Poomsae

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the new era of Poomsae what are the major changes that have been made since the conception of the Tae Gueks and how has it changed your training.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In years past both taeguek and palgue were taught together. Now the taegueks are taught after 1st dan. Don't know why, but I thought that teaching both had a more "balanced" feel.(can't explain it any other way)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I am USAT and have players that go to nationals we only do the Taegueks for the underbelts.. We have changed the our way of doing some of the forms after the Dart Fish DVDs came out.

As for changing the way we train for sparring, none, really. The new 7 point spread and 12 point cap in the sparring rules have made the major differences. There is no more getting 1 point ahead and bouncing or running till time runs out to win the match. Also with all ties being decided by sudden death the old rule of "most points before deductions" has also changed the ways of play. Not only do you have to train for the endurance needed in a long match but also for the explosive speed needed to win in the 1 point match. I feel they are a lot more fun to watch and to train for.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You do relize that the Dart fish DVD is out dated and the corrected Poomsae is on the Kukkiwon website. Just thought I would share that with you.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. sure do. A couple of friends of mine went to the National Poomse Trails and were told then that they were already outdated. Sigh..........
I've changed them so many times and as of right now I don't have anyone competeing at that level so I'm thinking of maybe just waiting a week or two till they chang again and see what happens. Ya know, it's like those darn gloves and boots, who knows what will be required tomorrow, or even before I submit this reply.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep. sure do. A couple of friends of mine went to the National Poomse Trails and were told then that they were already outdated. Sigh..........
I've changed them so many times and as of right now I don't have anyone competeing at that level so I'm thinking of maybe just waiting a week or two till they chang again and see what happens. Ya know, it's like those darn gloves and boots, who knows what will be required tomorrow, or even before I submit this reply.

you are exactly right

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Was looking at the new again changes today, not too bad. TG 6 and 7 changed the height on a couple of blocks, Koryo went to a high side kick but other than that no major changes till Sip Jin. Chongwon looks pretty much the way I used to practice it till I changed it with the Dartfish DVD's. Hansu still pretty much the same.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
It has not changed in our school we still just do basic 1 thru 8 and 1thru 8 Palguye's. All the best in the arts

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wade, what are the major changes in Sipjin? I've got the Kukkiwon textbook and DVDs (but not the dartfish ones that high) and haven't noticed any changes.

Many thanks.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the new era of Poomsae what are the major changes that have been made since the conception of the Tae Gueks and how has it changed your training.

The Tae Guek forms were created and introduced in 1974. Has anyone here been training in WTF TKD since before then?

R. McLain

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Tae Guek forms were created and introduced in 1974. Has anyone here been training in WTF TKD since before then?

R. McLain

Master McLain they have made slit various to the form over the last year, The new Dartfish video is outdated as of about 6 months ago at the Cleveland National they where given the changes moments before competing and that is what this thread is about. They are trying to standardnize all Poomsae for competition and not such a array of the exact same poomsae.

I beleive they are trying to make competition on an equal basis for all competitors

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Master McLain they have made slit various to the form over the last year, The new Dartfish video is outdated as of about 6 months ago at the Cleveland National they where given the changes moments before competing and that is what this thread is about. They are trying to standardnize all Poomsae for competition and not such a array of the exact same poomsae.

I beleive they are trying to make competition on an equal basis for all competitors

Thanks, Terry.

I don't follow WTF, so I didn't know about those changes.

R. McLain

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although I have not had a chance to look at the entire competition, I have a 2 dvd set from the 1st World Poomsae Championships held this past October. I bought it from Vision USA which is a USAT sponsor (here's a plug for them!-www.mykick.com).

What I have seen is that the "changes" to the poomsae are essentially how they were presented at the Foreign Instructor Course at the Kukkiwon.

Miles

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I have not had a chance to look at the entire competition, I have a 2 dvd set from the 1st World Poomsae Championships held this past October. I bought it from Vision USA which is a USAT sponsor (here's a plug for them!-www.mykick.com).

What I have seen is that the "changes" to the poomsae are essentially how they were presented at the Foreign Instructor Course at the Kukkiwon.

Miles

Sir I do believe you are right according to what I was told they new changes go hand to hand what was thought at the instructor course.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Koryo went to a high side kick

If you are talking about the second sidekick on each side of the first bar, this is the only change I've heard about in the last 5 or 10 years that makes any sense.

About time they did that: a low-ranking black belt form like that SHOULD require the high side kick.

So is it, "belt, head" or "knee, head" ? I would be in favor of EITHER over the old "knee, belt" requirement.

IMO, knee, head looks best to me, and is more realistic as the ranges should be about the same. (This is the way I will ALWAYS practice the form, regardless of whatever the "official" method of the moment is).

But then, belt, head would be a bit more difficult and is also nice.

As far as other changes (such as shortened stances, for example) don't EVEN get me started on THAT subject :mad:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scott it is Knee and then head in the ne way of things. I personally like it knee and then side of rib cage but that is just me maybe those head kick are getting harder to do.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know, even with the "new" changes to poomseh, there are still no high kicks in any. Chest level should be the highest kick in any of them.

But then again, I could be wrong.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you watch the DVD Miles mentions, the winning Korean practitioners kick to the face but not above it. I was at the team trials and they told us not to do that.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scott it is Knee and then head in the ne way of things. I personally like it knee and then side of rib cage but that is just me maybe those head kick are getting harder to do.

You like knee/ribs for your personal use only, or is that the way you like your 1st dans to do it, too?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you watch the DVD Miles mentions, the winning Korean practitioners kick to the face but not above it. I was at the team trials and they told us not to do that.

That's reasonable to me in that it is practical. It is nice to train kicking higher than your own face, however, for those taller guys you come across.

But I've seen some people go overboard on height, kicking straight up. I never really had the ability to kick THAT high (but then, I never met anyone with a head up that high, either :))

Latest Discussions