Polycotton vs Cotton Gi

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Dogi" is the term always used in Japan. After years of only hearing of "gi" here in the USA, that's the term I still use unless I'm talking to a Japanese. Don't want to be a crude Westerner. I also use "bokken."

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
The United States is mostly a nation of immigrants who originally did not speak English. We as a society have adopted many thing from other cultures. Sometimes the pronunciation or name changes aw we here use or adopt it. Not at all unusual. Even for adoptions from other English speaking cultures. I once hear it said that "Great Britain and the United States are two nations separated by a common language."

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Dogi" is the term always used in Japan. After years of only hearing of "gi" here in the USA, that's the term I still use unless I'm talking to a Japanese. Don't want to be a crude Westerner. I also use "bokken."
‘Gi’… is just the sort of sound a baby makes before it barfs 🤢🤮 ’Geeeee’.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Gi’… is just the sort of sound a baby makes before it barfs 🤢🤮 ’Geeeee’.
Mine always made a series of grunts first. Maybe it’s because they dragged their knuckles when they walked…🤔

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and your point is........
Since it isn’t a Japanese word, or even a word really, then either call it by it’s correct name(s) or call it ‘training gear’ or ‘yogurt on your foot’…anything but ‘gheeee’ 🤢🤮

Latest Discussions