Police should not be allowed to use lethal force????

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok so not to long ago I heard some one complaining that police should not be able to use lethal force. I don't get it.
Can anybody thing of any REAL justification for saying this.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
someguy said:
Ok so not to long ago I heard some one complaining that police should not be able to use lethal force. I don't get it.
Can anybody thing of any REAL justification for saying this.
Cost effective alternatives for one.
sean

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The family/friends of the dead suspect will sometimes say that. What people sometimes overlook is that circumstances at the time may lend to LEOs needing to use lethal force.

Of course, that doesn't answer your question.

There are a few "bad apples" in every profession, including law enforcement. There are inexperienced officers. (They almost always are paired with an experienced partner though). Mistakes can and do happen. In a few situations, lethal force might not be necessary. Nevertheless, the use of lethal force could be generally justified based on circumstances and what information is available to the LEOs. LEOs aren't mind readers. Information can be given too late, or sometimes intentionally withheld from LEOs by family members that could have made a difference. Simply put, the LEOs go with what they see, hear, and know at the time when using lethal force.

It would not be a good idea if the power to use lethal force is totally taken away from LEOs. Removing that power from LEOs is not going to change the criminals. There are some people that will not stop what they're doing, even if told to do so. These are extremely dangerous individuals and sometimes the only way to finally stop them is by lethal means--even if that person may be "sweet Pookums who wouldn't hurt a fly".

- Ceicei

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is an LEO not still a citizen of this country? I have the right as a citizen to use reasonable force, even lethal if warrented, to defend myself. LEOs PUT themselves in harms way to protect the public. How can anyone justify a blanket denial of the right to defend oneself simply because of the uniform they wear?

C

c2kenpo

theletch1 said:
Is an LEO not still a citizen of this country? I have the right as a citizen to use reasonable force, even lethal if warrented, to defend myself. LEOs PUT themselves in harms way to protect the public. How can anyone justify a blanket denial of the right to defend oneself simply because of the uniform they wear?

Jeff once again thank you!! Great post.

Yes our legal system was made although it has it fair shar of loopholes and problems to cover EVERYONE. The good , bad, and the ugly.

LEO's are faced with things that we as citizens do not face on a regular basis. LEO's are called upon to make judgement calls and decisions that some may not agree with. Unfortunatly the LEO's are also faced agasint guns and weapons that are lethal in nature, the only defense the have is twofold.

One. Retailiate with the use of lethal force or
Two. Allow that criminal element to walk around society armed and obviously dangerous.

We now have a complex and very multilayered society of values , beliefs, and moral ethics. Unfortunatly not everyone can have what they want, thus the democratic socoeity we have created.

I can agreee with you that we disagree but I have to respect your position. Now lets come to a mutualy beneficial solution to our challenge.

As far as the sense of LEO's not being able to use lethal force???
I can't imagine the logic of someone making that statement and being able to irefutabbly be able to argue it's validity.
I'n my opinion the statement is simply politicing on some level.

JMHO
and hops off the :soapbox:

Dave Gunzburg

Latest Discussions