Police Shoot man in wheelchair

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I. Of all people. Don't like to second guess my brothers, but this one is obviously open to a number of questions.

[yt]pnDSC2QnLWw[/yt]

Prime example of why Tasers were developed. But this is San Francisco...home of the liberal "tasers KILL people" pantywaists. Well when the police have nothing but guns to deal with wheelchair bound (I believe he was rolling down the street slashing tires) criminals this is an unfortunate result. Still, I have to wonder about the tactics of getting so close and the need to shoot.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 cop reportedly used a non lethal bean bag shot, another used lethal force.
Man in chair reportedly was just sitting in it, but able to walk otherwise.
1 report says he lunged at the cops, another says he had already dropped the knife and was raising his hands when shot.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks problematic, but there's not enough that I can see in the video to do much analysis. Guy apparently had a knife; whether he was truly confined to the wheelchair or not is a minor issue. I've seen folks who were wheelchair bound who were very agile and very fast on their wheels. I do agree that they got too close -- but I don't know what led them to close in. They may have had a plan in place, and been forced to change, for example.

Based on the notes Bob found the PoliceOne posting -- it looks like less lethal wasn't effective. He still had a knife; he still presented a lethal threat. But I also agree; this could have been a great incident for a Taser.

Latest Discussions