Police brutality.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I can understand that....when you overhear cops talking "shop" between themselves though its like dojo "war stories". Like telling the story about how your buddy jumped around, screaming like a little girl when you inadvertently stomped on his toe. It was different when it happened but you get a laugh out of it now.....is this the case here? I dont know, maybe this guys a loose cannon. But keep that in mind.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading in my local paper about an alleged "drug dealer" who used BJJ to escape being handcuffed.

Still, I wouldn't reccomend relying on your hands and feet to get away from 5-0. They got guns after all.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Dont take this the wrong way, but just because you "feel" youve done nothing wrong dosent mean you havent. What kind of "system" would you recommend? One where we have to have 2 lawyers and a judge at the scene to determine if an arrest is warranted? I can fully understand and sympathize with a person whos been arrested in instances like I previously mentioned. From my point of view however, very few people say "yes officer I did it, please take me to jail." I hear "I didnt do it!" from people Ive observed "doing it". If I had a hand held 100% reliable lie detector, my job would be so much easier.

Ha ha, I didn't recommend a solution for a better system since I can't think of one. :) Maybe I miscommunicated, I was trying to say that generally, LEOs expect people to be compliant under all circumstances, since they represent the powers that be and are just trying to sort out a situation and resolve it, however, this is where a fundamental disconnect can happen. People that believe they are innocent of wrongdoing may not want to be put into the system for very good reason and may choose to express themselves in some fashion and from an LEO standpoint this could lead to an escalation of action, since of course, from their perspective, they're always in the right.

I didn't really want to tell this story, but this is how I got my point of view. In college a girlfriend of mine was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend. I was on the phone with her one night when he broke into her apartment and started beating her up. I lived about three miles away. This being before everyone carried a cell phone, I drove up as fast as could and didn't call 911 until I arrived at her dorm. The ex had already left. When the police finally arrived, they immediately claimed they could smell marijuana smoke. This was before they even asked my GF whether or not she was ok and needed medical attention. We hadn't been smoking, and the smell, well it was a college dorm for chrissakes, it's soaked into the walls. I got upset with the deputy because he seemed to have no interest in going after the ex, or the medical condition of my GF, just in the source of the pot smell. I got in an argument with him (nothing physical) and I ended up being in "the system" for about a day, missed a test and a class. My frustration was rooted in the fact we called for help, and what we got in return was the shaft. The ex, on the other hand, never suffered any repercussions, as I recall. On a happy note, the girlfriend healed up all right.

So I feel some individuals in the law enforcement community have misguided priorities. Hey, we're all human, right? I believe they are truly the exception, I have utmost respect for most LEOs--the majority of whom regard their jobs as protectors of the community first. But overzealous, powerblinded LEOs are out there. One episode of COPS should provide sufficient evidence of this. The power an LEO weilds honestly frightens me, since in the wrong hands it can result in life-altering encounters.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Ha ha, I didn't recommend a solution for a better system since I can't think of one. :) Maybe I miscommunicated, I was trying to say that generally, LEOs expect people to be compliant under all circumstances, since they represent the powers that be and are just trying to sort out a situation and resolve it, however, this is where a fundamental disconnect can happen. People that believe they are innocent of wrongdoing may not want to be put into the system for very good reason and may choose to express themselves in some fashion and from an LEO standpoint this could lead to an escalation of action, since of course, from their perspective, they're always in the right.

I didn't really want to tell this story, but this is how I got my point of view. In college a girlfriend of mine was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend. I was on the phone with her one night when he broke into her apartment and started beating her up. I lived about three miles away. This being before everyone carried a cell phone, I drove up as fast as could and didn't call 911 until I arrived at her dorm. The ex had already left. When the police finally arrived, they immediately claimed they could smell marijuana smoke. This was before they even asked my GF whether or not she was ok and needed medical attention. We hadn't been smoking, and the smell, well it was a college dorm for chrissakes, it's soaked into the walls. I got upset with the deputy because he seemed to have no interest in going after the ex, or the medical condition of my GF, just in the source of the pot smell. I got in an argument with him (nothing physical) and I ended up being in "the system" for about a day, missed a test and a class. My frustration was rooted in the fact we called for help, and what we got in return was the shaft. The ex, on the other hand, never suffered any repercussions, as I recall. On a happy note, the girlfriend healed up all right.

So I feel some individuals in the law enforcement community have misguided priorities. Hey, we're all human, right? I believe they are truly the exception, I have utmost respect for most LEOs--the majority of whom regard their jobs as protectors of the community first. But overzealous, powerblinded LEOs are out there. One episode of COPS should provide sufficient evidence of this. The power an LEO weilds honestly frightens me, since in the wrong hands it can result in life-altering encounters.
Could it also be that you were rightfully concerned and upset for your GF, but expressed it in a way that didn't help the situation at all? Hind sight being 20/20 you should have called first and then left. You know that now it seems, but where I think there is a confusion over who is responsible for what. Cops are not responsible for anyones emotional state, nor are they responsible for how poorly a person maintains composure.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I understand that. However, if an officer is being a jerk or not listening to me, I refuse to just take it. I'm not anti police. Not at all. I am pro sticking up for myself if I have to. If a police officer is being rough with me and does not listen to my complaints, I will stick up for myself. If he tries to use a stick or spray or whatever, I will respond appropriately.
We have this mentality in this country that a police officer can do no wrong and is always right. 99% of the time he probably is. But again, I will stick up for myself if it comes down to it, and I mean no disrespect against cops.
HAHAHAHA LOL Good Luck with that!

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remained relatively calm given the situation. As for calling first, yeah, I probably should have, but listening to someone I cared about getting hit on the other end of the phone sort of skewed my judgement.

After getting grilled on the dope matter for a couple minutes I just asked the deputy why he wasn't focused on what I had called him about in the first place--the threat of the ex and my GF's welfare. He then got emotional and escalated the hostility of the exchange. You had to be there, hard to describe. He was cursing a lot, being generally disrespectful to both of us. I only expressed my displeasure with his priorities. I wasn't expecting him to be some kind of crisis counselor, just prioritize the issues--My GF's safety and the apprehension of the threat rather than some imagined drug infraction.

It's a really long story. I've thought about it a bit over the years and, devoid of emotion, I still see the situation the same way. In retrospect, I probably should have called an ambulance first to keep everyone's priorities on track. The deputy was later reprimanded by his superior in front of me for his behavior toward me, but that's another segment of the story.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
It's a really long story. I've thought about it a bit over the years and, devoid of emotion, I still see the situation the same way. In retrospect, I probably should have called an ambulance first to keep everyone's priorities on track. The deputy was later reprimanded by his superior in front of me for his behavior toward me, but that's another segment of the story.
I think this part of your story is important when talking about "The Police" in general.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
"I think this part of your story is important when talking about "The Police" in general."

The reprimand wasn't for his handling of the scene, but his continued harassment of me while I was trying to write a statement back at the station. His sergeant referred to him in confidence to me as young and perhaps a little too "gung-ho."

The only way I am referring to the police in general is in regard to the power they all possess. As I've stated, I think most LEOs are good people, but they are human and individuals. There are those that might be tempted to abuse that kind of power, and there are many documented cases of this. There would not be internal affairs departments if this wasn't the reality.

But, as I said, I don't have a better solution to offer except for maybe tighter entrance screening, continued training, and active discouragement of an US VS. THEM mentality.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cant disagree with anything you said there....and you are right about cops being "individuals". The only way to screen out the bad ones is not to be afraid to report them if they act dishonorably. Just dont report them because you want "revenge" for getting a ticket though. That happens too.

M

muaythaifreak

psi_radar said:
"But, as I said, I don't have a better solution to offer except for maybe tighter entrance screening, continued training, and active discouragement of an US VS. THEM mentality.
The "us vs them" mentality is a survival mechanism, and is necessary to some extent. If a police officer approached every situation with full trust in the individuals in question not to harm them, there would be a lot of dead cops out there. You must remember, most of the people officers come into contact with are not happy about them being there and a good number of them would just as soon shoot a cop as to give them a statement. I hate to put it this way, but if it comes down to hurting someones feelings in order to go home at night, I'm gonna hurt some feelings. Cops are not there to make you feel good about yourself, or to make you feel good about the situation you are in. First and foremost is officer safety. They are there to protect you and to enforce laws. (dead cops cannot do this.) And if he thinks there are drugs around, there is a good chance that there are people using those drugs, and in most cases if there are drugs, there are weapons and people unconcerned with using those weapons. You must remember, not everyone thinks like you and not everyone respects the police. Therefore, it is necessary to an officers survival that he treat you as though you are a threat. Cops do not know you, they do not know that you mean them no harm. A large percentage of the people they deal with on a regular basis DO mean them harm if they get the chance to inflict some. A cop who does not approach you as a threat is a careless cop. Do not take this as if I'm saying that cops should be rude and uncaring, they should however come across as confident and in charge. One can be polite and still be effective. But if impoliteness is what it takes to get control of the situation, I'm all for it. Your feelings are secondary to my safety.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
muaythaifreak said:
Cops are not there to make you feel good about yourself, or to make you feel good about the situation you are in. First and foremost is officer safety. ......You must remember, not everyone thinks like you and not everyone respects the police. Therefore, it is necessary to an officers survival that he treat you as though you are a threat. Cops do not know you, they do not know that you mean them no harm. A large percentage of the people they deal with on a regular basis DO mean them harm if they get the chance to inflict some. A cop who does not approach you as a threat is a careless cop. Do not take this as if I'm saying that cops should be rude and uncaring, they should however come across as confident and in charge. Your feelings are secondary to my safety.
It's due to these facts that we civilians, who are NOT about breaking the law as a course of our regular activities, can best assist the system by just following orders when they're given. If we want our tax dollars to work efficiently, let these guys do their jobs. If you've done nothing wrong, what's to worry about? If you have, accept the consequences and move on.

D

Disco

Anybody see the recent arrest (today on fox news) of the L.A.P.D. and the stolen car suspect?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That link is excellent. I *heart* Chris Rock.

I have met some very nice police officers, and have heard stories about some that were not too favorable of the officers.

The only way I am referring to the police in general is in regard to the power they all possess. As I've stated, I think most LEOs are good people, but they are human and individuals. There are those that might be tempted to abuse that kind of power, and there are many documented cases of this.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a true story, which should be verifiable if you search CBC.ca (Canadian News.)

A couple of years back, near the outskirts of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, the body of a Native Canadian man was found frozen to death in a field. He appeared to have died wearing little more than a t-shirt, shoes and pants.

It was discovered that the last place anyone had seen him was in the back of a police car. It was later determined that this was a regular occurrence. The Saskatoon Police would, on occasion, pick up a Native person for pulic intoxication or disturbing the peace or whatever, and take them out of town and drop them off, basically just to keep them out of everyone's hair until they could make their way back to town. But this time they had done it in the middle of winter.

Saskatchewan winters are brutal. Nighttime temperatures dip below -76 degrees Farenheit. People can freeze pretty quickly, particularly without appropriate winter gear.

There are currently 2 officers on trial for this event.

Latest Discussions