Police brutality.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Generally, when the officer approaches your vehicle, he will do it apprehensively, coming no closer then the center post, or where the front and back window meet, so it is hard to see him without turning way around. It’s much easier to catch him in your rearview mirror and not distract him while he clears your back seat visually, making his job easier. Once you turn and start talking, you have taken his attention away. Once he visually sees no threat, back seat clear, hands in plain sight, he may approach your driver side window, but still slightly back, keeping his firearm out of reach. By the time he is at your window, he will have already asked you if you know why you are being stopped. At that time you should make eye contact, and answer truthfully and honestly, because like you said, it is your right as a citizen. By asking you this question, it gives him an opportunity to evaluate your speech and see your eyes, Whatever your answer is, he will at that time tell you why he pulled you over. At this time, he will ask for your license, registration and insurance card, or give you a warning, and you may be on your way. If you receive a ticket, this is not the time to argue, be polite and take it. You will have plenty of time in court to state your case to the judge.
Officer safety is a critical problem, when people cry police brutality. For your safety it is important that they feel safe. You may look at something as an inconvenience, like lights in your eyes, but everything they do is for a reason. And by the way, any good citizen, will consider their own safety, as well as officer safety while interacting.
Seasoned,
I'm with you. I want to feel safe when stopped, and I'd also like to accommodate the LEO. Pulling over so they're not out in traffic, letting them see inside the vehicle, offering a polite, non-combative attitude. The essence of my points is that the citizenry shouldn't need to play the "sheep" during stops.

Sounds like you have a lot more experience than I, having been stopped only a handful of times. Good stuff ...

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One time a cop pulled me over for speeding on the way home from my martial arts training. When he approached, I was wearing my uniform still, and unfortunately, had both my gim sword and my darn dao in my trunk, and my staff in the seat next to me, along with my training knife. When he came to my window, I had my hands on the steering wheel, looked up at him, and told him about the things in the trunk and what was next to me and who I was. He looked, saw I was telling the truth, ran my information, came back, stuck out his hand, I shook it, and he told me how much he appreciated me being up front and allaying his concerns as he saw the staff while coming up to me.

I have been pulled over 3-4 times in 50 years, all for speeding, and every time acted with respect, even when he was a jerk once. I later got 3 out of the 4 dismissed in court. Most cops I have met, and I have trained a few in self defense, only want common courtesy and respect. The few who do not, and I believe they are out there, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The only thing I have against some cops is their ability over the years to get out of shape, have no gradated self defense response, and shoot because they cannot catch the suspect. I believe police should be required to undergo periodic physical exams to ensure their health and ability to function on the street, and be given self defense training to control suspects. I understand this is very hard when the suspect is high or drunk, but I am speaking under normal circumstances. In Texas, where I live, many police currently employ tasers, but these can be ineffective due to aim, conditions, shape of suspect, etc. As I said, that is the only "complaint" I have against some officers.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
"controling a suspect" really only works when the suspect is co-operative or semi co-operative. The first thing a MA turned cop discovers is that all the fancy wrist locks and "control" techniques dont really work on someone who is "flat out" resisting or fighting. Thats when it comes down to a group of cops, a "beat down" (hands/batons/ Saps in the old days/etc.) or a taser/oc having to get the job done.

I have found that some control techniques are handy for manuvering a cuffed suspect around...just cause the bracelets go on doesnt mean that physical force is no longer necessary. Another thing many people dont understand.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
"controling a suspect" really only works when the suspect is co-operative or semi co-operative. The first thing a MA turned cop discovers is that all the fancy wrist locks and "control" techniques dont really work on someone who is "flat out" resisting or fighting. Thats when it comes down to a group of cops, a "beat down" (hands/batons/ Saps in the old days/etc.) or a taser/oc having to get the job done.

I have found that some control techniques are handy for manuvering a cuffed suspect around...just cause the bracelets go on doesnt mean that physical force is no longer necessary. Another thing many people dont understand.

As a cop with 12 years experience and as a defensive tactics instructor/martial artist cop, i've found that my experience in Judo and BJJ has helped me in controlling folks the most. The other tools (which I also instruct) such as the Taser, Pepper Spray, Baton, etc, are all great, but without a total approach, there are chinks in the armor that can get an officer in to real trouble.

As to wrist locks, armbars and the like, they are often difficult to pull off when dealing with sweaty, intoxicated who are merely passively resisting.....they are nearly impossible to pull off when someone is in active assault mode. The tools then are, as you say, the baton, the taser, the LVNR (lateral vascular neck restraint) and swarming techniques.

I'm a huge proponent of the LVNR as a control technique as developed by Jim Lindell and the Kansas City Missouri Police Department......based on the Judo hadaka jimi, or rear-naked choke, and standardized for 34 years.

The rear naked choke, in my opinion, is one of the highest percentage physical techniques that can be performed without a weapon. There's a reason why MMA matches often end with a choke And any department that doesn't make that technique available to the officers at some level is denying them one of the greatest tools of officer survival.

Latest Discussions