PNG 'sorry' for cannibal killings

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As soon as someone says "sorry" for things that happened in history, all the decendents of the "victims" start to bellow for compensation!!. To me it seems that saying sorry has lost its true meaning.
Nah, it just like Elizabeth Browning's poem only re-written by an attorney:
How much are you sorry?
Let me count the ways...
1 Million
2 Million
3 Million
4 Million.... (and so forth)

... at least until the lawyer's fee can pay off their new Rolls Royce with the deluxe leather interior.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
oops, I almost forgot.
I apologize to Selesia for my ancestor Frederick the Great of Prussia

Sorry Selesia

I'm sure Silesia forgives you.... but, as FTG undoubtedly offended my ancestors of the era in some battle or other, there is a small matter of reparations. Paying my supporting membership here for the next 3 years would be a suitable balm for an injury which has festered unrecompensed for centuries now.

Another thing, what is all this "the Great" business?

How come nobody ever claims to be descended from Siegfried the Mediocre or Alexander the So-so? I think this "the great" business adds some mental anguish to my damages. Make that 4 years of Supporting Membership - and you're getting off easy!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm sure Silesia forgives you.... but, as FTG undoubtedly offended my ancestors of the era in some battle or other, there is a small matter of reparations. Paying my supporting membership here for the next 3 years would be a suitable balm for an injury which has festered unrecompensed for centuries now.

Another thing, what is all this "the Great" business?

How come nobody ever claims to be descended from Siegfried the Mediocre or Alexander the So-so? I think this "the great" business adds some mental anguish to my damages. Make that 4 years of Supporting Membership - and you're getting off easy!

Well would anyone have followed a guy named Fred the Mediocre into battle :)

And actually I am not sure if I am a direct decendant of Fredrick's or his brother Prince Henry (the not so great) and if I can believe my ex-wife, and lord know I shouldn't, also related to the current royal family in England in some way and since it is always best to go for deep pockets.... :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The head of the mission, English pastor George Brown, avenged the killings by taking part in an expedition that resulted in the deaths of a number of tribespeople and the torching of several villages.

Ouch... turn the other cheek indeed.

From the avenging actions of the head of the mission, I'm going to guess that they where not the "Not interested? Ok, we'll be on our way." sort of missionaries.

Wonder if the church will apologize for killing their people, torching their villages and attempting to kill their belief systems...

Should they have to apologize? No, the people apologizing didn't do anything wrong, and you can't be held accountable for the actions of your ancestors IMO.

On the other hand the people are different, but the tribe / church / state / etc. often remain. A year from now the US will have a new president, very likely with a different political party. If whoever is running it pulls all troops out of the middle east do you think the Iraqi people would just go "Blank slate, you guys didn't do this, it was your predecessor. " No, the US still remains, even with different people running it. An apology on behalf of a individual is kind of pointless, but one on behalf of the country might help repair wounds.

Same as the church, yes, no one alive today had anything to do with the Inquisition. Most of the people that implemented and ran residential schools are dead as well. But the impact of those actions in peoples minds is still there. In the case of residential schools much more so then the inquisition as there are survivors of that still around. An apology is more a way of saying "We, as a organization, have changed. We regret the actions of our predecessors and agree that they where wrong, we promise not to repeat those actions."

At the end of the day people hold grudges against organizations and countries long after the people that ran them have died. Somewhere along the line someone has to step up and try to mend the wounds, even if they weren't alive when the wound was created. Sometimes even when there side was the ones doing the "right" thing.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The troops have enough problems without the type of frontline 'leadership' that this President, or Bill and Hellary Clinton, would render.

The only result would be meaningless apologies from their descendants in future centuries - who will probably still rule what's left of the country.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well would anyone have followed a guy named Fred the Mediocre into battle :)

And actually I am not sure if I am a direct decendant of Fredrick's or his brother Prince Henry (the not so great) and if I can believe my ex-wife, and lord know I shouldn't, also related to the current royal family in England in some way and since it is always best to go for deep pockets.... :)

How'd you get your ex-wife to come up with such an illustrious heritage for you?

Anything my ex would claim as to my origins, I should not want printed here! Actually, I'm not sure I'd want to hear the curent wife's speculations......

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch... turn the other cheek indeed.

From the avenging actions of the head of the mission, I'm going to guess that they where not the "Not interested? Ok, we'll be on our way." sort of missionaries.

Wonder if the church will apologize for killing their people, torching their villages and attempting to kill their belief systems...

Should they have to apologize? No, the people apologizing didn't do anything wrong, and you can't be held accountable for the actions of your ancestors IMO.

On the other hand the people are different, but the tribe / church / state / etc. often remain. A year from now the US will have a new president, very likely with a different political party. If whoever is running it pulls all troops out of the middle east do you think the Iraqi people would just go "Blank slate, you guys didn't do this, it was your predecessor. " No, the US still remains, even with different people running it. An apology on behalf of a individual is kind of pointless, but one on behalf of the country might help repair wounds.

Same as the church, yes, no one alive today had anything to do with the Inquisition. Most of the people that implemented and ran residential schools are dead as well. But the impact of those actions in peoples minds is still there. In the case of residential schools much more so then the inquisition as there are survivors of that still around. An apology is more a way of saying "We, as a organization, have changed. We regret the actions of our predecessors and agree that they where wrong, we promise not to repeat those actions."

At the end of the day people hold grudges against organizations and countries long after the people that ran them have died. Somewhere along the line someone has to step up and try to mend the wounds, even if they weren't alive when the wound was created. Sometimes even when there side was the ones doing the "right" thing.
But what timeframe is in order?

People want apologies for things done decades, centuries, even a millenium ago.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two cannibals meet one day. The first cannibal says, "You know, I just can't seem to get a tender Missionary. I've baked them, I've roasted them, I've stewed them, I've barbecued them, I've tried every sort of marinade. I just can't seem to get them tender."
The second cannibal asks, "What kind of Missionary do you use?"
The other replied, "You know, the ones that hang out at that place at the bend of the river. They have those brown cloaks with a rope around the waist and they're sort of bald on top with a funny ring of hair on their heads."
"Ah, ha!" the second cannibal replies. "No wonder ... those are FRIARS!"

Two missionaries in Africa were apprehended by a tribe of very hostile cannibals who put them in a large pot of water, build a huge fire under it, and left them there. A few minutes later, one of the missionaries started to laugh uncontrollably.
The other missionary was incredulous, and said, "What's wrong with you? We're being boiled alive! They're going to eat us! What could possibly be funny at a time like this?"
The laughing missionary said, "I just peed in their soup!"

These two cannibals kill a missionary. They argue for a while about how to divide him up, when finally, one of them says, "Okay. You start at the head and I'll start at the feet."
So they begin their tasty feast. After a while one of them says, "Hey, this is really great. I'm having a ball."
"Slow down!" cries the other cannibal "You're eating too fast!"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How'd you get your ex-wife to come up with such an illustrious heritage for you?

Anything my ex would claim as to my origins, I should not want printed here! Actually, I'm not sure I'd want to hear the curent wife's speculations......

I knew the Fred the Great stuff long before I meant her that is just a family thing. But the rest she came up with because she was a frustrated Historian. She studied history constantly and her specialty was European history and she had an infatuation with royalty and after reading several books she sat down and started telling me how, through Fred, I was connected to the Royal Family in England. I never really cared enough to look into it further so I have no idea if it is true or not, I am just trying to get you off of looking for reparations form me and pointing you in the direction of the Queen. :D

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But what timeframe is in order?

People want apologies for things done decades, centuries, even a millenium ago.

As long as the organization that committed the acts exists I imagine there will be people wanting apologies for past actions.

I really don't see what the harm is though, if the Church where too apologize for the crusades, that is good IMO. It's recognizing that those actions where a mistake, and represent a belief that the church no longer holds.

If the church wanted an apology for feeding Christians to lions, well they are going to have a hard time finding the Roman Empire to get it from.

But it really depends on the situation, for a long time the Catholic church has maintained that the popes words are the words of God, and infallible. So if a long dead pope did some very nasty things, combined with a statement that popes are infallible, then that might be seen as still supporting the actions of the long dead pope, in which case a "well, that was perhaps not one of his infallible moments" might be in order.

If people started demanding reparations, that is a different matter.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As long as the organization that committed the acts exists I imagine there will be people wanting apologies for past actions.

I really don't see what the harm is though, if the Church where too apologize for the crusades, that is good IMO. It's recognizing that those actions where a mistake, and represent a belief that the church no longer holds.

If the church wanted an apology for feeding Christians to lions, well they are going to have a hard time finding the Roman Empire to get it from.

But it really depends on the situation, for a long time the Catholic church has maintained that the popes words are the words of God, and infallible. So if a long dead pope did some very nasty things, combined with a statement that popes are infallible, then that might be seen as still supporting the actions of the long dead pope, in which case a "well, that was perhaps not one of his infallible moments" might be in order.

If people started demanding reparations, that is a different matter.

So do the Mohawk Indians (of the Iroquois Confederacy) owe the Jesuits an apology for killing off 3 of their priests (in the 1600s) who brought them the gift of small pox? Or do the Jesuits owe the Mohawks an apology for bringing them small pox? Or do we call it even?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never said the PNG folks owed an appology, as far as I am concerned they where on their land following their rules. Missionaries came in and tried to strip there beliefs and replace them, got what they deserved. Given the actions of their leader afterwards, I'm pretty sure they weren't there with terribly friendly intentions in the first place.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
or a long time the Catholic church has maintained that the popes words are the words of God, and infallible.

Just as a note, only when the pope speaks "ex cathedra" or "from the chair" and there are limits to how it is used and what it means. Catholics do not believe that the pope is infallible in everything he says ('ex cathedra' has only been used once since 1870 and that was on a matter of doctrine)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or a long time the Catholic church has maintained that the popes words are the words of God, and infallible.

Just as a note, only when the pope speaks "ex cathedra" or "from the chair" and there are limits to how it is used and what it means. Catholics do not believe that the pope is infallible in everything he says ('ex cathedra' has only been used once since 1870 and that was on a matter of doctrine)

Only once since then? Didn't the words of the Pope hold more weight on a frequent basis when he speaks out every now and then each year from the Vatican?

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions