PNG 'sorry' for cannibal killings

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate this kind of stuff, you should not have to apologize for something that you were in no way involved in....what does it matter if you apologize for something that your great great grandfather did....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The New Guinians should have eaten a few more of the missionaries. Maybe they would have only ended up like the maori instead...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate to see that the PC mindset is expanding that far. It has always bugged me to see others apologize for the actions of someone else when the apologizer had absolutely nothing to do with the initial actions.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, (white) Americans were supposed to apologize to (black) Americans for the Slavery, Americans in general were supposed to apologize to Japan for the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, supposed to apologize to Native Americans for atrocities committed in the 1800's, Germans were supposed to apologize for the Holocaust, NOBODY seems interested in trying to make Russia or the former USSR apologize for their actions against Jews behind the Iron Curtain. Japanese were supposed to apologize for actions against the Chinese during World War II, hmm, lessee... oh ok, the Brits for their actions against India when that country was seeking it's independence... Lets not forget (white) Aussies for trying to wipe out Aborigines in their respective country....

Gee seems everybody owes somebody somewhere an apology. Except of course ... hmm... Eskimos, Aborigines, tribes deep in Amazonian/African jungles, and a few other indigenous peoples.

Are they gonna get it?
Should they?
I'm not going to apologize for slavery or native american massacres, or for the bombings of two Japanese cities at the height of a long and terrible war where the other side-just-wouldn't-give-up even after they knew they were going to lose... I didn't do it, I didn't influence it, I didn't plan it, I sure as hell didn't WANT it to happen.

The PC natives shouldn't be coerced into saying apologies for something their forefathers did either. It was a way of life and that way meant survival for them and their families.
Present population can be like I am... ashamed of actions of their forefathers if they want to be. But to say "we're sorry" ?? Nope.
That sounds more like Lawyer gobby-gook speak to me.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I've said, applying modern "values", if we actually have any, to past situations is fruitless.

The apology and reparations racket is dandy, for some, and it keeps the hate alive. We're getting like the Balkans with that. We recycle more hate than we do paper or glass.

Rather than all this venom about who ate whom in 1878, or who said a racist thing in 1868, or who broke their word in 1834....... know what I'd like to see? A resolve to start behavng fairly and justly starting right now.

I'd like to see a state governor invite local Native Americans over for Thanksgiving. "Let's try this again, and keep it going..."

I'd love to see a Jewish temple invite that heroic Askari hero over - and bring some Muslim friends - let's end the killing. How about a couple of imams returning the favor and repudiating the extremists? How about a Catholic Bishop buying them all lunch? And so on for the other religions...and ethnic groups.....

Instead of the rabidly partisan political exchanges, I'd like to see people on this Forum seek out others who are different and get to know them.

Instead of reparations, I'd rather see regeneration..... a determination on a personal and societal level to end all this starting in 2008.

Why let the assassins, the hate mongers, the homicide bombers, the corrupt politicians define our era?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't believe in apologizing for things beyond my control. If my great-great grandfather shot yours, either your's had it coming, or he should have apologized.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it makes the people feel better why not do it? If for whatever reason they feel guilt or shame over something that happened in the past.. then they can say sorry and make amends. If they don't (or you don't) then let the past be past. But it think its really low to bashing them for doing something as simple as saying sorry and lighting a few candles.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as they're good Christians now and say grace before eating I suppose it's alright :shrug:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, nothing wrong with them trying to be polite, but I agree with the PC concerns. It was a different time and place.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I've said, applying modern "values", if we actually have any, to past situations is fruitless.

The apology and reparations racket is dandy, for some, and it keeps the hate alive. We're getting like the Balkans with that. We recycle more hate than we do paper or glass.

Rather than all this venom about who ate whom in 1878, or who said a racist thing in 1868, or who broke their word in 1834....... know what I'd like to see? A resolve to start behavng fairly and justly starting right now.

I'd like to see a state governor invite local Native Americans over for Thanksgiving. "Let's try this again, and keep it going..."

I'd love to see a Jewish temple invite that heroic Askari hero over - and bring some Muslim friends - let's end the killing. How about a couple of imams returning the favor and repudiating the extremists? How about a Catholic Bishop buying them all lunch? And so on for the other religions...and ethnic groups.....

Instead of the rabidly partisan political exchanges, I'd like to see people on this Forum seek out others who are different and get to know them.

Instead of reparations, I'd rather see regeneration..... a determination on a personal and societal level to end all this starting in 2008.

Why let the assassins, the hate mongers, the homicide bombers, the corrupt politicians define our era?

You and I think along the same lines. We cannot control what happened in the past but we sure can control and hopefully improve what happens in the here and now and also in the future!
icon6.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Does this mean I have to apologize for Frederick the Great of Prussia for his part in starting the 7 years war... and invading Selesia, even though neither Prussia or Selesia exists any longer……he is one of my ancestors

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does this mean I have to apologize for Frederick the Great of Prussia for his part in starting the 7 years war... and invading Selesia, even though neither Prussia or Selesia exists any longer……he is one of my ancestors
In YOUR case..... yes.

(j/k)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's call it half an apology then. The Catholics have gone back to calling for my forcible conversion, and it's not clear whether the Pope has gone back to calling down "G-d's curse on the perfidious Jew". The Protestant Fundamentalists have stated that I'm supposed to be shipped off to Israel to be killed so that Jesus will be able to return (as if anything a human being did could compel the All in All). The Baptists have declared that I am to be made a target of repeated conversion attempts whether I'm interested or not.

Individual Christians are great. I'm a bit fed up with the major denominations when they get a taste of power and the bit between their teeth.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's call it half an apology then. The Catholics have gone back to calling for my forcible conversion, and it's not clear whether the Pope has gone back to calling down "G-d's curse on the perfidious Jew". The Protestant Fundamentalists have stated that I'm supposed to be shipped off to Israel to be killed so that Jesus will be able to return (as if anything a human being did could compel the All in All). The Baptists have declared that I am to be made a target of repeated conversion attempts whether I'm interested or not.

Individual Christians are great. I'm a bit fed up with the major denominations when they get a taste of power and the bit between their teeth.
More bigotry is an apology for previous bigotry?

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More bigotry is an apology for previous bigotry?

I don't see bigotry there, I see statements of fact.

Can you prove any of those statements of fact?

Well, (white) Americans were supposed to apologize to (black) Americans for the Slavery, Americans in general were supposed to apologize to Japan for the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, supposed to apologize to Native Americans for atrocities committed in the 1800's, Germans were supposed to apologize for the Holocaust, NOBODY seems interested in trying to make Russia or the former USSR apologize for their actions against Jews behind the Iron Curtain. Japanese were supposed to apologize for actions against the Chinese during World War II, hmm, lessee... oh ok, the Brits for their actions against India when that country was seeking it's independence... Lets not forget (white) Aussies for trying to wipe out Aborigines in their respective country....

Gee seems everybody owes somebody somewhere an apology. Except of course ... hmm... Eskimos, Aborigines, tribes deep in Amazonian/African jungles, and a few other indigenous peoples.

Are they gonna get it?
Should they?
I'm not going to apologize for slavery or native american massacres, or for the bombings of two Japanese cities at the height of a long and terrible war where the other side-just-wouldn't-give-up even after they knew they were going to lose... I didn't do it, I didn't influence it, I didn't plan it, I sure as hell didn't WANT it to happen.

The PC natives shouldn't be coerced into saying apologies for something their forefathers did either. It was a way of life and that way meant survival for them and their families.
Present population can be like I am... ashamed of actions of their forefathers if they want to be. But to say "we're sorry" ?? Nope.
That sounds more like Lawyer gobby-gook speak to me.

I'm sorry that I'm so great, and so many others aint!

You're making sense here. Stop it. That is the last thing we need.

As long as they're good Christians now and say grace before eating I suppose it's alright :shrug:

Now that's funny. I always say grace before eating a missionary. But not a Fryer. Too fatty.

I dont appreciate that much.

Just remember, it's ok to kill a non-Christian. The Pope said so.
It's an old ruling, but I don't believe it was ever recinded.

But, let us continue the racism and bigotry here as we put modern values on ancient activities. It shines such a nice light on people. Ok, it's not a nice light, yer all ugly, and, and, your mothers dress you funny.
Now, lets all get together and kill each other for god like in the old days heh?

IV

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
As soon as someone says "sorry" for things that happened in history, all the decendents of the "victims" start to bellow for compensation!!. To me it seems that saying sorry has lost its true meaning.

Latest Discussions