PMA Styles?........

manofleisure

White Belt
Reaction score
Which style of Kali/Arnis/escrima has the better empty hand and grappling section of the arts?

I would also like the style to be light on the checking of the stick with the live hand since if it were a sword then I would have a few less fingers to type with.

I have access to Pekita Tersia an Inosanto Lacoste blend in my area. I have heard good things about both.If there is another style that fits my intentions then let me know
something please.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi manofleisure,

Welcome to MartialTalk!!!

Getting training in either of the styles that you mentioned would be cool since these systems and several others have dumog, "groundfighting", within them.

Also, hand checking does offer challenges and good systems give scenarios of when to check and when not to check. There are times in a bladed encounter that the combatants will find themselves in a "clinch" or on the ground but how to properly transition to and from these states are a skill within themselves.

Take care,

Palusut

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which style of Kali/Arnis/escrima has the better empty hand and grappling section of the arts?

In a way that is all dependant upon you. There is a tendency in a lot of FMA these days to be inclusive. By that, I mean that the teacher sees something and then says "we have that too". In the FMA all of the empty hands has to have a foundation in the weapon because that is the essence of the FMA. If you watch a class and the empty hands looks like TKD, then it probably is. If you watch a class and the stuff looks like BJJ, then it probably is too. If the empty handed techniques always refer back to the weapon, then that is FMA. I would just be aware. I would recommend looking for a style that has active practitioners in the Philippines and eschew those that say the art is dead there.

I would also like the style to be light on the checking of the stick with the live hand since if it were a sword then I would have a few less fingers to type with.

For what it's worth, it's always better to have fingers on the floor than intestines. Any style that teaches any type of corto is going to deal with checking. Checking a stick is a good thing. Checking a blade on the cutting edge is a bad thing. But checking the flat side or an unsharpened side is not. Likewise only checking on points off the weapon limits your ability and will also be detrimental. A good teacher will train you to recognize when to do which.

I have access to Pekita Tersia and Inosanto Lacoste blend in my area. I have heard good things about both.If there is another style that fits my intentions then let me know
something please.

Either one is good. I would suggest watching a class or two first and talking with the teacher about your concerns. From what I've seen with both styles, it doesn't matter which style as much as who is teaching it. Aside from the two that you mentioned, I would suggest looking for a group that teaches or has been influenced by the Doce Pares of GM Cacoy Canete or look for DBMA if you are specifically looking for grappling in your FMA.

Latest Discussions