Please Help Me With Kungfu

Reaction score
This is my first post sorry for any violation.

I wants to learn dragon kungfu for sake of my own interests. I am just fascinated by it. I tried to get consoled by learning some other style but still nothing interests me.

There are no dojos or even any sifu available nearby, and I dont want online classes I already had a lot of them for school and i will not be able to attend them flexibly.

Can U people please guide me how should I start, What steps should I take to get to a decent level ( I also don't expect to be an expert without proper conditioning) cause I can't find any complete tutorial about it on youtube or whole internet either and I want to learn it desparately. 😭😭

At this point all I know that there are two Schools — Southern shaolin(mostly punches ) and Northern Shaolin(most moves are kicks). And There are 16 form in dragon KungFu. Particularly I want to learn Southern Dragon KungFu(Lung Ying)

Can anyone please guide me🙇🙇

I will be highly obliged

Thanks and regards

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re making things very difficult for yourself by severely narrowing your wish list and further, excluding online teaching.

Are you wealthy enough to fly a Dragon Kung Fun Grandmaster in from China every week to teach you? Can you move to China? Are you looking for a book recommendation to learn from?

I think that in your situation you might have shelve your dream of learning Dragon Kung Fu and try something else, developing transferable skills, increasing your flexibility, strength and reflexes, until you’re wealthy enough to try the above options.

Have you considered trying creative writing instead of martial arts?

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My area is similar. I hope anyone in my area wanting to learn kung fu likes Wing Chun and Jow Ga, because there are quite a few schools here... but they're one of those two particular styles.

I wish ten different schools meant ten different styles, but that's unfortunately not the case. Karate around here has that same problem. Shorin-ryu and Shito-ryu dominate here.

OP
A
Reaction score
You’re making things very difficult for yourself by severely narrowing your wish list and further, excluding online teaching.

Are you wealthy enough to fly a Dragon Kung Fun Grandmaster in from China every week to teach you? Can you move to China? Are you looking for a book recommendation to learn from?

I think that in your situation you might have shelve your dream of learning Dragon Kung Fu and try something else, developing transferable skills, increasing your flexibility, strength and reflexes, until you’re wealthy enough to try the above options.

Have you considered trying creative writing instead of martial arts?
I know but life's quite hard for a middle class student I also have to prepare for engineering exam which do take heck lot of work, So I would be obliged if you could tell me about a book, or a youtube channel with proper tutorials.

🙇🙇

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe there is someone that lives in your area that knows this style and is looking for a training partner. Not sure where you live. In the USA we have sites like Nextdoor or Meetup that help people of like interests get together.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is my first post sorry for any violation.

I wants to learn dragon kungfu for sake of my own interests. I am just fascinated by it. I tried to get consoled by learning some other style but still nothing interests me.

There are no dojos or even any sifu available nearby, and I dont want online classes I already had a lot of them for school and i will not be able to attend them flexibly.

Can U people please guide me how should I start, What steps should I take to get to a decent level ( I also don't expect to be an expert without proper conditioning) cause I can't find any complete tutorial about it on youtube or whole internet either and I want to learn it desparately. 😭😭

At this point all I know that there are two Schools — Southern shaolin(mostly punches ) and Northern Shaolin(most moves are kicks). And There are 16 form in dragon KungFu. Particularly I want to learn Southern Dragon KungFu(Lung Ying)

Can anyone please guide me🙇🙇

I will be highly obliged

Thanks and regards
You have focused on a rare and seldom seen style, even in China, why?

My recommendation is to look to any style, of any martial art near you, and give then a try. If you want a lot of striking, might I suggest Wing Chun

OP
A
Reaction score
Maybe there is someone that lives in your area that knows this style and is looking for a training partner. Not sure where you live. In the USA we have sites like Nextdoor or Meetup that help people of like interests get together.
I live in India bro 🤕🤕 people here always learn taekwondo even without thinking. Always not anything else just taekwondo for no reason.
😓😓😓

OP
A
Reaction score
You have focused on a rare and seldom seen style, even in China, why?

My recommendation is to look to any style, of any martial art near you, and give then a try. If you want a lot of striking, might I suggest Wing Chun
I guess u sound sensible bro but When u want a dream can't settle for any less

OP
A
Reaction score
Can u name or tell me about any BOOK or WEBSITE even i am ready to get through books too just to learn. I am not like I want to bluff around but It's just like a dream for me which I want to achieve. Might sound Superficial but actually true.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are trying to let you down gently, but here's the reality.
You cannot learn martial arts from videos. Nor properly. There are too many subtleties of balance, positioning, etc that you ARE going to have wrong without a competent instructor.
Books and videos can be excellent supplements to an instructor, but they are in no way a replacement.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you decided on a style, despite knowing pretty much nothing at all about it, and it not being around you? What do you like about the style..the name? I'm sure there's a style with a cool name somewhere close to you

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you decided on a style, despite knowing pretty much nothing at all about it, and it not being around you? What do you like about the style..the name? I'm sure there's a style with a cool name somewhere close to you
Yeah good point, if the OP can determine what characteristics of the style they like, maybe broadening out to find a style with very similar characteristics would be a good way to go (especially if this particular style is very rare)

OP
A
Reaction score
India? You have Musti-yuddha there! The rest of the world wishes they had that!
Musti-yuddha ?! We have Kalaripayattu, it also derives each of its moves from animals, musti-yuddha requires bulky bodies(And I am lean 😓😓) to wrestle (😭 They won't even think before crushing a 17 years old lad)

OP
A
Reaction score
Name ??! Its not the name that fascinated me I know more bunch of fascinating name than Lung Ying all I was influenced was by its principle and its moves, the fluidity in transition from one posture, and all the forms of It.

Latest Discussions