Please critique my front kick

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not the described technique.
maybe not, but then the technique is iffy, you shouldn't be throwing two front kicks in a row, that the surest way to get your leg grabbed,or at least make sure he is out of range therefore the correct place to land! the leg is were ever is right for what comes next, which may be a step forward if your attacking or a step back, if he is countering, in fact anywhere but where it started from

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't really need heaps of power. You just need to aim it.

This is the number one move I drop people in sparring with.
OK... I've got to say... that brings a certain image to mind... and certainly, if you did aim a front kick correctly you would drop people with it... if it were aimed at a certain target zone!

Bam! Ooooooo….

Um. Sorry.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's not the described technique.
All kicks serve for the following purposes.

- Hurt your opponent.
- Cover the distance.
- Set up for your next kick.
- Set up for your next punch.

If you don't kick your opponent, your opponent may kick you. It's better to kick your opponent and put him in defense instead of the other way around. When you do that, your goal is not to hurt your opponent, but to control the fight.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
maybe not, but then the technique is iffy, you shouldn't be throwing two front kicks in a row, that the surest way to get your leg grabbed,or at least make sure he is out of range therefore the correct place to land! the leg is were ever is right for what comes next, which may be a step forward if your attacking or a step back, if he is countering, in fact anywhere but where it started from

Who said anything about two front kicks in a row?

I said a second kick, not a second front kick.

So, you could check their advance with a front kick, then get in a side piercing kick, or a turning kick, or a hook kick - all from the same chamber.

But that's discounting the fact that during practice, return to chamber before returning to stance is just how it is.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought this was supposed to be about a tkd version of a front kick - hence the op making the point of stating his tkd grade?

If however it's really "modify your kick to suit xyz system or my different methodology" then there's really no point in my ongoing participation...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even in TKD sparring, your opponent is a moving target. You kick. your opponent steps back. Do you pull your kick back, or do you step in?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who said anything about two front kicks in a row?

I said a second kick, not a second front kick.

So, you could check their advance with a front kick, then get in a side piercing kick, or a turning kick, or a hook kick - all from the same chamber.

But that's discounting the fact that during practice, return to chamber before returning to stance is just how it is.
but that's the point I'm making the practise is wrong, the place you don't want to be is where you just were, he is either out range and your not going to hit anything or coming in at you as with draw the leg, therefore practising return to the same position is counter productive, why practise something that is border line useless ?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even in TKD sparring, your opponent is a moving target. You kick. your opponent steps back. Do you pull your kick back, or do you step in?

Pull back.

If they're still moving backwards, I can then step in. If they change and come toward me, I can then step back to maintain range. If they go to the side, I can match them. If they just stop, I can get another kick of some sort.

In the video you showed, he's off balance at the point of presumed impact, the only way he's going is forward. If his opponent dodged back from his kick and then came back at him, he's effectively falling directly into their counter attack. I've had that happen to me when I started with sparring, and I've taken advantage of that myself plenty of times too.

Some things are worth that level of commitment such that you only have one possible trajectory, but imo a front kick is far too low value to reduce my options to that extent.

That really should address what @jobo said too, but I'd be surprised if further argument didn't follow ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pull back.

If they're still moving backwards, I can then step in. If they change and come toward me, I can then step back to maintain range. If they go to the side, I can match them. If they just stop, I can get another kick of some sort.

In the video you showed, he's off balance at the point of presumed impact, the only way he's going is forward. If his opponent dodged back from his kick and then came back at him, he's effectively falling directly into their counter attack. I've had that happen to me when I started with sparring, and I've taken advantage of that myself plenty of times too.

Some things are worth that level of commitment such that you only have one possible trajectory, but imo a front kick is far too low value to reduce my options to that extent.

That really should address what @jobo said too, but I'd be surprised if further argument didn't follow ;)
but why pull your leg back and then step forward, when you can just drop the leg in a forward step, people general have trouble getting their leg back on the floor before I knock them over, the sooner it hits the ground the more stable they are

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
but why pull your leg back and then step forward, when you can just drop the leg in a forward step, people general have trouble getting their leg back on the floor before I knock them over, the sooner it hits the ground the more stable they are

I had someone in our club say that to me about 2 years ago.

He's yet to knock me over...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had someone in our club say that to me about 2 years ago.

He's yet to knock me over...
well may be he is poor or maybe your exceptional good? but I've had quite a few of. visiting blckbelts from associated clubs sat on their bums, I just need to be 6" out of range and they are over. just take the standing leg or just shoulder charge them. they never do it again, they make sure there retreating

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but why pull your leg back and then step forward, when you can just drop the leg in a forward step,
Thanks for helping me to make my point clear. IMO, to pull back and then step in is a wasting step especially when your opponent steps back in fast speed.

After you have landed your front kick, another jumping kick can be a nice combination.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest pivoting your base foot a bit and extending your hips a bit. That will keep your butt from dropping and losing power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still not sure if youre looking for specific feedback, and to be honest i havent read all the replies so i might just repeating someone with this.

Two biggest things for me were your weight and your guard (either or both may be stylistic, i dont do tkd so if it goes against what youre taught in a way that makes sense, ignore this).

Particularly when you throw your rear-legged kick, your weight doesn't shift at all. You want to shift it so that your front leg takes more weight, while your center of mass moves allowing you to 'thrust' a bit with your kick. It can be seen mainly with your hips and shoulder if you do it right. The other thing that i would focus on is with your guard: make sure you keep your hands up and in the right placements throughout. And when you shift bringing your rear foot in front, while your rear foot is in front, your guard should switch so that your typically rear hand is in front, and switch back if you land the kick backwards.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Overall, it looks very good for a green belt.
If you were my student, the things I'd be pushing are:
Hands. They need to be guarding. They're not. At all.
As @Buka mentioned, you're withdrawing the kick farther than needed.
You're not fully extending the knee.
You need to push the ball of your foot out. Your ankle is at 90 degrees. That's not how it's taught in TKD, or at least not in any of the flavours I've trained in.

View attachment 22297

This shows what I'm talking about. See how the ball of the foot is pushed out, with the toes pulled back?

Again, it's a very good kick for a green belt.

I am on the same page as Dirty Dog on this one. The hands are the biggest thing I noticed. When you flag your elbows out like that, you are creating a BIG opening to be attacked. My suggestion is to keep the elbows in and keep it tight together when you kick. Otherwise the mechanics of the kick itself looks good. Just keep practicing your extension and power.

Latest Discussions