Planning to Plant?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone planting a garden this year? I'm putting in tomatoes, peas, carrots, red bell peppers, a few hot peppers, and a couple of pumpkins. I think I'll also put some sunflowers over by the shed, and some dill and chives by the house.
And I'm going to try to teach my kid to weed it. :uhyeah:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Tomatoes, 4 varieties of lettuce, squash, asparagus, potatoes, and I'm trying peppers again this year even if they were a favorite target of the voles last year. I'm running mine in elevated beds and walls of water since my area of Wyoming only has a 60 day growing season. The walls of water are for the tomatoes and potatoes, everything else is hothoused under plastic.

Lamont

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having just moved into our brand new house, Seig and I are pretty happy~! We put in tomatoes and peppers and will have some other veggies added this weekend. I planted some annuals and tossed some wildflower seeds randomly ;) Our 2 rose bushes are happy, the 3rd is tempermental.. so hoping things will work out for it. I just witnessed a Pileated woodpecker land on a tree no more than 20' from me.. glorious bird.. But I can see the massive holes in some of the other trees it's bug hunting beak has caused. Luckily it doesn't like veggies and flowers :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tomatoes. 1 year I had about 100 plants. This year, probably 10-18 tops. Less space. LOL

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me and the better half was thinking about planting bell peppers since we use them alot in cooking and the cost is going up and up with them also we have a little herb garden in the window, corn would be nice but the association want let us plant hat in the backyard to big they say. God we have to move to the country and have a garden I guess I miss that more and more every year. Growing up on a farm we planted everything.
Terry

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I go into shock each time I see the prices of fresh veggies in the store.. so am very much looking forward to growing all we can.. Most likely not this year but next will have the whole gambit of gardening delights other than the few we hope to get this year :) We're pretty happy our grass seed is growing ~!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, green beans... and hopefully, the raspberry bushes I put in last year overwintered well and will regenerate; otherwise, I'll probably be replacing those too. And I also have an herb garden - after I looked at the cost of cedar 8 x 8's to use as edging, I ended up using cinder blocks (hole up) and planted herbs in the holes, with a drip watering system.

I'm also in the very beginning stages of xeriscaping an 8 x 30 stretch outside my fence that faces south, between the fence and the sidewalk - I'm going to start with weed cloth and bark, and slowly put in plants by cutting holes in the weed cloth; that way, I (hopefully) won't have as many problems with weeds, which is all that really grows there now. So far, all I have there is some dying grass and a couple of Russian sage that seem to have survived the winter, and the sprinklers have been moved so they're against the fence, spraying out and down, instead of by the sidewalk, spraying up on the fence... no more sprinkler discoloration on my new fence! Yay!!! Besides, watering uphill seems kind of, well, silly.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This will be the first summer without our dad so my brothers and sisters and I have all decided to keep his garden alive. He usually planted about 3 acres of corn, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, kohlrabi, radishes, onions, peppers, potatoes, pumpkins,beets, plus the surronding hedges of raspberries, saskatoons and blueberries. He provided enough from his garden for all of our families and over the years has developed the soil to an extremely rich, nourishing state so it would be a shame just to turn it into lawn.

We've commissioned a custom wrought-iron fence (the deer population is out of control in the provincial park my parents property borders on) with a gate and "Dad's Garden" written on it. I think gardening is going to be very bittersweet this summer.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
This will be the first summer without our dad so my brothers and sisters and I have all decided to keep his garden alive. He usually planted about 3 acres of corn, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, kohlrabi, radishes, onions, peppers, potatoes, pumpkins,beets, plus the surronding hedges of raspberries, saskatoons and blueberries. He provided enough from his garden for all of our families and over the years has developed the soil to an extremely rich, nourishing state so it would be a shame just to turn it into lawn.

We've commissioned a custom wrought-iron fence (the deer population is out of control in the provincial park my parents property borders on) with a gate and "Dad's Garden" written on it. I think gardening is going to be very bittersweet this summer.

While I understand the bittersweet part - what a wonderful way to remember your father! I hope you and your families have a bumper crop, this year and every year.:asian:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
tomatoes, hot and bell peppers. lots of spices: oregano, dill, peppermint, all kind of things... I just wish we had more land. I'd be in heaven if we could plant some nice okra :) one of these days I want to try watermelon too...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Carrots, sugar-snap peas, green beans,2 varieties pumpkins, blue corn, yellow corn, feed corn, sunflowers. radishes, turnips, zuccini, yellow crook-neck squash, potatoes in stacks of tires, fennel, lettuce, cabbage and brussels sprouts. I'm going to try shingiku(edible chrysanthemum), and tomatoes and peppers in cold frames for the first time this year-it ge's too cold at night at 8200'. Our grapes should be mature this year, so, barring any disasters, I'll get to cut grapes for the first time-and we have a small orchard, where I also grow amaranth for bread and for beer.....

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My mother in law plants enough to feed a small town, lol. Gets upset with us if we plant our own because then she has too much. It keeps her happy and busy to feed her family and to provide for us. All she asks is we hill the potatoes for her and help her dig them up in the fall. She plants peas at intravals so there is always fresh peas to munch on all summer. Plus a wide variety of other veggies.

We moved last year and have an elderly couple living next door to us who have a huge garden. Last year they were handing over fresh veggies to us, which was really sweet of them. In turn my husband helps him with his lawn and snow shoveling and we have given them some of our home made deer sausage.

It is nice to give and to receive. :)

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I move into a new place on May 1st, and the garden will be tilled and ready when I move in. I wish I'd had the foreknowledge to start some stuff early this year, but I'll end up buying some plants and starting the quick growers from seed.

Don't know what all I'll put in. Still got some planning to do, and shopping, and FUN!

I'm very much looking forward to the garden.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i would like to start a garden this year, but haven't done so since i was in grade school. can anybody recommend some good books or websites where i could get the basics?

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Tomatoes. 1 year I had about 100 plants. This year, probably 10-18 tops. Less space. LOL
How on earth did you get 100 plants in an apartment? LOL! Did you fill your living room with dirt?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may try tomatoes and peppers; but, this year already has enough going on. I dunno if I want to add to it.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
are eggplants fairly easy to grow? anyone here tried them w/ success?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
are eggplants fairly easy to grow? anyone here tried them w/ success?

They petty much need the same conditions as tomatoes, and are, like tomatoes, heavy nitrogen feeders.
I grew them fairly successfully in New York, and when I lived at a lower altitude in New Mexico-they need heat, and in the mountains where I am now it gets down to 40 F at night all summer long.I like them a lot, though, so we might just try them in a cold frame.Your best bet, depending on where you live, is to start them early and carefully transplant after last frost.

chempo2

White Belt
Reaction score
My eggplants always get eaten by bugs. We try to go organicly so we don't spray much. I think if I time them differently they will work, because my friends can get them to grow. We'll try to get tomatoes in, there's nothing like a homegrown tomato for taste. We also like sweet 1,000,000 cherry tomatoes. They have real big tomato taste. I also grow zucchini and banana peppers, when the weeds don't take over.

Latest Discussions