"....Piss-drops keep fallin' on my head..."

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
And just like that my new job goes bust over a stupid ****in' overreaction to a paperwork mistake.

Took me a couple hours to figure it all out myself but here's the nutshell:

When I first interviewed with my immediate supervisor, I didn't mention that i had had a short-lived job( a matter of days, it wasn't, and I mean really wasn't, for me) between this job and my previous since less than a week is not something that goes on a resume. This is not new, or unusual, I am not the only one to do this by a long shot.
So I go in with all my paperwork completed and my 401K info and pass that oin to my boss's boss.
about an hour later my immediate ex boss calls me into his office and my last few minutes went like this--I didn't puzzle this out 100% till some time after, but apparently, they thought I'd lied about the circumstances of leaving the last job posted on my resume( i hadn't and didn't).
2 things I didn't know till a bit after--the resume i sent was sent by saccident( I clicked the wrong button and sent it without meaning to, but it turns out it was *NOT*the revised resume I had made and still read "Nov 2000-Present" and not "5 Nov 2000-29 June 2007" so I can see how that could have been taken that way.
Also, I just last night read my 401K stuff with my mom( she's in HR herself and can't ****in' understand this either). and the "Status" came up "Terminated" and not "Left Employment". That's all I can figure is maybe this caused them to think I was fired, and didn't work my last 2 weeks notice and leave voluntarily (I most definitely DID work my notice).
But see here's the thing:
All's any ONE of them would have had to do is call me in and talk to ME about those things, and could have simply asked and gotten an answer. I could have called HR at my previous job and verified my notice, and exxplained the resume thing.
But no.

I mean my immediate boss understood but it was out of his power, and ****in' temper-boy above him just told him out of hand to can me. Nobody asked me a thing, or involved me in any part of the discussion or questiions. I even asked my boss if it would make a difference if I went to speak to them myself about it and was told that at this point "he's not gonna let it work".

So I did the best thing I could have. After I was released and went home, I typed up , if I do say so myself, a very professional letter explaining the things I have just blogged about, and drove right back, let the front desk lady know I was just stopping by to deliver it to temper-boy, and left.

At this point I didn't even care about getting the job back. All I cared about was that the "stain" against my honesty be removed.
There's no two ways about it, I'm either gonna hear back, or I ain't.

Frankly, twixt you, me and the Web....After this, I'm not sure I care one way or the other--If I don't hear back, I wouldn't want to work at a place where someone above me just hauls off, cops a temper and makes snap judgments without ever contacting the party in question. Not once. Ever.

SO it's a pisser, but after the initial shock, I'm not shedding any tears. I don't even like R&B/Dance music stuff, but it's like that song said : "It's not right, but it's okay/ I'm gonna make it anyway.."

I was gonna fix my eyes with the money I was saving in my credit union account, now it has to all go into my checking. I don't want to do it, but now, since I can't assume I'm gonna find something right off the bat, I'm good to go for the next 2 months if I have to, so it's not like I have *nothing* but it's a pisser nonetheless.
Got a lead or two, and it's back to the hunt again.....again.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck, Andy. I just got a new job myself after a long dry spell.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Re-work your resume and clean it up (don't even put the last job down since they misunderstood and fired you without even asking you about anything... and that you weren't there really long enough to make a dent in your resume). Clean it all up and then destroy all of the old ones so they don't mysteriously get into with the new one.

Good luck.
I'm in a dry spell myself at the moment. But it'll all work out...usually does ... for me anyway. :D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That really sucks.... good luck with the hunt, and I hope your dream job finds and hires you in the near future!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gah, that really sucks, Andy ...

I'm wishing you ALL the best of luck, as job-hunting has GOT to be one of the most difficult times a person can go through.

Hang in there. I'm sure there is something out there around the corner that is perfect for each you.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad that you at least can see the upside to all of this. Working under bad management is HELL. Believe me, I've been there a couple of times.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad that you at least can see the upside to all of this. Working under bad management is HELL.

What JB and others have said, and I'm really sorry that you were so royally screwed—and on the basis of such stupidity. It's one thing if you lose a position because of a personality conflict with some bozo, but when the reason is something that's so different from reality, because someone is too closed-minded to try to get at the truth, that's especially bad.

It's corny and trite to say that it's probably a blessing in disguise—so you didn't have to work for a long period under toxic conditions (the guy you were working immediately under there is probably gonna wind up with an ulcer, if he doesn't already have one)—but it's true. There's a better job for you up the line, and if you still were in this one, you might have wound up missing the really good one that's waiting for you. That's happened to me in the past, with both jobs and relationships—it's just having to wait till you get there that feels so grim sometimes. But this too shall pass...
icon14.gif

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sucks, Andy. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a better job.

Re: the 401k status: I'm no expert or anything but I think that a 401k is considered "Terminated" regardless of whether you left or were fired. The termination refers to the status of the 401k, not the status of the employee.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lousy way to loose a job, hope you find something soon so you don't have to go through your savings...

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy, I am very sorry to see a stupid management move cost you this job. Perhaps the only worse thing would have been for you to waste any more of your life there.

All managers are now getting this 'beware of false resumes' lecture - only this drone learned nothing, as in your case you were not lying.

Do not let this idiot define you. Hit the job market even harder and find a better opportunity. Even if you have to temporarily take a lower job, show everyone what you can make of that. All productive work has value.

Most people get to management by having some brains - and a smart manager will see what he has to gain by having you on the team. I expect to see a new thread announcing your success. Everyone here believes in you and is pulling for you.

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
You'll be pleased to know I just had my first day back at a new job today and i think, at least for a bit, it'll work out, I don't dislike it and its much less stressful than my previous one.

It doesn't pay quite as much, but the point is I'm not in limbo anymore and I can't stop living while i wait for my "ship to come in" so to speak.

This too shall pass.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad that the new job is working for you, Andy, and that you didn't have to wait too long for another one to come up. You're right- typically, you wouldn't list a short- term job, whether fired, or whatever...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a lot to be said for a low-stress environment.

I hope it works out for ya

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy, congrats...I'm glad things are working out.

"....Piss-drops keep fallin' on my head..."
**mental note...when with Andy, bring umbrella**

Latest Discussions