Pick your weapon

OP
Kwanjang

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say the sword. Katana if I have to be specific. Learning the sword is one of the things I most looked forward to about getting my blackbelt.

"So shall it be written...So let it be done!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Earlier tonight I was practicing with my nunchuku and Some other weapons, I was wondering what, if any MA weapon is your favorite? Please no firearms
I fail to see how a firearm is not just as much a "martial-arts weapon" as any of the others...

oh well...guess I'll go with either a blackjack or a sap.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I fail to see how a firearm is not just as much a "martial-arts weapon" as any of the others...

Yup, someone better tell those foolish Japanese soldiers and samurai that hojutsu isn't really a martial art, or better yet, that the musket isn't a martial arts weapon.

OP
Kwanjang

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Didn't say it wasn't. Indeed it is a martial weapon. :) the firearm pretty much trumps all others and the GUN is why the sword no longer rules.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The sword is my favorite, and the one in which I have years of formal training. Can't carry it around with me, but God help anyone who breaks into my house if I'm home and in reach of it.

Favorite practical weapon, aside from fists and feet would be either the cane... or perhaps a rolled up copy of Blackbelt magazine.:D

Daniel

OP
Kwanjang

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The sword is my favorite, and the one in which I have years of formal training. Can't carry it around with me, but God help anyone who breaks into my house if I'm home and in reach of it.

Favorite practical weapon, aside from fists and feet would be either the cane... or perhaps a rolled up copy of Blackbelt magazine.:D

Daniel

Yeah..Thats what i'm talkin bout CT. I have a great collection of swords (all hellishly sharp) in my home. I keep a a short sword in my bedroom. You bring up a great point about practical weapons- How about jabbing someone with your car key!

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That works too.:D Also, for those of us in office jobs, Rockports certainly enhance the hardness of your foot when you kick.

Daniel

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah Kenpotex, I prefer a gun too. Unfortunately in my state it is impossible for me to get a permit to carry one, so if I am going to follow the law I have to exclude that one. That's why I said Hanbo (er...walking stick). I would love a Katana, but it's just not practical to carry one. So I take my walking stick, 3 inch folding pocket knife, surefire E2D defender, a short length of nylon cord, and something small that I can throw with me almost everywhere I go.

BTW, about the rockport shoes, I have to wear a suit to work everyday, which includes a necktie. If I take it off of my neck, it can be a great improvised kusari fundo...the belt makes a good one too.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't use any weapons. As a Taekwondo student, I never learned them. But if I had to pick one, it would be a katana. Probably the most aesthetically beautiful weapon ever created; and a katana master is one bad mofo.

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I take my walking stick, 3 inch folding pocket knife, surefire E2D defender, a short length of nylon cord, and something small that I can throw with me almost everywhere I go.

BTW, about the rockport shoes, I have to wear a suit to work everyday, which includes a necktie. If I take it off of my neck, it can be a great improvised kusari fundo...the belt makes a good one too.

Remind me not to **** with you.

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Carried guns aren't easy to get in Canada. I have a hunting license and long guns are good to literally bring home the bacon but they aren't useful at close range and there is too much chance of hurting innocent bystanders anyways.

Aesthetically, it is hard to beat the katana so iaido is sort of the ultimate, though it is not something you can really carry around very easily (is that a katana in your kimono or are you just happy to see me?).

From a practical standpoint I agree the bo, jo and escrima/arnis are the most practical as any branch, pipe, umbrella, cane or walking stick will do or if you happen to be carrying a small knife...

Of course most practical of all is the weapon of yourself! While I prefer weapons in many ways of course the only weapon you can guarantee you will always have is your head, fists, elbows, knees and feet. Once you pass through the security checkpoint, they are all you have, Rockports and Giorgio Armani aside ;-)

Latest Discussions