Pick your weapon

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmm, I love the bo , but also love the kama, and so would say that they would be the weapons I would choose to take into combat if i had to go with Kobujitsu/kobudo weapons. perhaps tekko as back up?

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have always had a soft spot for edged weapons, and the bo staff is a very close second.

F

foggymorning162

I'm pretty sure the cops in my area would have a chat with someone walking down the street with a machete. :idunno:

Nobody is going to question you over a concealed Pontiac:angel:

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kama, Nunchaku and Tekko are my favorites. I noticed that someone combined Kobudo and Iaido by saying Iaido was part of kobudo. That is in correct Iaido and kobudo are two separate things.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
favorite weapon. Sensei said that we shouldn't have any favorites because we would die by that weapon. however, if i had to strategically choose a weapon for selfdefense purposes, i would choose a jitte or better even double sai. i feel i could defend against most anything and at the same time be able to be lethal as well as bludgen harshly yet with controll without being excessively destructive. for example, if i thought there was a burglar in the house, sai would make me most confortable. even more so than a sword, especially indoors not having that much room to maneuver with a sword.
another plus, if you have two or three sai, technically, you can throw one.

if i had to really be nasty, i would choose a relatively short blade(idealy with a shoe, book, iron bar or something in the other hand to block with). or boshuriken(esp. heavy ones), which can be almost tantamount to firearms if you can use them well.
chains are ok, but one has to know what one is up against and be really committed and they leave little room for error.

if all else fails, i'd grab a broom, rake or even an umbrella.

weapons are just an extension of the empty hand, so if the skills aren't there, the weapons would do little good and even can be used against you almost justifiably.

j

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Chinese weapons are not part of Kobudo. Kobudo is Okinawan weaponry. Chinese weaponse are Chinese weapons.

I'm sorry, I know that but wrote it incorrectly above. I often call my weapons class kobudo but it includes the teaching of kobudo weapons, iaido, kali/escrima and Chinese weapons.

That said, while Chinese weapons and Okinawan weapons are not the same there seems to have been a fair bit of exchange of knowledge between the mainland and the islands so I think they have more in common than your statement would indicate.

Sorry for the confusion...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I know that but wrote it incorrectly above. I often call my weapons class kobudo but it includes the teaching of kobudo weapons, iaido, kali/escrima and Chinese weapons.

That said, while Chinese weapons and Okinawan weapons are not the same there seems to have been a fair bit of exchange of knowledge between the mainland and the islands so I think they have more in common than your statement would indicate.

Sorry for the confusion...

They share a few common items (stick, sai, nunchaku {stretching badly for that on}) but just like the empty handed stuff, Okinawans didn't get everything the Chinese had to offer in training.