Pick Another Style

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think everyday I'm always picking another style. That the problem with continually learning and growing. There is always some facinating art , technique or philosophy just around the corner of life.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking: both linear striking arts, both (done realistically, which is maybe the catch) use mostly hand techniques with mid-low kicks as set-ups. As vs. TKD and Aikido, say. But if you're talking about WTF TKD, then yeah, a world of difference there. What I like about kenpo is the emphasis on flow and the rapid-barrage style of striking.

I LOVE the FLOW of Kenpo - and with my aikijujitsu background I understand flow. What I'm doing now is learning how to flow while striking, and eventually I'm going to incorporate strike flow and grapple flow so I can flow in and out of both at will.

One thing often overlooked in Kenpo (one of the few Kenpo concepts I had experience with from previous styles albeit from a different point of view) is what Dr. Chap'el has termed Destructive Sequencing - where you're hitting/pressing/grabbing, etc. specific points, joints, etc. in specific sequences to accomplish total domination of an opponent and eliminate most, if not all, areas of counterattack.

Feel the flow Happy...feel it.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dangit. Got so hung up in the Flow I forgot what I was posting about lol.

My TKD background is Moo Duk Kwon mixed with WTF Chang Moo Kwan and a little Moo Duk Kwon-Jits from my Yasashii Do GM. The similarities of TKD vs. Kenpo as striking arts end with saying they're both striking arts. Totally different approach to when, how, and where you deliver strikes, as well as methods of exposing and exploiting target opportunities. Of course, then you have the grappling extentions and groundwork of Kenpo. MMm....

Someone (I forget who) has a sig similar to:

You say that gratuitous violence and mayhem is called Kenpo??...where do I sign up? :)

We focus on "Putting Them Down - NOW!" first and foremost, and I haven't yet found a flavor of the Kenpo tree that isn't focused on dealing with multiple attackers once the basics (presuming a competent basics teacher, of course) are learned. Some do it better than others, as with all styles. I'm loving the Flow.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't ever see myself studying another art outside the Kenpo family for combat purposes, but for personal growth and development I like Aikido, Daito Ryu Jujitsu, and T'ai Chi.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My backround is Wado and TSD which I still do but I've found MMA is wonderful, I get to do Judo, BJJ, Aikido, Muay Thai, Grappling, Wrestling, Karate etc all in one go . Brilliant!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the answer I already put down and the more I thought about it one style kept creaping in from the back of my mind. Le Parkour. I guess it could still be considered a style, I am not sure what everyone else thinks about it. as an avid, but poor runner it continues to intrigue me.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My TKD background is Moo Duk Kwon mixed with WTF Chang Moo Kwan and a little Moo Duk Kwon-Jits from my Yasashii Do GM. The similarities of TKD vs. Kenpo as striking arts end with saying they're both striking arts. Totally different approach to when, how, and where you deliver strikes, as well as methods of exposing and exploiting target opportunities.

It might be off-topic to do it here... but would you consider posting somewhere a short summary of what you see as those differences in `when, how, and where you deliver strikes, as well as methods of exposing and exploiting target opportunities'? I think it would be of interest to quite a few people on this board (specific comparisons among MA styles always seem to make for lively threads, I've noticed)...

Latest Discussions