Pekiti Tersia Blade Seminar

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be hosting a seminar taught by Guro Jack Latorre. He will cover hand and blade defenses againt the knife.

When:
July 28, 2002 12:30-4:00pm

Where:
Horizon Martial Arts
252 Center Rd.
West Seneca, NY 14224
716-675-0899

Cost:
$30 by July 15th.
$40 after July 15th

For more information e-mail me at [email protected]

Tim Hartman:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had the chance to see some of his students working out in Rochester recently and was impressed--great energy.

I have heard that there is a connection between Pekiti Tersia and Sayoc Kali's bladework--does anyone know if this is so?

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a reminder that the Jack Latorre blade seminar is this weekend.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ref Pekiti and Sayoc blade work...
Tuhon Chris Sayoc trained in Pekiti Tersia in his youth; I think this is where the question keeps coming from. It is more fair to say that there is a family connection. For more details you can go to Sayoc.com and check the discussion forum there; you'll have to go back a ways but there is a thread on the topic.
Chad

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com

ref Pekiti and Sayoc blade work...
Tuhon Chris Sayoc trained in Pekiti Tersia in his youth; I think this is where the question keeps coming from. It is more fair to say that there is a family connection. For more details you can go to Sayoc.com and check the discussion forum there; you'll have to go back a ways but there is a thread on the topic.
Chad

I think FCS Kali founder Ray Dionaldo also trained in Pekiti as a youth as well. You can really see it in his footwork. Ray has ranking in Sayoc Kali under Bo Sayoc and very high ranking in Sayoc Kali-Silak under Chris Sayoc. I think it kind of makes sense that there is a similarity in the blade systems.

Then again, I'm but a babe in FCS Kali, so I could be talking nonsense.

Which I often do. Ask my instructors. :)

Cthulhu

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But not this time.....
:)

Ray Dionaldo also, I believe, holds a respectable rank in Modern Arnis.

He makes a fine training blade as well.
Chad

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com

But not this time.....
:)

Ray Dionaldo also, I believe, holds a respectable rank in Modern Arnis.

He makes a fine training blade as well.
Chad

I concur with you Chad. Just finished training with Ray this last weekend down in Tampa...sorry to miss you there, Cthulhu.

Ray is ranked in Modern Arnis. I will post some of his credentials below. Please if you have the opportunity please train with him, he is outstanding in his level of understanding and execution of the martial arts, especially, the Filipino Martial Arts.

Palusut

Ray Dionaldo:
---------------------
Ranks and Titles

SAYOC KALI-SILAK
Instructor: Tuhon Christopher Sayoc

MODERN ARNIS
Instructor: Professor Remy Presas

SAYOC KALI
Instructor: Grand Tuhon Baltazar "Bo" Sayoc

PEKITI-TIRSIA KALI / STRATEGIC KNIFE DEFENSE
Instructor: Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje

PEKITI-TIRSIA KALI / KALI OLYMPIC COMMITTEE
Instructor: Master Bjin Lateef Mateen

PAMBUAN ARNIS TULISAN
Instructor: Ama Guro Raffy Pambuan

ANCIENT ARTS ACADEMY
Instructor: Lakan Guro Eric Porschen

WU MING TAO CHUAN FA
Instructor: Sifu Jim Bryan

SHOTOKAN KARATE
Instructor: Sensei Larry Stone

DILLMAN KARATE INSTITUTE
Instructor: Sensei Larry Stone

WADO-RYU KARATE
Instructor: Shihan Mark Cody

G

GouRonin

Great Seminar Renegade! Again, if you missed it then you missed out. Thanx for bringing these guys in. It's nice to have a good selection of seminars to choose from and your school and association just keeps on doing fine work! Thanx again!

Paul! It was good to meet you and work with you. I like what you do. Cheers!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This review is going to be tough for me because I was suckin pretty bad on Sunday. Word of advise: IF YOU TAKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND TO NIAGARA FALLS, SPENDING THE WHOLE DAY AND EVENING PAINTING THE TOWN, EXPECT TO BE TOTALLY OUT OF IT FOR A SEMINAR THE NEXT DAY.

Now that I've cleared that up, here a little the review...

1st off, Jack Latorre is very good at what he does. I was impressed with his knife knowledge and style, and he was very good at presenting the material.

We started with some basic foot-work to warm up. The footwork we worked on was basic triangle stepping, stepping off the attackers line of attack, and basic weight distribution and body shifting.

Then we went over 3 basic knife stabbing angles, which was angle 5 (up into the lower midsectin) angle 8 and 9 to the opponents right and left delts.

Next was empty hand VS. knife. We went over defending empty hand vs. knife by parrying w/ back of hand and stepping properly against the attacking angles.

Once we were comfortable with that, we moved on to the knife attacker stabbing, then checking the defenders parrying hand, and stabbing again, which caused the defender to have to use the parrying techniques to defend against that.

Also, from a #5 stab we worked the basic parry-elbow strike/check-head strike-radial nerve grab on knife hand.

From that basic movement, we learned a knife lock flow set. The set was very effective because it involved not just locking the knife hand; the set was basically a counter for counter set (example: knife attacker defends the lock by doing this, so defender flows to this technique).

Then we graduated to knife VS. knife, using the same basic parrying and stabbing techniques. We then added some different cutting and locking techiniques in the same counter for counter fashion.

We also worked with an X like wrist strike/parry method.

What I found especially useful was the different knife fighting concepts, such as different knife gripping methods (and the effective fighting methods from them), fighting and stabbing concepts, etc.

In general, the methods we worked with at the seminar where very effective, particularly against knife VS. knife dueling.

Then we had a Q & A at the end, and a demo of some of the different espada y daga methods of Pekiti Tersia.

All and all, it was well worth the trip, and I look forward to training with Jack again. I highly suggest a seminar with him if you want to be a better knife fighter!

Gou Ronin: :cheers: It was good meeting you and hanging out. Your friends w/ Jaybacca and the Canada Crew, so I'm sure we'll hang and train again. :D

Have a good week, everyone! :cool:

G

GouRonin

I thought you were doing ok. Except when you forgot your girlfriend's name. Then I thought you might need the knife defense in case she killed you. Ha ha ha!

I'm sure you'll see the Canadians again. Let me know when you might be heading through to see the Renegade :erg: again and you ought to stop in and have dinner instead of going straight through. Maybe we'll hit Vlad's some time too.

G

GouRonin

If you're interested Paul there is another pekiti guy going to be about 2 hours from you in London Ontario Canada.

http://members.tripod.com/~kenpo_ronin/zdubya.html

Go here to check it out.

You might want to come see it as it's fairly close and it's also Canadian funds which makes it cheaper for you.

Just thoughts. Let me know.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gou...

That actually sounds doable. I don't think I have anything goin' on September 19th (although it is a Thursday, so I would have to take a day off work), and Zack Whitson's credentials seem pretty good.

We'll have to see when it gets closer to that date. I'll let you know what's up before then

Thanks! :D

Latest Discussions