Palgwae forms

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quick Q: My school does the WTF and ITF forms. I was talkig with my dad about the Palqwae forms I have seen a tad bit of and I am wandering. When were they used. What is the backstory of this set of forms? What is their signifigance is the Tae Kwon Do universe?

Thanks all,

Matt

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are 8 PalGwe forms. They were created by Kim Soo, who now heads his own style of Cha Yon Ryu.

Mr. Soo did write a book on these forms which I beleive is still sold today.
Actually, I think there were a couple of books covering a few forms each.

They are very similar to the original Shotokan forms that were first used in Tae Kwon Do.

They were taught up through "red belt" or 1st Kup and then the Japanese forms were used for Shodan and up.

I use to know all of them but have not worked them in a long time.

Kim Soo has a school in Houston and has a web site. So finding more information should not be difficult. I think they were created in the late 1960's. But I'm not positive about that.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
matt.m said:
Quick Q: My school does the WTF and ITF forms. I was talkig with my dad about the Palqwae forms I have seen a tad bit of and I am wandering. When were they used. What is the backstory of this set of forms? What is their signifigance is the Tae Kwon Do universe?

Thanks all,

Matt

They are still in use, depending on what school attend. They're the only set of TKD forms I know...

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
KOROHO said:
There are 8 PalGwe forms. They were created by Kim Soo, who now heads his own style of Cha Yon Ryu.

Mr. Soo did write a book on these forms which I beleive is still sold today.
Actually, I think there were a couple of books covering a few forms each.

They are very similar to the original Shotokan forms that were first used in Tae Kwon Do.

They were taught up through "red belt" or 1st Kup and then the Japanese forms were used for Shodan and up.

I use to know all of them but have not worked them in a long time.

Kim Soo has a school in Houston and has a web site. So finding more information should not be difficult. I think they were created in the late 1960's. But I'm not positive about that.

No, Grandmaster Kim Soo did not create the Palgue forms. I've heard that on these internet forums alot lately and mentioned it to him (Kim Soo). He laughed and asked, "Who thinks that?" Grandmaster Kim Soo was just present at the clinics when the Korean Taekwondo Association introduced the 8 Palgue forms in 1972 as "new" gup-rank requirements. The KTA passed out pamphlets written in Korean at the clinics, according to Grandmaster Kim Soo. The clinics were held during his first visit back to Korea after his Jan 16, 1968 immigration to the US. After the clinic in 1972 he returned to America and wrote the first three Palgue form descriptions in English. This resulted in the 1973 book, "Palgue 1-2-3 of Taekwondo Hyung" published by Ohara. This was the first publication of the "new" Palgue forms from the KTA. Maybe this is why people think Grandmaster Kim Soo created them.

If anyone has questions for Grandmaster Kim Soo, I will be visiting with him this weekend in Houston. You can ask here or PM.

R. McLain

Latest Discussions