Padded Weapons for full contact....

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on padded weapons for full contact weapons sparring?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pacificshore
What are your thoughts on padded weapons for full contact weapons sparring?

Great, because it gives you the chance to try things out at a faster pace, without having to worry about getting hurt. Sparring with a real stick is not for everybody.

Mike

B

Blackdragon

I agree with Mike. You feel more at ease than you would with a real sword or wooden one. Plus, you feel more free to try stuff out- certain moves,etc.
My friend's got these padded
swords and they work just nicely. Still hurts a little though :p
But that's okay, it's fun.

K

kenpo12

Padded weapons are great, the other thing I like is that you can wear minimal protection with padded weapons too. I do know groups that use say rattan sticks but you have to wear a ton of protective gear. I guess you could go the way of the Dog Bros. but I just don't enjoy pain quite that much.

Matt

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree that padded weapons are great for training, because of safety & being able to build attributes you wouldn't be able to by just doing drills. BUT, realize that even in padded sparring, there are a majority of techniques and moves that you would not be able (or want to attempt). I have competed in WEKAF (Rattan stick sparring with gear) & Full contact Rattan Sparring with no gear (OUCH) i recommend staying with the padded sticks & helping one another build your abilities.

S

Shinzu

i would agree with padded for full contact. demos and solo training are different though.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can see the benefit of a padded sword or enchrima sticks and others but I wonder if anyone actually practices -- striking with padded nunchuckus? I mean you get anything going with enough speed and padded or not it's gonna hurt.
I see the benefit of practicing forms with those but actually hitting someone with them... yeowch!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's an article on padded weapons in one of the martial arts magazines on the stands now (IKF? BB?).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
There's an article on padded weapons in one of the martial arts magazines on the stands now (IKF? BB?).

I believe the article you're talking about is in BB.

Mike

S

Shinzu

indeed padded weapons can still hurt and damage. they are made for contact but not all out full contact. anything will hurt you if you put a lot of power behind it.

the whole point is to train smart and use your head. then these weapons become learning tools.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem we had with padded sticks was the dang things kept breaking. We tried padded PVC, but that was a BAD idea. Padded rattan wasn't much better. Ultimately, we settled for light rattan. It's been awhile since we've had a stick fight, but usually, the only really heavy gear we have is a hockey helmet. Some strikes are still dangerous, though...thrusts to the face with either a rattan or padded stick are still dangerous if no eye protection is worn.

And guys, cups are -always- a good idea :)

Cthulhu

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you tried fencing masks?

It completely eliminates the danger of a face thrust and some have additional protection for the throat.

We usually use cpvc (cream colored) that seems to hold up better than the pvc. I think the only time we have broken a short (30 inches or so) was when we were sparring outside and it was about 20 degrees or so. I figure the cold made the cpvc more brittle than usual. For longer padded weapons I use thin bamboo rods as the center, dry bamboo doesn't flex nearly as much as pvc. It will break, but like rattan it won't splinter, it just sort of bends over, then you have a flail. :)

Lamont

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While fencing masks provide excellent face protection, I wouldn't want to take a head strike with raw rattan.

Now...if they made those face grills to fit hockey helmets... :D

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions