Overused Dynamic Tension in Forms

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, I was working with a new student (not mine) last night. He was transferring in from another school and his technique was decent enough, except he had an odd interpretation of applying dynamic tension in forms at frequent intervals. Consider Won-Hyo. He was straining and trembling as he executed the double arm blocks in a slow and hissing fashion.

I asked him why he did that, and he just said that's how he was taught to run the form. Interesting, considering his school never did much in the way of strength training at all to begin with, yet somehow isometric contractions found their way in great measure into their forms.

Anyone else run across this? I've never seen this to such an extent in a TKD guy, except perhaps in the opening sequence in Yul-Gook.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So, I was working with a new student (not mine) last night. He was transferring in from another school and his technique was decent enough, except he had an odd interpretation of applying dynamic tension in forms at frequent intervals. Consider Won-Hyo. He was straining and trembling as he executed the double arm blocks in a slow and hissing fashion.

I asked him why he did that, and he just said that's how he was taught to run the form. Interesting, considering his school never did much in the way of strength training at all to begin with, yet somehow isometric contractions found their way in great measure into their forms.

Anyone else run across this? I've never seen this to such an extent in a TKD guy, except perhaps in the opening sequence in Yul-Gook.

We run a lot of DT in our forms, moreso than I have ever run into at any school. In Kwang Gae Hyung we have a lot of tension movements in our rendtition of it, whereas the ITF version I learned intially, not so much.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So why do you do it, DP? Do you practice iron body conditioning drills too?

As a goju stylist, I practice sanchin kata frequently, which is performed entirely with dynamic tension. There is ample physical conditioning with jars filled with sand and stone rods too. It makes sense in that context... just not sure it does with regard to how this kid was taught.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So why do you do it, DP? Do you practice iron body conditioning drills too?

As a goju stylist, I practice sanchin kata frequently, which is performed entirely with dynamic tension. There is ample physical conditioning with jars filled with sand and stone rods too. It makes sense in that context... just not sure it does with regard to how this kid was taught.

We do a great deal of conditioning, but nothing a crazy as iron body. As a TKD school goes, we look more like an Okinawan school in our stances than we do in a TKD school.

We use deep stances and we use Rattan sticks or shinai on our arms and legs. And we also do bone to bone blocking drills as well. No clay jars though.

Latest Discussions