Out of Shape "Masters"

I

IFAJKD

Gou, dude, sit Ubu sit.
We need to have people that look at the more evolved aspects of martial arts or we just become ground and pounders. as far as the "true martial way" that is a personal journey. I believe there are many "martial ways" but for many this is the reason they train.
Personally martial arts are war arts simply......As weme proficient in any aspect of these and fear becomes less powerful we, in the absense of that controlling fear (or use your own word if anyone has issues with the word fear) we become less self absorbed and more in tune with not having to prove anything, with others, with the world around us and with life in general. Isn't that a "martial way" You strive for a balance between physical, spiritual, psychological, emotional and for some metaphysical,. If you don't you burn out and fade away. the ones who remain here tomorrow have this balance.
Maybe in some people, physical skill can be transcended. ? maybe ?
It's early and these thoughts are not fully developed and I may have gone astray but I will hit the submit button any way and let the groans fall where they may.

B

brianbarton

General Choi, Hong Hi of Taekwon-Do fame is now 84 and teaching.

There is no sign of a beer belly on this Grand Master

G

girlychuks

i've only been in karate for less than a year. But putting up with some of the uh... poop.... that our teachers have to deal with (from politics to conflicts to students like myself) would convince me that popping back a few after instruction is not only comfort, but an absolute necessity.

If they need a few beers after the trauma of trying to instruct the tots class, who am I to point fingers?:rolleyes: :drinkbeer

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by brianbarton
General Choi, Hong Hi of Taekwon-Do fame is now 84 and teaching.

There is no sign of a beer belly on this Grand Master

And your point is? Certain people have a predestination to be large. Just because Choi, Hong Hi doesn't have a gut, does that mean all the Korean masters don't have guts.

G

GouRonin

Texas in the united states of america was declared the fattest spot on earth in a recent survey.

In looking to see what people's had the largest population of overweight persons, texas was declared the "fattest" state in the union. The united states was declared the fattest country globally.

Apparently everything is large in texas.

R

Rob_Broad

I have never seen a fat skeleton either, but it is not the skeleton that holds fluids. It is our tissues and fat that hold liquids, and therefore weight. People are predestined to be fat or thin. If a person like these "out of shape master" as it is are ok with their bodies, who is to say anything. They have been there, they have done all the workouts back in the day when karate was very hardcore and there wasn't 5th degree 12 yr olds. Someone wants to say something about these guys I just say, "Say it to their face", one of us with respect will help pick you up off the the floor when it is all over.

I

IFAJKD

In the words of Dan Inosanto....."I may not be able to go 12 rounds very well anymore, but I will fight the best 1st round I ever have in my life". :asian:

G

GouRonin

Ok. Let me first say that some of the best trainers could not do the art they train others for. This I have no problem with. Ali once said that he only knew about him fighting and couldn't train anyone worth a lick.

Inosanto is NOT out of shape. He's also quite possibley the end all be all of the martial arts world today as far as living instructors go.

I think the issue is that teaching skills aside a lot of these guys are out of shape. Not that it reflects on their ability to convay material. However there are those guys who fall into the catagory of yelling at students to do things they themselves are not and probably were not capable of. having some fat guy screaming at me to do a zillion push ups when he can't do one isn't heart warming. It's not like I'm walking around telling every martial artist they're a fat slob. I'm saying that I can't do spinning tornado kicks, so I don't make others do them and flip out if they can't.

Most instructors worth their salt admit to their state of their fitness and usually their skill allows them to get away with it.

So if I have a problem with a guy I will tell them so. Hopefully those guys who have "respect" (or possible no balls to say anything) can pick me up after I say it. Unless of course I start running and the guy drops dead after 20 feet because he can't catch me and his heart stops, or his knees blow out. Then you can pick him up.

I can't believe the lengths people go to in an effort to justify being fat and out of shape!!! It's very politically correct. When someone weighs 2 times a regular person and is twice the size and gets on a plane why shouldn't they be charged 2 seats? But noooooo! Let's complain that our dignity is crushed, our human rights are being trampled. Sometimes it goes too far. Let's stay in reality.

p.s. - I think the woman who sued mcdonald's because she spilled her coffee in her lap is a moron too!

I

IFAJKD

SPINNING TORNADO KICK Everyone can do those!!!!!!
Dan Is the alpha and omega of MA as far as I am concerned too. Point is people age and yet the arts live on. I say just mix it all up train for life and love it. from that....who really cares how someone looks. If I find myself having a problem with it. I will go somewhere else. There is always something to learn and places to grow. see ya

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Befor we get carried away lets remember that
some may have medical reasons for being in the
shape they are in. Do we practice with someone because they are in shape or because they have knowledge that we would like?
I have known a few masters and even two (legit)grandmasters tthat could have been considered way out of shape but they had worlds of knowledge that I would not have been privy to anywhere else. And yes they moved with grace and beauty in their deadly dance.
Shadow

G

GouRonin

I agree with you IFAJKD.

As for shadow, I am not speaking of those who have great knowledge being unable to share it because of their size etc. Most of them are pretty open about their condition, be it good or bad, and explain how their art has helped them.

This one seems to be a tough hurdle to get over for many people. Seprate people, seperate!

This reminds me of the argument that size doesn't matter in martial arts.

V

vincefuess

Hey man!! I RESEMBLE that remark!!! But check out Sammo Hung- he's a fat boy who can rock-n-roll (no pun intended)!

We have a technique in Kenpo called "Bowing to Buddha". Makes me think...

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do you call an grayed hair, pot belly nearly 60 years old Combative Arts instructor? Maybe stealth?

Pappy Geo

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Bowing to Buddha".??

Isn't that the one where ya get nailed in the jewels? >_<

R

Rob_Broad

Pappy Geo wrote:

What do you call an grayed hair, pot belly nearly 60 years old Combative Arts instructor? Maybe stealth?

I would say, "Sir."

R

Rob_Broad

Yes Bowing to Buddha is the techniques hwere you are down on one knee, you block his kick or kneewith a hammerfist, followed by a backfist to the other thigh making his hips buckle outward, so his groin is exposed, then fore knuckle strike downward into the groin as the other hand comes up to the groin.

The though of it makes my jewels want to crawl in the intestines and hide.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My girlfriend (brown in Amer. Kenpo) "really" likes that one....

as a matter of fact, when they were learning it..her and a friend (1st black) kept giggling manically while "practicing".

I felt, uneasy.....
so did the rest of the guys in class...

We felt very glad we weren't working with them.

Latest Discussions