Out of curiousity, what style has...

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Traps, and other inclose fighting but have a variety of kicks? I know this is two schools of thought, inclose and long ranged.

My first guess would have been Northern Praying Mantis, since they say Northern styles have many kicks, plus Mantis has locks and inclose fighting in their style. Is this a correct assumption?

I been looking for a style that has locks and flow like wing chun and praying mantis, but still have a variety of kicks (since I am a good kicker). And no, I am not aksing bout jeet kune do.

I trained a bit in Hung Ga, but never got far into it. They did have a variety of kicks due to the san shou program, but I never stuck around to see if they did traps and stickyhand forms of training.

I was always fascinated by the fast hand attacks that are thrown to the head to the lower body done in kenpo, but there is no kenpo schools in my area that i like. So i figured Id try the source and check out cma.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun has a variety of kicks , but are rarely executed above the waist.
With our square on posture low to medium height kicks maximise range and do not put the balance at risk

One of the other main reasons for this is so that they can be used in conjunction with the hands to enhance the power of the kick by pulling the opponent into the kick and striking at the same time , so that three limbs are in action simultaneously.

This is highlighted in chain kicking where you have a rapid barrage of kicks to the knee joint and thigh executed in under a second whilst controlling the opponents arm and striking his head with your other hand.

The kicks aren't only used as mere impact tools , they are analogous in many respects to the main hand structures of Wing Chun Tan Sau , Fook Sau and Bong Sau.

While maintaining the correct angle of the leg they can be used to leg lock , sweep , hook , deflect , and jam , much of this is done while simultaneously striking through with your own kick whilst controlling the opponents leg.
This is in accordance with the Wing Chun concept of " Lin Sil Die Dar " which is simultaneous defence and counter attack.

Just as with the hands the kicks are mostly targeted at the centreline this is so they serve a dual purpose of attacking the opponents centreline but also guarding your own.

The targets include the shins , all around the knee joint , all around the thighs , ribcage , abdomen , groin , bladder and in some cases the chest.

There are many intricate leg techniques in Wing Chun but the problem is finding someone that teaches them , because a lot of it is not taught until much later on in the top masters schools .

In some of the more traditional schools kicking is not taught until after about four years , the rationale being that the stance and the balance must be developed before any kicking is attempted.

OP
R

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I trained in wing chun for a while. I enjoyed it, but not this particular sifu and his organisation.

Does Hung Gar do stickyhands, traps, and locks?

I been looking into praying mantis. I grew tired of kickboxing and full contact sports fighting. I want something with circular techniques, parries, and traps, but that lets me have some freedom in kicking.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shaolin Long Fist (or any Quanfa for that matter), "real" non-sport Sanshou (Sanda) but that is going to be very hard to find, Bajiquan, Baguazhang, etc.

There are a bunch, look here, it is a lot of reading but the descriptions are pretty good.

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seven Star Praying Mantis-and I believe there is a school in Brooklyn, and also look up Raul Ortiz-he makes great use of his legs.
I teach Hung-Ga and because of my personal teaching philosophy-develop your tools, and because of my original backrounds in Northern Shaolin and Korean MA, I teach alot of kicks.
So, it is really up to the personal instructor. Shop styles, schools, and instructors.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also check out Choy Lay Fut, it has to be one of the most comprehensive styles around. There are a lot of long fist swinging hands strikes and a lot of kicks, but I'm pretty sure there's trapping as well.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also check out Choy Lay Fut, it has to be one of the most comprehensive styles around. There are a lot of long fist swinging hands strikes and a lot of kicks, but I'm pretty sure there's trapping as well.

There is. It's just not as obvious as in WC or the like, but it's there.

Tamojin

White Belt
Reaction score
For me, my style of Northern 7 Star Praying Mantis sounds like what your looking for. It has a huge array of kicks (front, round, hun, bent knee, axe, tornado, reverse-round, tiger, half tiger, shin, ding, crescents and some jumping etc.) as well as trapping techniques as a focus. The kicks are taught soon in the art and perfected throughout, the trapping a little later on.

Latest Discussions