Opinions on motion

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Don't be so vain. Of course Not. We hadn't started talking about bad examples yet.

:rofl:

Whew, good, I was worried.:rolleyes:

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ben22

Anyway my question envolves the way our body moves when we train versus motion during a "real situation"
In my humble opinion, the body is only one third of the elements that you should be training. Mind body and spirit should be involved. For example: when I attack one of my students, and all though they know what's coming, they do NOT know how fast or at what intensity. If the attacker changes these things for you regularly, you will find yourself closer to a street scenario then previously. The other side to the coin is to completely relax and allow yourself to be suprised by the attack. This is not easy to do but I think it will help. And all though our motor skills do deteriorate to some degree, this too can be changed and or re-trained on a mental and physical level. Depending on what type of drills your teacher/instructor has you doing.
Hope it helps?:asian:

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Technique lines do nicely to work under pressure.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:soapbox: This question reminds me of the time when I went to the Las vegas camp. We we working with every ones black belts. Some had started only Two years back but others were seasoned. I was Faced with a second degree that wanted to start a hammering block(Sleeper) with his hands at his sides. He announced, as the instructor walked by that I should throw a real punch. Well I wasn't throwing real strikes because when you start with your hands at your side you are not ready, but he called me out right in front of (I think it was steve labounty) the instructor so I let him have it right in the chest. The point of my story is that you should have seen this poor guy try to complete "Sleeper" after I already hit him. It was funny and sad at the same time.

:asian: The moral of the story is that desisions need to be made just before they happen. You cant keep on trying a technique after its time has passed. You need to get into the now. All Techniques can be thwarted, negated, or just plain countered at any time no matter how hard you train that technique. When you get into a street fight you need to forget what sequence of moves you want to try and then go out and end that guy, If youve trained maybe you wont break your hand or trip over your own feet but then again maybe you will.

Latest Discussions