OOPS. . .sorry :(

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
As I was reading the "memorable moments" thread, I thought of a very memorable event, but it and stories like it really deserved their own thread!

I was 16, had reached purple belt, and my instructor was teaching me a new kick - the switch kick (for those with different terminology, that's doing a 2nd roundhouse kick with the opposite leg, if, for example, the first kick was caught). He showed me the idea of what was happening. Then he demonstrated it for me in slow motion. He then had me "catch" his first kick, so he could show the details. Finally, he said, "OK, now I'll show it to you at full speed." Well, he threw his first roundhouse kick, and I caught it and held on. . .

He started to bring on the second kick, and as he began jumping for the second kick realized that I wasn't letting go. So, he pulled back, and from 4 feet in the air fell flat on his back - on a hard gym floor. OWCH! The pain was in his face, but like the perfect (well, almost) instructor that he was, he didn't get mad, but got up on his knees, and breathed for about 3 minutes before getting up and finished class. Fortunately, no permanent harm was done, but what a learning experience it was!

Hehe...I'm sure the rest of you have similar experiences. Wanna share?

Salute,

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
One time when I was about 12, I was showing off how high my front kick was. When more people started to watch I started going higher and higher, then my other foot came out from under me and I fell flat on my back with a big BOOM!
That soooo hurt my ego, but thats what you get for showing off. It was a lesson well learned.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
My biggest "Ooops!" also occured with my teacher, and it wasn't even on the mat. We were on the mat warming up before class one day last summer, when our teacher called from his car and said he was stuck in traffic across town and would not make it to class. He asked me if I would run the class, to which I replied, no problem...I've done it countless times.

Our school is in Chicago, and the front of the school faces a busy street, and there is a back door that leads out to an alley. In the summertime, it gets pretty hot in class, as we have no air conditioning and the sun shines intensely in the front window in the late afternoon. So, we leave the back door open, and prop the front door open for cross-ventilation.
Anyway, about 1/2 hour into class one of the students told me that they
heard someone in the back dressing room area. I told them to continue the drill they were involved in and I quietly walked off the mat through the doorway into the back room area. Sure enough, the door to the men's dressing room was closed and I could hear the sound of coins clinking in a pocket, as there was clearly someone in the men's dressing room rummaging around. Rather than just open the door and stick my head into an unknown situation, I stood beside the door, and very slowly turned the knob. As soon as I knew the latch was open, I threw the door open (into the room) as hard as I could. Of course, my teacher was on the other side of the door. He had managed to find an alternate route, and decided at the last moment to come to class, and rather than come in through the front door, as always, he decided to come in through the back alley so as not to disrupt what we were doing. As I threw the door open, he instinctively threw up his right arm in a blocking motion, catching the full force of the opening door on his forearm. The impact opened a nice 1" gash on his arm, and he had blood streaming down towards his hand. For me the scariest part was the look in his eyes as he reacted to my rush/before he recognized it was me. I truly saw my life flash before my eyes as he gave me a look something like the way a hungry wolf looks at a lamb. When he recognized me, he was very cool about it, saying I did the right thing and he deserved it. He wrapped tape around his arm and came out and finished teaching class, all the while joking about the whole thing, but I felt like a real jerk for injuring him, regardless of the fact that it was a complete accident/misunderstanding.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must say firstly that I HATE HURTING MY TRAINING PARTNERS.

I hate hurting my teacher EVEN MORE.

He got on top of me on the mat and I was supposed to get away. I placed my hand on his ribs and pushed - hard. Felt a tha-thunk. He didn't feel it right away. Turns out I separated his ribs from the cartiledge. Took a long while to heal.

I wanted to turn in my black belt that day. THAT won't ever happen again.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were doing a kicking drill agaist a handheld large pad. The drill was to kick the pad twice, once kinda low/medium and the other medium/high. One time through. my second kick cleared the pad and hit my instructor in the forehead. My toenail opened a cut on his forehead

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My boss at the nightclub where I use to be the head of security ( bouncer) hired the arrogant braggard to be my assistant.He was supposed to have an MA backround..He kept touting that fact that he was younger and thereby more flexable..
He was demonstrating his kicks against a carpeted wall to a few of the female employees and others, they went no higher than the chest.."Well, what do you think of that?, he asked..I told him to take up ballet and unleashed a kick that was about neck high.
The waitresses were impressed as was the braggard..Me I split my pants from stem to stern..OOOPS...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I wanted to turn in my black belt that day. THAT won't ever happen again.

I had that very same injury. It came from a kick at my 2nd dan test. I felt it right away, though and thought I broke my ribs again. Anyway, chances are such that you probably will hurt someone again during your training. You can really try to do everything you can to be safe and still, injuries can occur. I guess my point is this...saying that it won't happen again, doesn't prepare you for when it does. If accidentally hurt someone, just try to learn from it and make amends the best you can. I'm only saying this, because my friends stopped his training after kicking me at my 2nd dan test. He felt so terrible about it, that he didn't want it EVER to happen again...so he took the only avenue that would make that happen.

For me, the biggest oops moment happened when I started my jujutsu class. I didn't have a proper gi yet and I did not (yet) have the humility, being a newly minted black belt, to bring a white belt. Anyway, I rolled with a green belt in a friendly match, went for a rear naked choke and he executed a seonage from his knees. I landed on my shoulder and broke my clavicle. When the bone healed and my pride recovered, I got myself a brand new judo gi and proudly wrapped a white belt around my waist. From that moment on, I've promised myself to take every new martial art with a "beginner's mind".

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was the night I was to get my instructor's belt. I was warming up with the rest of the group while I was waiting to be called upstairs for the final interview with our Grand Master. Just before that happened, I dropped into a horse stance and heard this loud rrriiippp!!!, followed by a cool breeze. The GM had tears running down his face during the interview he was laughing so hard. Me? My pants were ripped from front to back...

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
thesensei said:
As I was reading the "memorable moments" thread, I thought of a very memorable event, but it and stories like it really deserved their own thread!

I was 16, had reached purple belt, and my instructor was teaching me a new kick - the switch kick (for those with different terminology, that's doing a 2nd roundhouse kick with the opposite leg, if, for example, the first kick was caught). He showed me the idea of what was happening. Then he demonstrated it for me in slow motion. He then had me "catch" his first kick, so he could show the details. Finally, he said, "OK, now I'll show it to you at full speed." Well, he threw his first roundhouse kick, and I caught it and held on. . .

He started to bring on the second kick, and as he began jumping for the second kick realized that I wasn't letting go. So, he pulled back, and from 4 feet in the air fell flat on his back - on a hard gym floor. OWCH! The pain was in his face, but like the perfect (well, almost) instructor that he was, he didn't get mad, but got up on his knees, and breathed for about 3 minutes before getting up and finished class. Fortunately, no permanent harm was done, but what a learning experience it was!

Hehe...I'm sure the rest of you have similar experiences. Wanna share?

Salute,

it sounds like your instructor expected you to let go of his first kick??? how many of your attackers are going to expect the same?

you did what you should have done. gain and maintain control of the weapon (in this instance, the leg). what happened...the guy fell on his ***. it just so happens it was your instructor.

perhaps you got lucky...i wouldn't think so.

Latest Discussions