"Only one Moo Duk Kwan"??

Discussion in 'Tang Soo Do' started by reeve87, Oct 8, 2019.

1. reeve87

reeve87 White Belt

Hi folks I'm hoping for some insight.....
    I'm a Soo Bahk Do practitioner and the MDK slogan is "there's only one Moo Duk Kwan" however I've read that there is a Tai Kwon Do MDK and there's the Soo Bahk Do MDK, I was also taught that Kwan ja nim Hwang Kee refused to unify with the Tai Kwon Do Kwans. So the question is....
    Is there 2 MDK federations 1 for soo bahk and 1 for Tai Kwon Do?
    Or are they the same thing? Also if Hwang Kee won the right to be independent from tai kwon do what changed? And why and when?
    Thanks for your input

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    It's all about copyrights, politics, and egos. There are quite a few Moo Duk Kwan associations. One for Soo Bahk Do, and several for Tae Kwon Do.
    GM HWANG, Kee didn't "refuse to unify". In point of fact, he was one of the original group pushing the unification.
    GM HWANG, Kee didn't "win" anything. All he did was get mad about not being elected president of the KTA, essentially say "I'm going to take my ball and go home!" and walk away. About 1/3 of the Moo Duk Kwan students who joined the unification movement with him joined him in his walk out (Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, eventually renamed to Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan). The other 2/3 (including two of the top three students) stayed with the unification (Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. reeve87

reeve87 White Belt

Thanks for the reply, any ideas why the SBDMDK sued the kovlaskis for copyright and not the Tai Kwon Do MDK or are the Tai Kwon Do guys paying to call themselves MDK.

4. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    I don't know why the SBDMDK make the choices they do, but I assure you we're not paying them anything.

5. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I have always suspected the divide caused in and around , GM Hwang, Kee, TKD, TSD/SBD was in part fundamental to paving the way for WTF/KKW TKD. If nothing else it certainly made their path much easier.

We are MDK TKD and a Kukkiwon school at the same time. In the commercial sense it is a necessary marriage. In the traditional sense, we would not have as much tradition if we were not MDK TKD. WFT in large has consumed the competition TKD scene but it leaves a LOT to be desired when it comes to creating a sound, well rounded Dojang. IMHO
    I am only aware of about 1/2 dozen TSD dojangs in all of Tennessee and I have never been around a purely TSD dojang very much so I cannot speak to their normal environment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    There are numerous splinter groups who claim exclusivity to the Moo Duk Kwan name. It is a classic example of where you can ask 10 people and get 10 very different answers. In simplest terms there are three; TKD MKD, TSD MKD and SBD, with many offshoots of each adding to the confusion. There are literally dozens of corresponding logos.
    If you are looking for a pure lineage I would suggest tracing you school/instructors history.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bruce7

Bruce7 Brown Belt

This is a very deep interesting rabbit hole.
    Dirty Dog, dvcochran, and TSDTexan have the best information.