Only One Allowed

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Out of all the forms, past and present in TKD, if you could only train using just one form, which one would you choose and why?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really depends on what day you ask me. (Sorry that was 1st thought.)

I'd probably say Koryo most days tho. I feel in love with it when I was a yellow belt & love it still. I could do it over & over & not get tired of it easily.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would have to be Bassia without a doubt, it has always been my favorite and I really do not know why.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it would be Koryo for me as well. I have always felt good doing that form and I feel it encompasses a good variety of stances, kicks, block and strikes which would hopefully keep me feeling fulfilled if I only had to practice one form. (But I am so glad this is only a fantasy question!)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pyong Ahn Sa Dan contains all the techniques a classical TKD fighter would be likely to use in a street fight: front kick, side kick, knifehand, double punches, elbow smashes, even a knee and a foot stomp.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pyong Ahn Sa Dan contains all the techniques a classical TKD fighter would be likely to use in a street fight.

Of the TKD hyungs that I've learned, this particular one would also be the one that I choose, and for that same reason. Plus, I really like practicing it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moon-moo; a good variety of techniques, including sweeps, kicks at various levels, footwork, and a variety of strikes.

OP
B

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, we didn't get a whole lot of responses, but thanks to those who did reply.

Now, as you may have anticipated, here's the follow up question........

If, as some pointed out, a particular form has all that's needed, then why is there such a proliferation of forms being mandated for students to learn?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If, as some pointed out, a particular form has all that's needed, then why is there such a proliferation of forms being mandated for students to learn?

To create a continuum of learning - so that new students are starting with something they can do. Otherwise, it would be like teaching someone to read using a college textbook - it can be done, but will lengthen the process, and cause unnecessary confusion.

To include techniques that don't fit in one "master" pattern.

To be able to create patterns that have different personalities, or themes, or that teach specific skills/skill sets.

And who said that a particular form has all that's needed? I chose the one that I felt had the greatest variety - but I never said it had everything; I'm not sure that's possible in one form, unless it's a lot longer than the ones I'm used to (shortest = 19 moves; longest = 72 moves).

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

Originally, masters in Okinawa only knew one or two forms. The learning of several forms came from masters going to learn from other masters in order to learn there technique that they specialized in. Just thought I would add this tidbit.

As for my form I would choose, I will take Ge-baek for TKD, but I have others I like from other styles. Seisan from Chito-ryu, Sunsu from Isshinryu, and Long 4 from EPAK. There is no way I could choose between these forms, it would be too hard.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because the forms were designed shallowly. I truly doubt any of the Korean origin pattern sets (Chang Hon, Palgwe, or TaeGuek) were specifically drafted with any hidden applications or meridian striking theories in mind by the creator. That's not to say you can't go back in and reverse engineer a lot of nice bunseoh - you clearly can by the proliferation of hyung research out there right now - but I personally believe the richness of the patterns has been filled out by their proponents over the years rather than from the beginning. If more thought had but put into the forms at the start along with a proper instruction set to fully use them as sources of self-defense, I think 'less is more' would be more the order of the day.

I have no doubts that some will think my opinion is controversial and wrong. Well, have at it. The forum has been slow for a few days.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
As pointed out previously, many Okinawans only learned 1-2 kata and trained them exclusively (Choki Motobu for instance did Naihanchi/Tekki/Chulgi).

Tough question, but I think for me, it would be Taeguek 8. It teaches combinations, body-shifting, sweeps, and joint-locks.

Miles

Latest Discussions