Once Upon a time .......

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's an article someone sent me:

Once Upon A Time - By C. M. Griffin
Taekwondo Times - January 2001

ONCE UPON A TIME...

ONCE UPON A TIME. ..Martial arts instructors were tough, strong and intelligent. They taught the arts because they wanted to uphold a tradition in the arts. They taught the arts because they loved it and wanted to share with others. They taught the arts because they believed it was their calling. They taught the arts to give something back to the community. They did not pursue it as a business, as a vehicle to make money.

ONCE UPON A TIME.-.The measure of success of a martial art instructor was good, strong, smart, tough, respectful students. It was not the size of the school or the flashiness of a car that indicated success.

ONCE UPON A TIME.. .The dojang was a place of sweat, pain and sacrifice. It was a place where strong moral character was forged in the fire of extremely hard work. It was not a social club where one gathered to meet friends. It was not a place of music and health drinks where the beautiful people or the "chill crowd" goes to be seen in the place to be.

ONCE UPON A TIME... Martial artists considered the training hall a temple dedicated to the excellence of human personal achievement. It was not a cheap daycare center or a convenient baby-sitter.

ONCE UPON A TIME...The martial arts were not for everyone—and were never intended for everyone. If someone could not keep up with the class, if they could not "get" the techniques, they were never promoted to the next level. Certainly the martial curriculum was never changed to meet the slowest persons needs!

ONCE UPON A TIME.. .Students had to actually know and perform the requirements for each belt promotion. They were never helped at the test or told the answers. They didn't have black belts standing around to help them remember particular techniques. Students were never promoted just because they showed up. They had to be able to do the techniques and with a certain level of excellence.

ONCE UPON A TIME.. .Promotion exams were not a major social event. Mothers, fathers, grandparents, wives, boyfriends, and girlfriends were not seated around the testing area watching the students perform. Testing was private; after all, it was possible to fail and have to retake the test.

ONCE UPON A TIME. ..Everyone strove for improvement to reach that proverbial high bar. The bar was never lowered so that everyone could rise over it. If you couldn't reach it, you worked harder. We strove for excellence and were not satisfied with mediocrity.

ONCE UPON A TIME.. .Everyone was not so concerned with rank and titles. Everyone wasn't a shihan, soke, kwan jang nim, or grandmaster. They were simply sa bum nims or senseis. There certainly were not any thirty year old grandmasters.

ONCE UPON A TIME. ..The black belt had meaning. A brown or red belt was someone to be feared and respected. A black belt was something else. A second degree was extremely difficult to get, not even to mention a third or fourth degree. There were no 15 year old second degree black belts. Becoming a black belt was a long hard road to travel and required extremely intensive study.

ONCE UPON A TIME.. .Uniforms, gis and doboks were either white or black. You could identify the school of a student by the simple patch on the uniform. The name of the school was not emblazoned across every stitch of the uniform and it did not look like a reject from a Fredericks of Hollywood catalogue or the costume of a cartoon super hero.

ONCE UPON A TIME... Techniques and philosophies worked and you knew they worked because they were tested against peers in the dojang or at a tournament. Plain, simple and true; if your philosophy did not work, you got your backside handed to you.

ONCE UPON A TIME.. .Martial arts magazines were filled with information about styles, systems, training methods and tournaments. They were not ads or pseudo articles espousing the virtues of a particular school.

ONCE UPON A TIME...If you were in martial arts you were part of a unique, small and elite society. It was a society rich with history and traditions. You were proud to be a part of that society. You were not belittled or degraded; people did not walk by the dojang and make fake Bruce Lee noises. You were respected and you earned that respect. >>>>>>

It makes me think how "different" martial arts is today. It actually sadens me to think about the "martial businesses" out there. I long for those old days. Eventhough I wasn't there (I'm prolly too young to remember), I wish I was.

S

Shinzu

wow!!! ... i'm gonna post that on my website. it is such a same that things have come to this.

i'm sure there are plenty of masters who have paased on that look down and cant believe that such a beautiful thing could go this rotten.

i too wish the days of the past could be the present.

C

Chiduce

That is a very good analogy of today's widely used martial art business persona!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

H

hand2handCombat

TOTALLY AGREE!!! back then it was way more traditional and wayyy more tough. now its gyms with bags and all. back then it was nature. the beatiful nature where everything is equipment.

D

Deathtrap101

there are 15 year old 2nd degree black belts??? well than....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jut plain beautiful.

Its a damn shame things are not like that anymore.

I miss those days.

Excellent post THank you
Shadow:asian:

May I have your permission to copy and post this in my school?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a reminder that we try not to violate copyright laws.
A link is used most of the time so we can go to the original site if possible. If it is a written article in a magizine w etry not to copy the whole thing and if it is extented in lenght we try to get permission fron the mag. or auther to reproduce.

MT Mod
Shadow

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tshadow.

I credited the writers name and where my friend got the article (TaeKwonDo Times). I also didn't use the whole article.

Responce to your first post: If you have the Jan 2001 TKD Times, go for it LOL. You might want to ask them, not me LOL.

Thanks to Mr. Griffin to a well written article :) ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by karatekid1975

I credited the writers name and where my friend got the article (TaeKwonDo Times). I also didn't use the whole article.

I don't think either of these are enough to qualify as 'fair use' for an article excerpt that long, but I am not an expert. However, crediting the source only addresses plagiarism--which was clearly not an issue here--not copyright violation.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Arnis. Besides, a friend of mine (who sent me the article) also credited the writer/mag. I don't see a problem with saying "well written article" after mentioning their name (who wrote it) and the mag (TKD Times).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At least you're in Upstate NY (my home)! I'm stuck here in the Midwest. See, it could always be worse.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgive me for playing the devil's advocate here :)

There was also a time when MA was NOT taught to non-Asians.

There was the time when the MA world was close-minded with each school harboring the idea that its MA was the end-all be-all MA. You would be punished for cross-training at another school.

There was the time when you didn't get to learn what MA you desire. The school decided arbitrarily at its sole discretion if you were worthy of learning its MA.

Today's MA world is open to all who so chooses to participate. No one blocks you from learning a MA b/c of the color of your skin or your sex or which school you are currently affiliated with.

Having said that, of course I do NOT in any way dispute the quality control issues mentioned in the original post.

I suppose one can say that today's MA is a consumer product and hence the consumer has to choose wisely which school and which instructor to select.

JMHO :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good points KennethKu. We have lots of advantages today, including those of a better understanding of anatomy and conditioning.

M

Master of Blades

KennethKu has a point people. Think about it. Sure we all want to live in a world where were one of the few people who do what we do and therefore I deserve more respect then what I get. Your kinda treating it like its one of those clubs you used to have when you were kids or suming. Its not and never was. Sure I would prefer it in the old days when it was like that. I'd prefer it if I actually got more respect then someone who supposedly went to three of four Judo lessons. But its not gonna be like the old days. You cant go to other classes and just challenge them to a fight and crap. And that article kinda complains about the fact that some people shouldnt be the grade they are today because by some peoples standards there not good enough. What I wanna know is why is everyone so worried about what other grade someone is. You should be concerned about yourself and what grade you are. It shouldnt make a differance to you. And obviousley in most cases if he got graded then it is because your teacher thought he was worth it and therefore your complaining about yours or someone elses teacher, which in my opinion is disrespectful. Ive been taught the old fashioned way, if I think Im better then someone then I will prove it by doing better in my progress etc. Thats my feeling on the whole article, allthough all of you probally think im chatting B.S. :D

T

tonbo

In addition to what KennethKu said, you have to remember that there are still schools out there that live by the "Once upon a time...." philosophies. Not *every* school is a McDojo, and not every school has flashy uniforms.

As has been said many times, many ways: Do your homework. Look for a school that fits your needs, and go with it. If you like the flashy, glitzy uniforms, go there. If you want to be part of the "wannabe" community, go there. If you want to train every waking hour, then by all means, do it!

I feel like there is a lot of truth in that article, but a little bit of excessive whining in it as well. Hey, if you don't like what you see around you, change it! Find a new school, association, sensei/sifu, WHATEVER!

Spend your time training, not complaining......:)

Peace--

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

At least you're in Upstate NY (my home)! I'm stuck here in the Midwest. See, it could always be worse.

Arnisador et al,

I feel slighted :D , The Midwest is my home. :cool: I like it. ;)

As to the copy right discussion, I have seen on other sites, something of the following:
" Copy Righted Company XYZ 19xx-20yy, and the use of any and or all information here does not challenge their copy righted material, . . . "

I believe the concern here is money. IF you mention the publication source, they get the advertisement and people can go see the source and get the whole article, if you mention the author, they can contact or search for the author's others publications and obtain them. Now just because others have done this, by no means does it make it the correct, right, or legal. I just make a point of what I have seen.

As for the content of the article quoted and posted here, I like it. Thank you.

As for the open-mindedness of the Martial Art community now to teach non-Asians, I thank those that made it possible. For, I am one who has benefited greatly from my training.

Have a nice Day

Rich

Latest Discussions