Olympic Sparring Rules

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about the proposed changed for Olympic Sparring rules?

I have not heard much through the grapevine being ITF style
so I'd be interested to find out what people have found out and what the roumers are. I'd also like to know what the WTF people think about it, especially those who compete or coach people who compete.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you be more specific about what rules you have heard are changing.

There were some recent rules changes that took effect last June but, at least to my knowledge, there are no currently pending changes although I can see where there might be some rules changes that might have to happen in order for the e-hogu's as they are designed to work within the rule set, such as to remove the back as a valid target.

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It might be the ruiles that have already changed that I have heard about.
I certainly can't find anything on the 'net having just had a skim around about any more pending ones.

How are they affecting you? Are they making any difference to your training and how do you view them?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Smaller ring 8 x 8
3 points for head shot
2 points for spining techniques that land
No 7 point gap
No 12 point celing
And a few other rules that have already been in affect since June of this year.

Read more on the rules from this link http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/16471/USAT_Rules_REVISE_July09.pdf

The affect on training and use in the ring are more back kicks, more head kick and more fighting less waiting around. 3 or 4 or even 6 point lead means nothing anymore as one shot to the head and you are back in the game.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Smaller Ring = I like it because there is less room to hide
3 Points for head shot = I like it because my daughter has a wicked headshot, when she uses it
2 Point for turning kick = I do not like it because it is very disruptive to the flow of the fight to stop a fight to award an extra point
No more point gap = I am on the fence. I wish there was still a point gap, but 7 was too small. Maybe a 10 point gap would be good
No more point ceiling = I like it. I saw way too many very good fights end 11-12 or 10-12 etc.
Instead of kyongos / gamjeoms deducting points from the offenders score, points are awarded to the person playing within the rules = I like it. There is something that is more psychologically damaging seeing your opponent getting points given to them when you cheat that I think has and will continue to reduce cheating.
Lifting your leg to impede your opponent's attact = I do not like it. This was obviously directed directly at Steven Lopez and became a tool that my daughter learned to use effectively, but has now had to unlearn.

There are others and I have my thoughts on them as well, but I need to get back to work.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lifting your leg to impede your opponent's attact = I do not like it. This was obviously directed directly at Steven Lopez and became a tool that my daughter learned to use effectively, but has now had to unlearn.
Have your daughter turn the leg or knee up into a cut kick. Not quite the same but still gives you something to work with.

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wasn't looking to see the rules themselves, just find out how people feel about the change and how it will affect the way they train if at all.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't looking to see the rules themselves, just find out how people feel about the change and how it will affect the way they train if at all.

oh. ok.
Well I personally like the smaller ring. Also the 3 point head shot.
I wish the point gap were higher than 7 but not completely eliminated like they did. I agree 10 would have been good.
I do like them removeing the point ceiling. dont know how many good close fights i saw get stopped too early because of it.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also, like the idea of no celing as it give you a chance even if down by 3 or 4 with the new 3 point head and 2 point turning kicks.

As for the no gap, I too do not like this as you can get hurt if you are beating someone 12 - 0 and they just choose to do something crazy because they know they can't win.

I also like the new point system as it allows you to catch up in one or two kicks if down by a few. Also it make the game better as you have to keep fighting now as 2 points up is not enough to just slow the fight down.

Smaller ring is ok but not much of a big deal to me.

As for training, I think more people will work on back kicks and turning kicks more, as well as more kicks to the head. I also think that more people will work on counter kicking as well.

All in all I think the changes or reverts (some rules have just reverted back to how things were (no gap and no celing) will make things more dynamic and we should see better fights and more KO's.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK ... What the heck is with the bug? I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out how that damn thing got into my computor screen!?.... Ok maybe a few seconds....

I also, like the idea of no celing as it give you a chance even if down by 3 or 4 with the new 3 point head and 2 point turning kicks.

As for the no gap, I too do not like this as you can get hurt if you are beating someone 12 - 0 and they just choose to do something crazy because they know they can't win.

I also like the new point system as it allows you to catch up in one or two kicks if down by a few. Also it make the game better as you have to keep fighting now as 2 points up is not enough to just slow the fight down.

Smaller ring is ok but not much of a big deal to me.

As for training, I think more people will work on back kicks and turning kicks more, as well as more kicks to the head. I also think that more people will work on counter kicking as well.

All in all I think the changes or reverts (some rules have just reverted back to how things were (no gap and no celing) will make things more dynamic and we should see better fights and more KO's.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK ... What the heck is with the bug? I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out how that damn thing got into my computor screen!?.... Ok maybe a few seconds....
LOL...Yeah I thought it was cool looking. Sorry.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do not like the smaller ring; less room to move. It makes me feel constrained. I have gotten used to it (we do in class sparring in the 8X8 ring), but do not like it. Probably would not care if I was not as tall; I cover the whole ring in two steps.

Do not like the no lifting leg to stop an opponent's technique. In a sport that is primarily leg and foot techniques, why limit the usable techniques? They have already all but eliminated hand in terms of scoring.

Otherwise, I am okay with the rest. particularly the no ceiling (like that).

As to how it will affect training, people will have to train to fight in the smaller ring and will practice more spinning techs. And may have to unlearn the leg lifting, as Mangoman pointed out.

Daniel