Olympi Tae-Kwon-Do

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tkang_TKD said:
Would you agree that it is no more of a disservice to MA than Olympic Boxing is to Boxing?

No, i would not. Olympic boxing is not that functionaly different than professional. It is by and large the same rules, with a greater emphasis on safety, hence the points. And the point system in boxing is not all that much different from a pro fight decided by judges decision. I can look at Olympic boxing and have pretty good idea of what boxing is all about.

If I look at Olympic TKD, my idea of MA is 2 people bouncing like bunnies, not defending themselves. I've done TKD before it got into the Olympics. Our sparring was nowhere like that. No other striking art spars like that.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that always strikes me in threads like this is how people compare. Well it's not like this art/stystem/style/sport and why? Because it is what it is. It's Olympic Style TKD. Not "Traditional TKD" or "Combat TKD" or Boxing, or Kickboxing or Kenpo. It's Olympic Style TKD. The people you see are the best in the world at *this* style of sport. Just see it for what it is. I mean how come they don't shoot at moving targets in archery? Or have the targets fire back in the shooting sports? Or release tigers for the sprinters and sharks for the swimmers? Because it is what it is.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that about sums it up...

olympic tkd is not a martial art...it is a sport aspect of a martial art...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I took a year of TKD back in the late 70's, we concentrated on kicking but still punched. I still respect those guys and thought it was a great art.
I was hoping to give you a better idea or example this morning during class. It's unfortunate that my stupid toe was broken :idunno: . Maybe next time when I get a chance to go in @ 100% we'll be able to cover more drills and I'll be able to wear boots and kick during the sparring.
:asian:

OP
K

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I was hoping to give you a better idea or example this morning during class. It's unfortunate that my stupid toe was broken :idunno: . Maybe next time when I get a chance to go in @ 100% we'll be able to cover more drills and I'll be able to wear boots and kick during the sparring.
Sorry about your toe, but I had fun anyway. I look forward to our Olympic TKD class. The difference however is that you punch well. Thanks for coming to the class. Buddy tape your toe.

See ya,

Jeff

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bignick said:
that about sums it up...

olympic tkd is not a martial art...it is a sport aspect of a martial art...

We understand that. However, the Olympics are a showcase. All other sports presented are how the sport is practiced. In comes TKD, and the non-MAist out there sees that and thinks, 'that's what TKD is like, it sucks'. I wish that Olympic TKD could be a lot closer to what true TKD is.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those that are IN Taekwondo understand, and it really is no problem for us.
As others have stated, Olympic TKD is a sport, and there are those that don't do competition or those that do a little local/state and practice the art too. No big deal to discern the difference. Its just in the rules. TW

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Told ya not to go bike ridin'. :whip:

Yep, the Olympic TKD looks decent, but with no arms involved (Hardly), most observant fighters (The Big Guns) would probably shrug.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
CanuckMA said:
We understand that. However, the Olympics are a showcase. All other sports presented are how the sport is practiced. In comes TKD, and the non-MAist out there sees that and thinks, 'that's what TKD is like, it sucks'. I wish that Olympic TKD could be a lot closer to what true TKD is.
But that is how the sport is practiced.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Sorry about your toe
That's just the way it goes. If I didn't expect to get hit or even hurt in a martial arts class then I should stay home and quit.
but I had fun anyway.
Good I expect that everyone else did as well. Work on the attendance while I work on my significant other and hopefully I'll be there more.
I look forward to our Olympic TKD class.
Remember that I only gave a short very brief idea behind kicking and kicking drills. Most people in our class need to work on their kicks. Punching and striking is fine but we all need to find what techniques suit us the best and hone the skills.
The difference however is that you punch well.
I did some amateur kickboxing in '91 where the 5-6 months of training we did I had 2 amateur fights. When I put the gloves on I felt just fine with only using hand techniques.
Thanks for coming to the class.
No problem, I had fun. I'll wait until next time.
Buddy tape your toe.
I'm going to do something. I can't hardly even move it today. It did turn a nice shade of a purplish/red and the entire toe is now that color.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I was looking forward to watching olympic TKD but was unfortunately disappointed. Help me understand why we have a sport that involves bouncing up and down with your arms down. Why no head punches? It seems to me that if we allowed scoring with head punches the kicking would remain important but that defense would return to the sport.

I read an article fairly recently (sorry, can't remember what one) that stated that way back when it was considered rude to punch someone's head/ face, but was ok to kick to the head/ face. How true it is, I have no clue- just something I read. I took olympic style TKD for 6+ months, and had a lot of fun, but we were taught more than just TKD. At my current class, we're taught the fancy stuff, but it is'nt stressed to reach head level kicks, and we do a lot of hand strikes and punches. Not every school is the same.

Latest Discussions