Old man defeats burglar with his hands.....

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before messing with an old man, you probably should learn what kind of young man he was........so learned would-be burglar Gregory McCalium, 24, when, armed with a knife, he attempted to burglarize the home of Frank Corti, 72.

What he didn't know was that Frank Corti was a boxer in his younger years........and McCalium's face speaks volumes about Corti's current punching ability after only two punches.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...Four-And-A-Half-Years/Article/200906415325104

A good example of the power of boxing and punching for self-defense, and about how those skills aren't entirely perishable.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strength may come and go, but technique and muscle memory stays for much longer. The burglar got what he deserved.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is the UK - I'm amazed they didn't throw the homeowner in prison for daring to assault an innocent young man who merely wanted to stick a small knife in the homeowners. Someone had best act quickly, or common sense is likely to return to England.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing better than sending a criminal to jail is sending a criminal to jail with an ***-whupping.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is the UK - I'm amazed they didn't throw the homeowner in prison for daring to assault an innocent young man who merely wanted to stick a small knife in the homeowners. Someone had best act quickly, or common sense is likely to return to England.

No joke... especially considering how bad that idiot got jacked up.

Good on the old man though!!!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hah, I love it! Old guys rule!

And it just goes to show that MA training can never truly go to waste, no matter one's age.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has been posted here before, but this is a 72 year old former Golden Gloves boxer who caught a pickpocket red-handed:

[yt]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mafN9E6AR2Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mafN9E6AR2Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/yt]

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good job. Thats 1 for the team.
As far as perishability of a skillset, I dont believe too firmly that anything really perishes accept the natural degeneration of the human body... Some skills last a lifetime...

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good job. Thats 1 for the team.
As far as perishability of a skillset, I dont believe too firmly that anything really perishes accept the natural degeneration of the human body... Some skills last a lifetime...

Exactly......Not once it's truly ingrained......I truly believe that's why the skills of boxers are so enduring, is because they practice their few basics thousands and thousands of times to the point where they remain indelible.

A rather morbid, but still compelling example of the indelibility of some skill sets is the example of Verne Gagne..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verne_Gagne

Though the incident was tragic, it does illustrate that skills acquired after years of practice remain even while cognitive ability and conscious memory decline.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happens with walking, riding a bike, over the years we may become slow or unsteady, but it is still there.
icon12.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's an uncalled for snide remark, I have been trying to point out to you all that self defence is encouraged here and people don't get done for it but you will persist in believing these fables that we aren't allowed to defend ourselves. I don't know why on earth you should believe it but for crying out loud i wish you would bloody stop it and actually believe the truth as shown by this case, for once.
I don't know who's told you or lead you to believe this crap but you do not get done for defending yourself here. The judge actually commended this guy for defending himself.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's an uncalled for snide remark, I have been trying to point out to you all that self defence is encouraged here and people don't get done for it but you will persist in believing these fables that we aren't allowed to defend ourselves. I don't know why on earth you should believe it but for crying out loud i wish you would bloody stop it and actually believe the truth as shown by this case, for once.
I don't know who's told you or lead you to believe this crap but you do not get done for defending yourself here. The judge actually commended this guy for defending himself.

I agree that it's unfair to say that the UK doesn't allow 'self defense'.........I think the issue is probably the definition of 'self defense' and, and it's limits, and a difference of opinion on where the benefit of the doubt should fall.

In some parts of the US it is considered self-defense to shoot a burglar, armed or not, for the implied threat of even being present in your residence.......that certainly would not be considered self-defense in the UK.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that it's unfair to say that the UK doesn't allow 'self defense'.........I think the issue is probably the definition of 'self defense' and, and it's limits, and a difference of opinion on where the benefit of the doubt should fall.

In some parts of the US it is considered self-defense to shoot a burglar, armed or not, for the implied threat of even being present in your residence.......that certainly would not be considered self-defense in the UK.

Can you tell us what parts of the US that might be? I was always taught that although some places have the "castle doctrine" which says people have no requirement to retreat from danger in thier own homes, self defense could only be claimed if a "reasonable person" would be in fear of death or grevous bodily harm to themselves or others. You can`t shoot people just for trespassing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In common law here self defence is called an 'absolute defence', it doesn't just mitigate a crime it means that no crime exists in the first place, therefore if you defend yourself there is no crime.
However to justify self defence two conditions have to apply, one subjective, the other objective. Firstly, did you genuinely believe that force was necessary to protect yourself and secondly having that belief was the degree of force reasonable to meet the threat as you saw it.

Latest Discussions