Ohhhh...the constitution is the problem...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i just looked up johnson having never really thought of him before. He seems to feel make pot legal will solve all our problems. He had it liated under 4 different topics. No real specifics on much else. But he loves him some legal pot

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i just looked up johnson having never really thought of him before. He seems to feel make pot legal will solve all our problems. He had it liated under 4 different topics. No real specifics on much else. But he loves him some legal pot

Yeah, that's one of the few areas where I do not care for his stance. The rest of it's not too bad, though. And more importantly; he's not nuts like the 'other' Libertarian in the race.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A president who is not willing to compromise with Congress or the electorate won't get anything done, he'll be utterly hogtied. And the majority do not support Libertarian beliefs, not Gary Johnson's, not Ron Paul's. Johnson, as you said, would compromise. It's the only chance he would have of getting anything done at all. Both are hypothetical, since neither can be elected.

As to why Ron Paul is Nutsy Fagin, the reasons go on and on. Take any example. Like the one where he stated on the Daily Show that if there was no government regulation of business, they would not pollute. Because in a Libertarian government, the citizens would not permit it. Only business in collusion with government will pollute; business left entirely to its own devices will never pollute. He also stated that one individual can only make bad choices that affect himself, his choices can never affect anyone else. Really? So if I decide to shoot up the neighborhood, that only affects me? Interesting. Oh wait, I mean CRAZY.

I think those characterizations are all distortions of what Ron Paul has said. In the past, he has clarified these points to a large degree and provided quite a bit of evidence to back up his positions. Still, I can see how some people would think these positions are crazy...and well that's your opinion and we'll just have to disagree. That said, here's why we NEED a person like Ron Paul to run in American politics. We've had so many people who think they know better then you do on how to run your life and that has lead to so many unintended problems, the government doesn't look like it can do anything anymore. Ron Paul has a principled stance that flied directly in the face of recent history and this principled view is really catching on with people. I don't think he's going to be elected this time around. People aren't ready to embrace the promise of liberty yet. However, I think the ideas of freedom and peace are coming forward in the collective consciousness and Ron Paul will be very much like John the Baptist. He's paving the way for someone else...

The long term solutions are going to be ending the empire, getting back to sound money, and getting back to a Constitutional government that stays out of our business. Ron Paul is still in the race and you can support Liberty by supporting him. Any of the other Republicans that are still in the race are just like Obama or even worse, IMO.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think those characterizations are all distortions of what Ron Paul has said. In the past, he has clarified these points to a large degree and provided quite a bit of evidence to back up his positions. Still, I can see how some people would think these positions are crazy...and well that's your opinion and we'll just have to disagree. That said, here's why we NEED a person like Ron Paul to run in American politics. We've had so many people who think they know better then you do on how to run your life and that has lead to so many unintended problems, the government doesn't look like it can do anything anymore. Ron Paul has a principled stance that flied directly in the face of recent history and this principled view is really catching on with people. I don't think he's going to be elected this time around. People aren't ready to embrace the promise of liberty yet. However, I think the ideas of freedom and peace are coming forward in the collective consciousness and Ron Paul will be very much like John the Baptist. He's paving the way for someone else...

The long term solutions are going to be ending the empire, getting back to sound money, and getting back to a Constitutional government that stays out of our business. Ron Paul is still in the race and you can support Liberty by supporting him. Any of the other Republicans that are still in the race are just like Obama or even worse, IMO.

A) Americans are not interested in liberty. We talk a good game. Regardless of what we NEED, what we're going to GET is more liars promising us more stuff. Check back and tell me I'm wrong after the election.
B) Ron Paul is not 'catching on'. He peaked last time around. I used to see lots of Ron Paul yard signs and bumper stickers. Now, none.
C) Paul is not going to live long enough to run in 8 years, and he might not make 4. That's not a threat, he's old.
D) It's not an either/or. I am not voting for Paul or anyone in the GOP. The GOP sucks, and the Democrats are worse. I'm voting (so far, unless something happens to change my mind) for Gary Johnson.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't say that I disagree with a lot of your reasoning, Bill. I am still supporting Ron Paul simply for my own idealistic fervor...and I do think his ideas have FAR more support this election cycle. I've volunteered on some campuses this year and did so in 08 and there is a HUGE difference.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't say that I disagree with a lot of your reasoning, Bill. I am still supporting Ron Paul simply for my own idealistic fervor...and I do think his ideas have FAR more support this election cycle. I've volunteered on some campuses this year and did so in 08 and there is a HUGE difference.

I have seen it too. And the numbers displayed this as well. Ron Paul received 8% of the NH Primary in 08, he recieved 22% this year coming in a distant 2nd to Romney. That's a big jump.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Carol said:
I have seen it too. And the numbers displayed this as well. Ron Paul received 8% of the NH Primary in 08, he recieved 22% this year coming in a distant 2nd to Romney. That's a big jump.

Not big enough. And, unfortunately, he's probably too old for a VP candidacy, though Cheney supplied ample precedent-because Romney/Paul just might be an election winning ticket. Not that it'll ever happen........nor, unfortunately, would it make much difference from what's going on now........

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not big enough. And, unfortunately, he's probably too old for a VP candidacy, though Cheney supplied ample precedent-because Romney/Paul just might be an election winning ticket. Not that it'll ever happen........nor, unfortunately, would it make much difference from what's going on now........

Ron Paul will have enough delegates to possibly cause a brokered convention, however.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ron Paul will have enough delegates to possibly cause a brokered convention, however.

Thats funny i was listening to a left wing radio show the other day and they said the paln of the republicans was to get to a brokered convention and then nominate someone not even running right now and the poor dems wont have time to launch a.neg campaign against this new player. They were claiming it would be Jeb Bush. I cant remember what show it was Mike Malloy show i think

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thats funny i was listening to a left wing radio show the other day and they said the paln of the republicans was to get to a brokered convention and then nominate someone not even running right now and the poor dems wont have time to launch a.neg campaign against this new player. They were claiming it would be Jeb Bush. I cant remember what show it was Mike Malloy show i think

I'm getting the popcorn and watching the country go down in flames then. Bush vs Obama...LOL! Now that's Professional Wrestling level BS.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Definitely not big enough...the delegate count shows that. I was expecting him to do better in New Hampshire based on the huge groundswell of local support that he had. He is popular with many voters -- including a significant portion of the libertarian community -- who don't vote. Period. Can't beat Mitt if your constituency doesn't show at the polls.

Latest Discussions