Officer Involved In Fatal Crash

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-windsor-locks-fatal-1120-20101119,0,6794982.story

Jeanne Johnson called 911 seconds after hearing the thud of a crash outside her Windsor Locks home and spotting a man stumbling outside his crumpled car. As she watched, the man reached back into the car and grabbed an object.

"He threw something in my yard; I think he might be drunk,'' Johnson told the police dispatcher during the call, recorded at 12:01 a.m. on Oct. 30.

The man was off-duty police Officer Michael Koistinen, who was driving the car that had just struck and killed 15-year-old Henry Dang and who was charged Thursday with first-degree manslaughter, among other charges, in connection with the crash.

And the cover-up begins:

http://www.courant.com/community/windsor-locks/hc-windsor-locks-fatal-1116-20101115,0,5220829.story

And now we learn that this officer was rejected by 5 other PDs, prior to finally getting hired by the one that his father works at, as a Sgt.

http://www.courant.com/community/windsor-locks/hc-windsor-locks-fatal1202-20101201,0,5652035.story

One has to wonder...given the seriousness of this incident, how people can, without feeling any guilt, cover up for this guys actions? How does someone do so poor during the process of 5 towns, yet somehow, gets hired by his current PD?

Some people who reside in that town, where this happened, feel that the PD as a whole, should not be frowned upon, yet I think its kinda hard to not frown, when you see things like this happen.

For the record, I'm not anti-cop, and that should be apparent by past posts. What I dont like, is when people, who clearly are at fault, attempt to hide their actions.

Thoughts?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No comments on this?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
on what?

Police draws from the same pool of people that everybody else hires people from. It's what we got as the first Chancellor of Germany Conrad Adenauer once said.

The man was rejected by several other departments? Maybe they need to share more information. Then again they might have failed him for different reasons each time.

So what is your point?

poop happened. So he wore a badge...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
on what?

Police draws from the same pool of people that everybody else hires people from. It's what we got as the first Chancellor of Germany Conrad Adenauer once said.

The man was rejected by several other departments? Maybe they need to share more information. Then again they might have failed him for different reasons each time.

So what is your point?

poop happened. So he wore a badge...

Just thought that since this incident a) was the result of someone drinking, b) that a young kid was killed, c) that 9 times out of 10, anytime theres a police related incident, numerous people come out of the woodwork to voice their opinions on the LEOs, d) the fact that this guy probably shouldn't be a cop at all, was worth discussion. I take it by your reply that you're not interested in the topic. Thats fine.

I could easily go back to a number of police related threads, and see 10+ pages, see people who seem to think that the cops could always do a better job, and the list goes on and on and on.

So, yeah, that was my point. BTW, what was your point with your post?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't had time to look at it. Applying to a lot of places and not getting hired doesn't necessarily speak for or against someone; depends on how many they were hiring, among other things. And lots of cops have no law enforcement experience before they start -- just as many doctors have no medical experience before they go to med school. His training record is bad... and doesn't help him at all. But we're not really talking about hiIs professional performance.

He's been charged; based on what you've included, I don't see an obvious cover up. I see a lawyer aggressively defending his client in the press.

EDIT: Regarding the hiring... At first glance, I see someone who took a couple tries to get it together based on the article. It happens. College grades... depends on how much he actually went to college... The psych eval is pretty normal for a young applicant.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just thought that since this incident a) was the result of someone drinking, b) that a young kid was killed, c) that 9 times out of 10, anytime theres a police related incident, numerous people come out of the woodwork to voice their opinions on the LEOs, d) the fact that this guy probably shouldn't be a cop at all, was worth discussion. I take it by your reply that you're not interested in the topic. Thats fine.

I could easily go back to a number of police related threads, and see 10+ pages, see people who seem to think that the cops could always do a better job, and the list goes on and on and on.

So, yeah, that was my point. BTW, what was your point with your post?
There are a lot of people carrying a badge that probably shouldn't be dog catcher.
No different than any other job.

people get drunk and kill other people, happens every day, sadly enough. That's what made M.A.D.D. come to live, you know, drunk drivers...

I heard of a dentist drive drunk and kill a kid...I mean, a man who can administer and prescribe potent drugs...

All part of being human. My heart goes out to the family of the child, but sheesh...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't had time to look at it. Applying to a lot of places and not getting hired doesn't necessarily speak for or against someone; depends on how many they were hiring, among other things. And lots of cops have no law enforcement experience before they start -- just as many doctors have no medical experience before they go to med school. His training record is bad... and doesn't help him at all. But we're not really talking about hiIs professional performance.

Agreed. However, given the difficulties this guy was having, that should say something.

He's been charged; based on what you've included, I don't see an obvious cover up. I see a lawyer aggressively defending his client in the press.

IMO, I think the fact his father is so involved in this, raises some eyebrows. Supposedly he took his son from the accident scene, to the PD and back to the crash again. Why? No tests to determine if he was drunk?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being finally hired at that town was easy... it was all a matter of WHO you know... not WHAT. Now this happens.
Hopefully he'll be fired and never be able to work as an LEO again. Sorry for that but he just killed someone by a means that he pulls other people over and arrests them for. No excuse what-so-ever!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. However, given the difficulties this guy was having, that should say something.
what difficulties was he having?
You take one event and turn it into 'difficulties'
Though admittedly not likely, this might have been the man's first ever drink.

IMO, I think the fact his father is so involved in this, raises some eyebrows. Supposedly he took his son from the accident scene, to the PD and back to the crash again. Why? No tests to determine if he was drunk?

he took him to the police station? now what is wrong with that, it's not like he went home...so more people have seen his drunk behind, not just the crew that secured the accident...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people carrying a badge that probably shouldn't be dog catcher.
No different than any other job.

people get drunk and kill other people, happens every day, sadly enough. That's what made M.A.D.D. come to live, you know, drunk drivers...

I heard of a dentist drive drunk and kill a kid...I mean, a man who can administer and prescribe potent drugs...

All part of being human. My heart goes out to the family of the child, but sheesh...

In case you think that I'm one of those anti cop people, I'm not. I have many friends who are in the LE field, I work close with them, my Grandfather retired from a PD, so no, I'm not anti cop.

What amazes me though, is while these things seem like everyday things to you, I have to wonder, how people like this can a) get hired as cops, b) maintain a job as a cop, and c) have people cover up for you.

Personally, while I do agree that people drive drunk all the time, thats not really relavant to this. I mean really, if the shoe were on the other foot, and you or I were in this situation, I'd bet it'd be much different.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
what difficulties was he having?
You take one event and turn it into 'difficulties'
Though admittedly not likely, this might have been the man's first ever drink.

I'm assuming you read the articles before you came here and started giving me a hard time for my thread? Did you read the link that I posted in which it said he was passed up by 5 other Pds? Did you read the difficulties he was having in the academy? When you do, come on back and join in the thread.

he took him to the police station? now what is wrong with that, it's not like he went home...so more people have seen his drunk behind, not just the crew that secured the accident...

LOL, you cant be serious here. I mean really..... I mean, are you honestly saying you see nothing wrong with that or are you just trolling? You see nothing wrong with someone leaving the scene of a fatal accident? BTW, his father should have immediately removed himself from the situation. Why? Personal bias. The guy should have went to the hospital not the PD.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Being finally hired at that town was easy... it was all a matter of WHO you know... not WHAT. Now this happens.
Hopefully he'll be fired and never be able to work as an LEO again. Sorry for that but he just killed someone by a means that he pulls other people over and arrests them for. No excuse what-so-ever!

Ahh...finally...someone whos actually making some sense here.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm assuming you read the articles before you came here and started giving me a hard time for my thread? Did you read the link that I posted in which it said he was passed up by 5 other Pds? Did you read the difficulties he was having in the academy? When you do, come on back and join in the thread.

you got whiney because nobody had anything to say...I thought I'd humor you so you can safe some Kleenex...

LOL, you cant be serious here. I mean really..... I mean, are you honestly saying you see nothing wrong with that or are you just trolling? You see nothing wrong with someone leaving the scene of a fatal accident? BTW, his father should have immediately removed himself from the situation. Why? Personal bias. The guy should have went to the hospital not the PD.

LOL, trolling... HAHA...

people mess sup. That's a fact of life. I have no idea what anybody thought while this was going down, but hey, they went to the POLICE STATION. I think that's were you go when you screwed up and left the scene of an accident...

I do not see were you get all upset.

It's in the papers, all over the net, what do you want a bunch of strangers on the internet to do about it? Sorry, my torches and pitchforks are out on a different mission tonight. Forgot which it was...but it was something worthy...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In case you think that I'm one of those anti cop people, I'm not. I have many friends who are in the LE field, I work close with them, my Grandfather retired from a PD, so no, I'm not anti cop.
<shrug>

What amazes me though, is while these things seem like everyday things to you, I have to wonder, how people like this can a) get hired as cops, b) maintain a job as a cop, and c) have people cover up for you.
I am a cynic and live in the real world.
I gave up wondering.

Personally, while I do agree that people drive drunk all the time, thats not really relavant to this. I mean really, if the shoe were on the other foot, and you or I were in this situation, I'd bet it'd be much different.
It does not matter one dang bit to the family of the person killed what job the driver had. Dentist, cop, preacher or drug dealer. The hole in their lives is not going to be any bigger and smaller depending on who drove the car.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
you got whiney because nobody had anything to say...I thought I'd humor you so you can safe some Kleenex...

Just doing what I'm supposed to do...start topics, and get discussion going. If you werent remotely interested in a serious discussion, why reply? To troll? I mean, if you're not offering up anything productive, why bother?

LOL, trolling... HAHA...

Hmm...so is that what you're doing? I'll be sure to report that. You know, people get booted from the forum for that. I'd hate to see you go. :D

people mess sup. That's a fact of life. I have no idea what anybody thought while this was going down, but hey, they went to the POLICE STATION. I think that's were you go when you screwed up and left the scene of an accident...

I do not see were you get all upset.

It's in the papers, all over the net, what do you want a bunch of strangers on the internet to do about it? Sorry, my torches and pitchforks are out on a different mission tonight. Forgot which it was...but it was something worthy...

Hmm..was he under arrest? Why was he removed from the scene, but brought back just in time to get transported?

And I wasn't looking for a solution, just looking to discuss the issue. Sorry it isn't sexy enough for you. Why dont you go to a topic thats more your speed, if you're not going to offer up anything worthwhile here? Trolling again?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

No, I didn't expect you to be impressed. Actually, I wasn't trying to impress you.

I am a cynic and live in the real world.
I gave up wondering.

LOL, no comment.

It does not matter one dang bit to the family of the person killed what job the driver had. Dentist, cop, preacher or drug dealer. The hole in their lives is not going to be any bigger and smaller depending on who drove the car.

No, just that the person that did this, is the same person whos job it is, to go out and get people like that off the road, not become one of them.

BTW, I take it you didn't bother to read any of the links, before you came here to spew your worthless posts. Is your goal to derail the thread or actually contribute?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
<shrug>

I am sorry I can't help you.
I am just not that outraged.

Is that good enough for you?

I have started threads that nobody looked. Happens. I usually get it after a day of nobody saying anything that they are just not that into it.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
<shrug>

I am sorry I can't help you.
I am just not that outraged.

Is that good enough for you?

I have started threads that nobody looked. Happens. I usually get it after a day of nobody saying anything that they are just not that into it.

Like I said, I wasn't looking for help, just looking to discuss the topic. Funny how Palin gets the people chatting though. For the life of me, I cant see whats so exciting about talking about her, but whatever.....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I didn't expect you to be impressed. Actually, I wasn't trying to impress you.
No that is a way to break a girl's heart...

No, just that the person that did this, is the same person whos job it is, to go out and get people like that off the road, not become one of them.

BTW, I take it you didn't bother to read any of the links, before you came here to spew your worthless posts. Is your goal to derail the thread or actually contribute?

You came back and whined nobody said anything.

Face it. People are just not so easily outraged anymore.
What do you want us to do? Run around hysterically yell 'ZOMFG ZOMFG'
I don't get it.

Derail? I am usually the first to admit to a good derailment, but this is on topic, the opinion you asked for.

Honest to goodness.
had a cop shoot a naked man with a knife at my former home town one day, claimed self defense...the nekked dude was a long way away...I seriously gave up wondering.

I did mention I am a cynic, didn't I.

I don't really get where you are going at.

But then again, my GPS burned up over Thanksgiving.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like I said, I wasn't looking for help, just looking to discuss the topic. Funny how Palin gets the people chatting though. For the life of me, I cant see whats so exciting about talking about her, but whatever.....

I can agree with you on that topic.
though, should she run for office, she could kill a lot more people than your one drunk cop...

Latest Discussions