MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Off-Duty Officer Fatally Shoots Unarmed Marine

Man Shot 13 Times Outside Baltimore Nightclub

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/23810790/detail.html?hpt=T2

BALTIMORE -- An off-duty Baltimore City police officer fatally shot an unarmed Marine 13 times outside a nightclub early Saturday.According to Baltimore City police, Tyrone Brown -- a 32-year-old Marine who has served two tours of duty in Iraq -- was shot 13 times at close range. He died a short time later.

Over an argument over a woman.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Marine part is completely irrelevant unless someone's trying to play with our glands by invoking The Troops, The Blessed Sacred Troops.

What's relevant here is that an ******* murdered someone over a woman. Oldest story in the book. The fact that he's a cop makes it a particularly nasty crime.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Caveat... We only have one side because the off-duty officer's not going to talk to the press, nor is the department going to release a lot of details.

That said... Sure seems like the off-duty guy was a dumbass. If you're carrying, whether or not you're a cop... don't drink. Don't get into stupid arguments. Use your freaking brain... I'm willing to be that this guy just threw away a 15 year career. Well, if it was over a girl... I hope she was worth it.

Then again... there's an old saying in LE: Two things will cost you your career; booze & broads. Combine 'em? That's just a recipe for a bad scene.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Caveat... We only have one side because the off-duty officer's not going to talk to the press, nor is the department going to release a lot of details.

That said... Sure seems like the off-duty guy was a dumbass. If you're carrying, whether or not you're a cop... don't drink. Don't get into stupid arguments. Use your freaking brain... I'm willing to be that this guy just threw away a 15 year career. Well, if it was over a girl... I hope she was worth it.

Then again... there's an old saying in LE: Two things will cost you your career; booze & broads. Combine 'em? That's just a recipe for a bad scene.

If an investigation finds that this story is true on it's face I think someone should be facing criminal charges.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If an investigation finds that this story is true on it's face I think someone should be facing criminal charges.
Absolutely! If it's even close to true -- the guy's career is toast, and he should probably be charged, or a good explanation be given about why he's not.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The media is awesome........I'm with Tellner, who cares if he was a Marine. It is tragic either way.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just curious but....
The article says it was over advances that the marine made over a woman that was with the officer....then later in the article it said that the Marine was married and his wife loved him etc....Now Im not trying to downplay the murder of the marine or anything but I think there is more to this story...

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
The officer declined a breath test.

From the article;

"Guglielmi said Tshamba, a 15-year-veteran, shot a man in the foot after a confrontation whilele off duty in 2005. The shooting was found to be justified, but Tshamba was disciplined because he was under the influence of alcohol.

Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III has ordered his senior commanders to oversee the investigation.

Officers typically carry their service weapons while off-duty in Baltimore, but Guglielmi said they should not be carrying their guns if they intend to become intoxicated.(duh)"

I would say any licensed armed citizen should also fall under the Alcohol limit guidelines of Drivers. Any person who has a concealed carry permit should be subjedct t the same alcohol limits as drivers.

It's a shame this man was shot by a cop who has a history of stupidity
while armed and drinking!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious but....
The article says it was over advances that the marine made over a woman that was with the officer....then later in the article it said that the Marine was married and his wife loved him etc....Now Im not trying to downplay the murder of the marine or anything but I think there is more to this story...

I'm sure that you're right....and I doubt we'll ever hear it.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Marine part is completely irrelevant unless someone's trying to play with our glands by invoking The Troops, The Blessed Sacred Troops.

What's relevant here is that an ******* murdered someone over a woman. Oldest story in the book. The fact that he's a cop makes it a particularly nasty crime.

Since the Marine made it through two tours in a war zone, I would say that the irony that he gets killed in his home town might be relevent. Maybe not. Journalistic styles vary.

Two men argued over a woman and one killed the other. It`s a nasty crime alright. I agree with you 100%. But why does the police involvement make it "particularly nasty?" Because we hold police to higher standard because of thier training? Because we have a social contract with them where we expect them to protect the public rather than inflict harm? Or is it simply that you`re trying to play with our glands by blaming The Cops, The Facist, Racist Cops.

Funny how that works both ways, isn`t it?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Exactomundo.

Njia Uhuru Kipura

White Belt
Reaction score
Since the Marine made it through two tours in a war zone, I would say that the irony that he gets killed in his home town might be relevent. Maybe not. Journalistic styles vary.

Two men argued over a woman and one killed the other. It`s a nasty crime alright. I agree with you 100%. But why does the police involvement make it "particularly nasty?" Because we hold police to higher standard because of thier training? Because we have a social contract with them where we expect them to protect the public rather than inflict harm? Or is it simply that you`re trying to play with our glands by blaming The Cops, The Facist, Racist Cops.

Funny how that works both ways, isn`t it?
Stop it. This crime is particularly nasty because yes...the expectations are higher for cops. Therefore, when a cop maliciously does the exact opposite of what is expected of him? It's that much more of a level of nasty. Like going to your doctor and s/he deliberately injects you with poison.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this thread from 2010 got bumped, I thought I'd dig up the outcome. The former officer who was involved was charged with murder and convicted of voluntary manslaughter (a lesser included offense) and also the use of a firearm in a crime of violence in 2011. He was sentenced to a total of 15 years. City officer gets 15 years in fatal shooting of Marine veteran

A Baltimore judge had harsh words Tuesday for city police officer Gahiji Tshamba, calling his actions “repugnant” and sentencing him to 15 years in prison in the shooting death last year of an unarmed Marine veteran outside a Mount Vernon bar.

“None of this had to happen,” Circuit Judge Edward R.K. Hargadon told Tshamba. “You seriously overreacted.”

Hargadon sentenced the officer to seven years for voluntary manslaughter and eight years for using a handgun in a crime of violence, with an additional two-year term held in suspension.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Stop it. This crime is particularly nasty because yes...the expectations are higher for cops. Therefore, when a cop maliciously does the exact opposite of what is expected of him? It's that much more of a level of nasty. Like going to your doctor and s/he deliberately injects you with poison.
It reads like a crime of passion. At that point, the fact that he was a police officer did not have very much merit. IMHO. Clearly, it was premeditated, and the diminutive officer knew he was outsized and overpowered, so he came for bear and gave to marine no chance.

Latest Discussions