Of strong alcohol and High School

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It will seem even more unfair when it comes time to pay for college, unfortunately. Wait for the admissions department smile and nod at the band participation, then fall all over themselves extending cushy scholarships to the ball players. I had to piece together my own ride by spending hours in the library seeking out the onesie twosie scholarships to go while athletes with substantially lower grades were going all expenses paid. Considering college athletics is even bigger money now than it was then, I doubt the situation has improved :(
Carol, it's about money. Truth is, the college gets millions to help educate the kids in the band because they extend scholarships to the kids on the football/basketball team.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
LOL, thank goodness I don't work for them.

However, keeping the head down is counter productive, since our goal is to raise money to get the band to a big venue: Pasadena, Macy's Parade or Disney....a lot of money is needed, and the community is small, so we will step on his toes, and maybe he'll pop a major blood vessel. Casualties of war! :D

After basically having been called a liar, Miss Congeniality is no longer an option.
We are just weighing our options, since we do not wish to steep down to their level.
(though I might have to ask him - in public - how come his girl who was supposed to be a section leader was not on the field at the competition to accept the awards! Yes I am mean, since I know she a a 'tude' with the band director after the first away game :D)

OOOH collateral damage I like :evilgrin:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, there are beers over 10% ABV, and I have had one that was 21%. I think the highest (without using distilliation methods or "icing") is about 27%. I think the Boston Beer Company put those yeasty beasties on steroids to get that! :)
I didn't realize that the Dogfish 120 was 21% alcohol. That explains a lot! :) Tasty beer, though.

Watch out for the dopplebocks and anything that starts with "imperial." :D I had an Imperial Stout once that was around 17%. Actually, I had two. The second one was probably a bad idea. :)

Granfire, I can empathize. I got roped into participating this year on my daughter's band booster as secretary. There are about 120 kids participating in the various bands this year and we have contact information for about 20% of them. We've had three home games so far, and don't even have the entire board elected yet. It's grim. We're suffering from a profound sense of apathy and while we're going to try and make it a good year for the kids, I'm not sure how much we'll be able to do.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the Dogfish 120 was 21% alcohol. That explains a lot! :) Tasty beer, though.

Watch out for the dopplebocks and anything that starts with "imperial." :D I had an Imperial Stout once that was around 17%. Actually, I had two. The second one was probably a bad idea. :)

Granfire, I can empathize. I got roped into participating this year on my daughter's band booster as secretary. There are about 120 kids participating in the various bands this year and we have contact information for about 20% of them. We've had three home games so far, and don't even have the entire board elected yet. It's grim. We're suffering from a profound sense of apathy and while we're going to try and make it a good year for the kids, I'm not sure how much we'll be able to do.

But I bet you won't turn away volunteers! or ream them for showing initiative!

120 kids is pretty big!
the high school (8th through 12th) is only about 40 plus here, the middle school (6th and 7th) is much smaller.

You really have to knock on doors and talk to the people who have pull in the community.
(oh, yeah, Hubby got yelled at for talking to the principal without Booster president's permission! Now how insane is that?!)

I ought to write a book!

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh and Gran, make sure the kid marches at disney with eyes front. Folks jump out in front of you to take pictures :ugggh:
Marched it 2x a year for 4 years. Front row 1 off center.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
137.jpg

They did very well.
This was at a competition they won last Saturday.
The drum major beat out the one from the big power house school with deep pockets!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol, it's about money. Truth is, the college gets millions to help educate the kids in the band because they extend scholarships to the kids on the football/basketball team.
Of course its about money. More about money than education when you think about it. NCAA is big business, and U.S. tuition across the board has risen disproportionate to everyone else. The rich are getting richer, if you will.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course its about money. More about money than education when you think about it. NCAA is big business, and U.S. tuition across the board has risen disproportionate to everyone else. The rich are getting richer, if you will.

True, the jocks win out, but when you see scenes like this:
090.jpg

and
082.jpg

There is hope for the nerds and geeks!

band day at Jack State University, the Marching Southerners invited the local high school band geeks for a day out. Pretty great!
1003 kids participated!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, the jocks win out, but when you see scenes like this:
090.jpg

and
082.jpg

There is hope for the nerds and geeks!

band day at Jack State University, the Marching Southerners invited the local high school band geeks for a day out. Pretty great!
1003 kids participated!

That is fantastic! What a great experience that must have been! Guitarists and bassists were exempt from marching band so....while I was excused from marching in a hot uniform and fundraising requirements, I also missed out on a lot of the camaraderie. Good to see you kids enjoying it :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, poor you!

I actually saw a school bringing out the electric guitars for an exhibition 2 weeks ago! last Saturday one had a keyboard gal! Things are certainly changing!

I am really pleased with how things are turning out for my kid. I think he is the happiest he has been so far in school. The kids in the low brass are really tops!

(our jazz band bassist plays the tuba for concert and marching! Switched over from trombone)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dangit...

on a round about way i found the website of a band booster club of a school we played football against a couple of weeks ago....
They have their act together, complete with booster club meeting minutes on their web page!!!
A full fledged fund raising machine....

The kicker?
The band is tiny and not all that good!
They are working on raising 40k to travel to NYC for the veterans day parade!

Our booster president sucks!

there I said it.

His luck tomorrow is bus day, meaning we don't have to pick up the kids from school... so I won't have the chance to blow my top at school!

Our school band has been invited to Macy's, Pasadena and what have you!
But anything that takes away from the sale of chili cheese fries is a no go.....
heaven help me, I am going to be a full fledged drunk before football season is over.

And the football team keeps WINNING.....
<sigh>

Latest Discussions