Of handswords, bones, and wedges

OP
A

Arithon

You in WA? Doubt I'd get the chance to train with you then...

In regards to a relaxed hand, I begin all of my strikes with a relaxed hand (to maximise speed) and then tense up at the point of impact (to solidify the weapon). An exception to this would be the 'snake poke' (or four-finger flick) where a relaxed hand is much less likely of taking damage.

I agree, I do much the same thing most times. I find it also allowes for a greater variety of hand weapons. That way you can use the most appropriate weapon for the target you are striking.

I know it is strange but you can strike with a relaxed hand, as long as the weapon you are striking with is structurally strong (like the base of the knife hand). We call it dead hand striking.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
So my question is, how do you make a handsword, and in particular does anyone strike with one of the wrist bones?

I teach to do both, the choice between them depends on the target for the handsword.

If the target is the neck.... fine.
If the target is the collar-bone.... not good. Damage to the wrist bones is much more probable with this strike. damage that bone and NO strike will be the right strike.

Your Brother
John

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
A properly executed "handsword" requires the fingers be spread. Striking with the wrist bone doesn't sound like much of a "hand" sword in my opinion. Maybe a "wristsword?"

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, true...
but the deviation is slight, hardly enough to warrant a whole new name really. If I had to create a a new name/descriptor for each little modification or turn of the hand, our system would be too monstrously huge and complex to do any good. I'd rather just show my guys "see, for a slightly different effect in certain instances... use the bone".
I love variety!
Your Brother
John

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Doc
A properly executed "handsword" requires the fingers be spread. Striking with the wrist bone doesn't sound like much of a "hand" sword in my opinion. Maybe a "wristsword?"

Could you descibe the finger spread that you recomend?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
Could you descibe the finger spread that you recomend?
The "finger spread" is not so much of a specific position as it is a condition that exits when a handsword is anatomically correct. When the fingers are touching they force the small spindly metacarpal bones apart, thus the lateral action of the hand become devoid of physical backup mass and structural integrity and a general "cupping" of the hand.

When the hand is formed properly and flat, thumb tucked, with the edge of the hand stiffened, the fingers will "spread" naturally.

Try it: Spread the fingers wide and strike something firm. Now bring the fingers together and do the same thing. Feel it?

OP
R

roryneil

When I use a handsword like in Delayed Sword, I use the whole edge of the hand to strike against the whole side of the neck. When performing Parting Wings, I use the bone in the wrist to strike in a more direct fashion to the ribs. It's more of a "feel" thing that comes the more you perform the strikes and the more you round off corners.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by roryneil
When I use a handsword like in Delayed Sword, I use the whole edge of the hand to strike against the whole side of the neck. When performing Parting Wings, I use the bone in the wrist to strike in a more direct fashion to the ribs. It's more of a "feel" thing that comes the more you perform the strikes and the more you round off corners.
General strikes like you suggest for DS are fine if that is your intent. However striking with your wrist is not a handsword and has a detrimental effect.
The edge of the palm of the hand does not have the nerves or sensitivity found in the wrist which is a part of the fire-ring. Should be struck in close proximity to using your wrist to strike, the effect could be magnified against you. There is a reason it should be specific over and above primitive self defense strikes.

Latest Discussions