odd question

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
So today while I was training (Christmas break so figure I was working for about four hours) I sat down to look up what I was going to as soon as I caught my breath. Then as I look down at the description of check box pattern (coung nhu hands out manuals that describe and list how to do what and when it becomes a requirement, so everyone is doing things closely). And then I had a thought; I’m not really “training” in the martial arts. I’m just trying to act and move as much alike as my sensei (Sensei Wes)/his sensei (Sensei Terry)/Terry’s Sensei (aka grandmaster and founder Ngo Dong). Until I give something to the martial arts as a whole, can really call my self a martial artist? Or am I an imposter, trying to look like my Sensei? My question is partly that. When do you truly “become” a martial artist? I know that question is warn out and now I’m beating a dead horse. But humor me and my apparent lack of reason.
The other half of my question is (just ‘cause I’m weird that way), what do you think of my new (a few hours old) thought. Good idea and go for it, good idea when you’re a black belt, bad idea, bad idea coungnhuka, you screaming idiot.
Humor me, please. Just a little?

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John (the screaming idiot, lol)

I couldn't figure how to use the poll, so bear with me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the beginning of your training, all you can do is try to move as much like your instructor as you can. You have no other frame of reference, he is your only example, so it is all you can do. This is how you learn the material.

Gradually, as you better understand the material, you won't just be imitating your instructor. Rather, the movement will make sense to you, and you will better know why you do it the way you do. Ultimately, you will not look exactly like your instructor, because we are all different. This is how you begin to "own" your art, make it yours, and make it work for you. This is a gradual process and doesn't happen overnight. Probably happens over several years, and never really ends.

As long as you are on this path, you are practicing what you have been taught and you are at whatever level of understanding that you have, you are a martial artist. If you have dedication to your training and you are consistent and thoughtful, then in my opinion, you are a martial artist.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping I would get least one nice comment. I have a habbit of starting threads that either flopp, or get ignored. And something I forgot. This is anouther please just humor me moment, but I would like some direction on how I could contribute to the arts. Just waite and teach, make my own stance, gaurd, technique, pattern, drill, kata, or should i just shut up and train? Thoughts, comments, concerns.

Sweet Brighit Bless Your Blade,

John

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just train, for now. Eventually you may discover where your strongest contribution might go, but don't try to force that. That comes after much time and effort.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks man. your advice is like talking to the Buddha [joke, but still good].

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
thanks man. your advice is like talking to the Buddha [joke, but still good].

Wow, I must have reached enlightenment without realizing it!!
icon11.gif

Glad I could help.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane has some good points. That you thought of this shows you're on the right track. For now, copying your sensei is just fine. As you grow in the arts, and hopefully within yourself, you won't just start moving in your own way, you'll also start giving back. "Pay it forward" is what someone once told me. Help those coming behind you learn and improve while you are doing the same thing for yourself. That's one of the many things that defines a martial artist.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The people answering before me have had excellent advice. You must take small baby steps (learning and imitating) befor you walk(teach) which Comes befor you run (stat making discovers and truly learning)

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great Answer Flying Crane! We all follow a certain art, but as we grow, we start to adapt the moves and techniques to our own style and ability and that is when we truly begin to learn.

Pax
Cujo

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
The people answering before me have had excellent advice. You must take small baby steps (learning and imitating) befor you walk(teach) which Comes befor you run (stat making discovers and truly learning)

Yes, walk before you run...and patience, patience, patience.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks for the thoughts guys. and yes crane, you are enlightened.

T

TheBattousai

Just some conformation for those saying it before, just learn what you can and the skills you seek will come in time. Just think of the principle of nin;patience.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks man slayer (thats what battousai means, right?). and two things,
1. doesn't "nin" mean stealth?
2. welcome, and chech your user cp (i gave you a little gift)

T

TheBattousai

Battousai I know doesn't translate man slayer,that was just a title given to him later (but I don't know what his name really means). But nin can be translated stealth, but the konji itself can be even translated shinobi. Look at it as stealth is the beginning idea but patience being the higher meaning and princible that should be sought after.

(Thanks for that gift)

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kay... (slightly confused). My Japanese isn't to good so I'll take your word for it. And you're welcome. I realised I hadn't welcomed you yet. I like to make it a point ot do that (folks are less likely to hate me later).

Sweet Brighit Bless Your Blade,

John

T

TheBattousai

I can understand your confusion, Japanesse isn't really easy by any means. There three different kinds of Japanesse letters, in terms of what you write; Konji (old style jap.), Herigana (sorry for the spelling, but more common writings), and katakana (translated foriegn words into jap.) Alot of words can have more than one meaning (esp. in konji). For example, the konji that is pronounced shin, can mean mind, spirit, or heart. I'm not an expert by any means, I just know what I know, and still that stuff can be confusing.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel [jokeingly] like I have a secret admireer. Someone sent me a bit of positive rep. And the comment was "your cool". No name. Weird.
So who out there loves me [joke]?

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Latest Discussions