OC Sprays

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought i'd drop a post and ask about folks experiences with OC Sprays, if you carry it, if you've ever used it (Civilian or Law Enforcement). I've got a pretty extensive background with OC, which i'll share, but first I want to hear anyone else's experiences with Pepper Sprays. Do you carry it, have you ever been exposed to it, what did you think, that sort of stuff.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Hawaii it is against the law to carry it on you. The Police offices do carry and use the "spray". Have you notice it doesn't always take the guys down.

If one is prepare to get spray some times you can counter react to its's effect. Have you found this to be true?

If the good people could get them, then this means the bad guys can too! Who do you think will use it more? Bad guys want there jobs to be easy! .....Aloha

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Hawaii it is against the law to carry it on you. The Police offices do carry and use the "spray". Have you notice it doesn't always take the guys down.

If one is prepare to get spray some times you can counter react to its's effect. Have you found this to be true?

If the good people could get them, then this means the bad guys can too! Who do you think will use it more? Bad guys want there jobs to be easy! .....Aloha
Yes, it has been my experience that OC Sprays are less than one hundred percent effective on goal oriented individuals. I myself can fight through the effects of OC Spray enough to continue to be combat effective. OC Spray by itself should never the entire defensive tactics plan. I train my officers that OC Spray should be considered part of an overall plan. OC Spray cannot be counted on to control an aggressive subject, but it can be counted on to in some degree hinder his ability to see, breath and cause him considerable pain. How that effects the attacker will depend on his sensitivity and mindset.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carry a small can in my jacket pocket (sometimes) and a standard "police size" can when I'm working (security). I realize that it doesn't have a perfect record but then again, neither do impact weapons, knives, or firearms. I look at sprays as a modern-day metsubishi, something to distract so I can get away, or so I can close and put them down.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
I carry a small can in my jacket pocket (sometimes) and a standard "police size" can when I'm working (security). I realize that it doesn't have a perfect record but then again, neither do impact weapons, knives, or firearms. I look at sprays as a modern-day metsubishi, something to distract so I can get away, or so I can close and put them down.
That's actually the right way to look at OC Spray, as a distraction tool.

Personally, i'm pretty resistant to OC Spray (I know from experience) so as an LEO I tend to use OC Spray as a grappling tool (which isn't the way it's recommended) because i'm not concerned so much with getting contaminated myself. I don't care how much I get on me, as long as I get some on the other guy. I do tend to have a residual effect from the OC after the confrontation is over, but I really don't mind. I don't recommend this to everyone.

Speaking of which, how many that carry OC Spray in here have ever been exposed to it?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I don't use it, and have never been exposed to it, I would imagine it is hard to attack someone if you can't see them. That being said, it really does nothing to the physical abilities of an attacker. I am guessing that if you sprayed it in the face of a pumped up attacker, who already had a hold of you, it probably wouldn't do you much good. Aside from maybe surprising them enough to let you get free and take off.

I know people that have been sprayed by it though, either because they have it for their job and were required to have been sprayed so that they know the effects, or on the other hand becaue they were on the wrong end of the law.

Everyone that I have talked to who has been sprayed has said that it sucks real bad, but that aside from being temporarily blinded, you could fight through the physical effects.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My friend retired from the police force, but mention this story to me. There was a concert and a fight started, by the time the police arrive, people were trying to stop the police from getting too close. He went up wind and open his (bear spray size can) OC and spray into the crowd. He said everyone started to leave quickly and the fights ended.(out door concert). Ended peacefully.

OC has it purpose and you are right! It is not a end all product, but has it's uses. ......Aloha

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently got picked up by a pd and am going through their academy. So, I've been carrying oc spray for the two months that I've been in it. I haven't been hit with it yet. Towards the end of the academy I have the pleasure of getting sprayed and gassed, on the same day. Joy. Most of the sworn LEO's in our dept say that they aren't that hindered by pepper spray any more. They also state that often times, suspects sprayed will react like they are being murdered, as much from anticipating pain as actual effects. I have been taught that pepper spray is not always effective, but it just might distract them long enough to assist them into a prone handcuffing position. If not, we can move right on up the ladder of force as necessary.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
redfang said:
I recently got picked up by a pd and am going through their academy. So, I've been carrying oc spray for the two months that I've been in it. I haven't been hit with it yet. Towards the end of the academy I have the pleasure of getting sprayed and gassed, on the same day. Joy. Most of the sworn LEO's in our dept say that they aren't that hindered by pepper spray any more. They also state that often times, suspects sprayed will react like they are being murdered, as much from anticipating pain as actual effects. I have been taught that pepper spray is not always effective, but it just might distract them long enough to assist them into a prone handcuffing position. If not, we can move right on up the ladder of force as necessary.
Hopefully your academy is one that does more than simply expose you to the OC Spray and then have you decontaminate. It is my most profound belief, as a law enforcement trainer in general, and an OC Spray instructor in particular, that any exposure to OC Spray by officers should be coupled with that officer having to perform the task of protecting himself by attacking the attacker and defending his gun. To simply expose a cadet to OC and then say "See, that works doesn't it" is counter-productive. A goal oriented mindset can fight through OC and continue to function. It is that mindset that should be taught to officers. If your academy is the kind that simply sprays you and walks you to the water fountain, at least do yourself the favor of attempting to fight through the effects and walk yourself to water fountain. Even just forcing yourself to open your eyes and walk around experiencing the effects, instead of immediately going for the water, will be valuable training experience. You'll come to understand the term "shutter effect" when it comes to your vision.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't really know what they do. But I do know that our instructors are all seasoned vets and make the training as close to reality based as possible. I get the impression from the instructors that they all care a great deal about the cadet's abilities to do their jobs once in the field. From this I have to assume that they will do more than a simple spray and decon. I'll find out for certain soon.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
redfang said:
I don't really know what they do. But I do know that our instructors are all seasoned vets and make the training as close to reality based as possible. I get the impression from the instructors that they all care a great deal about the cadet's abilities to do their jobs once in the field. From this I have to assume that they will do more than a simple spray and decon. I'll find out for certain soon.
If it's done right, it should be some memorable training (in more ways than one).

R

rmcrobertson

I'd be interested to know anybody's experience with this stuff and animals, since I always carry a can of Defender when I'm up in the mountains near my house on the off chance that I'll run into a dog, cat or bear--all of which has actually happened to people in the SoCal mountains.

I'm assuming that if I catch an animal in the face, it'll at least reconsider things a little...thoughts? I can't exactly schpritz my neighbors' dogs and cats to check...though considering the yapping monsters across the block...no, still can't do it.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Something I've been curious about: I've been told by someone in the National Guard that exposure to tear gas is a mandatory part of their training and the Army's. This person also told me that pepper spray will hardly bother someone who has been repeatedly exposed to tear gas, and that it becomes less effective as someone is exposed to pepper spray. Does anyone know, to what degree this is true?

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Something I've been curious about: I've been told by someone in the National Guard that exposure to tear gas is a mandatory part of their training and the Army's. This person also told me that pepper spray will hardly bother someone who has been repeatedly exposed to tear gas, and that it becomes less effective as someone is exposed to pepper spray. Does anyone know, to what degree this is true?
One of my officers is a former Marine. He said that they were exposed to tear gas every 6 months, and he became pretty used to it. This officer has an extremly adverse reaction to OC and says it's entirely different. I've been exposed to OC numerous times. I once got some residual tear gas exposure, but it wasn't to the level of the 'gas chamger'. It is a different experience.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
I'd be interested to know anybody's experience with this stuff and animals, since I always carry a can of Defender when I'm up in the mountains near my house on the off chance that I'll run into a dog, cat or bear--all of which has actually happened to people in the SoCal mountains.

I'm assuming that if I catch an animal in the face, it'll at least reconsider things a little...thoughts? I can't exactly schpritz my neighbors' dogs and cats to check...though considering the yapping monsters across the block...no, still can't do it.
Animals do not like OC spray any more than humans, it burns the eyes, the nose and makes it difficult to breath. Most animals will remove themselves from the area.

That having been said, experiments with trained police dogs has shown that OC Spray has far less effect on goal people AND animals. A police dog will fight through the OC Spray if it has a goal. The ability to fight through the spray actually increases with experience and success at doing it. A wild animal is actually more likely to flee than a trained dog, however, as wild animals don't have the same goal orientation. In the wild goal orientation isn't usually a survival skill.

If you do have to use the OC Spray on an animal who is going to attack you, my recommendation is to use the whole can and make sure that you saturate the eyes, nose and mouth. Keep spraying until the animal flees the area. The response you can expect from a dog is a sneezing like action, along with drawing back. If it's a particularly aggressive dog, he may seek to reengage if you don't continue spraying and overwhelm him. This is especially true among game bred or trained dogs. The average dog, however, will be several blocks away before you're able to spray more than one or two seconds.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Thought i'd drop a post and ask about folks experiences with OC Sprays, if you carry it, if you've ever used it (Civilian or Law Enforcement). I've got a pretty extensive background with OC, which i'll share, but first I want to hear anyone else's experiences with Pepper Sprays. Do you carry it, have you ever been exposed to it, what did you think, that sort of stuff.

I think OC is a great protection tool. It is a great non-lethal force method. I have been trained with it and have taught others. I have been sprayed with it as well.

It is true that it is not 100% effective. But, nothing is 100%, and at 70% effectiveness, you can't go wrong. Firearms, in the hands of cops and most people trying to defend themselves, are only going on less then 20% effectiveness. So at the very least, you may be able to create that window of escape with OC.

I am a big fan of OC as a non-lethal force tool.

:supcool:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also...on most animals OC will work well, from accounts I have heard.

However, if your going camping or in wilderness and would like to be more prepared, spend the 35-40 bucks and get a large sized Bear Spray. Bear Spray is basically OC but much, much stronger. It'll take out most animals and it will put out your average human for a week. DO NOT try to carry this stuff on the street, however. It is not only illegal (probably, at least it is in my state), but a bit excessive, IMHO.

Paul

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my experience, people wait until they are "rolling" with a person before they try to use OC. OC is great in LE use when you know somebody is going to resist and can hit em with the stuff to gain compliance. In civilian use its good for when you have the "radar" up and perceive somebody as being a threat. Once you are actually fighting though, the OC isnt going to cause the guy to jump off of you and go rolling around with his hands over his eyes. Better "fight preventer" than "fight stopper" IMO. Effectiveness measurement in OC is in regards to it having an effect on somebody. That "effect" doesnt necessarily mean the guy is going to stop attacking you...

(unless you are trying to stop other people from fighting...spraying the whole lot of em does help break things up. :) )

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Also...on most animals OC will work well, from accounts I have heard.

However, if your going camping or in wilderness and would like to be more prepared, spend the 35-40 bucks and get a large sized Bear Spray. Bear Spray is basically OC but much, much stronger. It'll take out most animals and it will put out your average human for a week. DO NOT try to carry this stuff on the street, however. It is not only illegal (probably, at least it is in my state), but a bit excessive, IMHO.

Paul
War more warning about bear country. Bear Guard and other bear specific OC products are excellent when sprayed directly on the bear and in his face. Many people mistakenly think that means it is bear repellent, so they spray it around their tents and camps. Ironically bears, while being repelled by direct spraying, are attracted to the scent of OC Spray. If you spray OC around your campsite, it will actually draw bears who view OC spray like cats view catnip. Again, use OC spray for directly defending against bear attacks, it is not, however, bear repellent. A few people have discovered this fact in the middle of the night with a bear rolling around the front of their tent where they sprayed OC earlier in the evening.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
In my experience, people wait until they are "rolling" with a person before they try to use OC. OC is great in LE use when you know somebody is going to resist and can hit em with the stuff to gain compliance. In civilian use its good for when you have the "radar" up and perceive somebody as being a threat. Once you are actually fighting though, the OC isnt going to cause the guy to jump off of you and go rolling around with his hands over his eyes. Better "fight preventer" than "fight stopper" IMO. Effectiveness measurement in OC is in regards to it having an effect on somebody. That "effect" doesnt necessarily mean the guy is going to stop attacking you...

(unless you are trying to stop other people from fighting...spraying the whole lot of em does help break things up. :) )
Good point. Waiting until you are actually in contact with someone will likely result in you contaminating yourself as well as the attacker. For my part, this isn't a problem, as residual OC contamination has little effect on me. I've used OC spray numerous times as a grappling tool when struggling with suspects. I usually don't mind how much OC Spray I get on me, as long as I get it on the other guy. That being said, however, I even warn my officers against this. Most people have an extremely adverse reaction to OC Spray, especially the first time they are exposed. You don't want to wait until you are struggling with someone to find out you shut down when exposed to OC Spray.

Latest Discussions