Obamaites, creepier and creepier...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Jessica Alba has pledged allegiance...to obama. Hmmmm...the pictures in this story, of cultists...er...obama supporters, writing on their hands and putting them over their hearts...I hope the "Dear Leader," is proud of them...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/09/20/Obama-cult-of-personality-iconography-semiotics

The same day that the Obama campaign decided to unleash their newest Obama flag, Jessica Alba, one of Obama’s Hollywood acolytes, issued a letter to Obama’s campaign followers urging them to pledge allegiance to Obama. Obama posted this picture on hiswebsite:
ABA49DE6F18044CC8CCF31568EBC472A.png

This is creepy.
This is the imagery that permeated the Democratic National Convention. Virtually the only shirts plainly visible were plastered with Obama’s image. Passersby stopped to take pictures with an enormous sand idol of Barack Obama:
35C0FBD2A6CB407A9AA3890577C95273.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd say that the most zealous believers of both sides demonstrate some cult-like behaviors. Sincere question here. How do you distinguish your zeal for the GOP from theirs, Bill? I can't tell the difference from the outside looking in.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I'm not writing on my hand and putting it over my heart for obama, or Romney, or any politician. I think politicians are pretty much greedy, corrupt individuals who are little more than mercenaries. Unfortunately, we have to pick one of them to be the president. I think of the two, Romney is the better man and would be a better President. I am a political partisan, sure, but I only support the republicans because they are the only viable option to vote out obama. Give me a libertarian with a chance and I might vote for them, especially if they show the spine that libertarians generally have which the republicans don't. I mean, the last time around, according to Wayne Allyn Root, the libertarians garnered half of a percent of the vote. Not much of a chance of winning the White House that time or this time.

I do think that the two major parties should be the Libertarian Party and the Republican party, that way at least fiscally, they would be fighting each other to be more responsible, with the libertarians edging out the republicans, for now. The social issues could then be fought out between the two. The democrat party should be the odd, unelectable, third party, at least in a rational world.

Besides, I have never pledged to be any politicians "servant."

Does anyone remember this pledge to be a "Servant" to obama the first time around...check out this video at the 3:55 mark where all these cultists...er...supporters, pledge to be "servants," to obama...

You have to say, this is whacky behavior...

Can you say..."We are Borg."

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To further answer your question, I am a political and cultural issue junkie, much like a sports junky who follows all the teams and all the stats of all the players. I find it fascinating. I think the stakes are obviously much greater for the country and the world, which makes it even more interesting.

A quick voting history...

I was 17 for the 1984 election and in basic training at the time. I voted for Dukakis against the "evil," C.I.A. Bush. I collected signatures with a buddy at chicago fest for Ross Perot, and would have voted for him till he quit. I then went on to vote for Bill Clinton the first time because he was a democrat and promised to cut taxes on the middle class. At this time I had started listening to Rush Limbaugh to see what the "other side," believed and was saying. I had heard about him and thought he was the radio version of Mort Downey Jr. Remember that guy? I was a perot supporter listening to republicans talk about their guy, Bush and how he violated his no new taxes pledge...and they didn't vote for him, they stayed home. That was pretty eye opening for me. They gave the election to clinton because their guy went back on his pledge. I voted for clinton after perot quit and turned against him when he broke his promise to cut taxes on the middle class. I suspected he did cheat on hillary but he was a politician after all. It wasn't until Paula Jones and the rest of the real accusations of sexual predation on underlings and women in trouble and the two rape allegations that I really turned against him. That and his ties to Loral space and Wang Jun and all the other corruption that came out. At that point, I started voting republican and have voted that way ever since. I would like to vote libertarian, but they currently can't win.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just look on as an interested bystander but, to me, Romney has little to offer. For example, the tapes of the past week have been pretty damaging and this is the type of press we are seeing over here.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...eys-economic-plan-win-then-do-nothing/262573/

None of my friends would ever accuse me of 'left leaning' but there is no way that guys like Romney will ever get the US out of its financial mess. There must be viable alternatives to Obama but who? Until the Republicans can find a half decent candidate, Obama is the only game in town. :asian:.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a lot to like about what Obama has done--the ACA esp.--so it's no surprise he brings out strong feelings in people.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The strongest canidates in the Republicans had already made the decision that it would too difficult to defeat Obama. If you saw the canidates that did show up, except for Romney, Huntsman, and ...sorry brain spasm, the Libertarian leaning gentleman, there really were not that many real choices. Too get the nomination, Romney had to reinvent himself as far right wing. Now he is caught between those committments he made, his inability to connect, and trying to swing back toward the center to get independant voters. That's a tall order for any man. Its causing a ton of problems in his campaign, which makes things worse. When a campaign does press releases that no, our canidate didn't mean what he said, it causes serious doubt in the voters of what he really stands for.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More like post#4 please, BillC, and less of the Breitbart lowest-common-denominator sillyness :thumbs up:. Very nice to see what you think on a subject and what's behind some of what you post up :nods:.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't liked a candidate for presidency for the last two elections.. They all suck royally. I dislike Obama and feel nothing at all for Romney. Neither candidate reflects my own personal political convictions.

It's interesting to me that people in Australia even think about American elections. We haven't had an inspired conservative candidate since Reagan.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's about the lesser of two turds at this point, they both suck. I agree with Instructor. The last person in office I liked was Slick Willy and that's because he was fascinating and magnetic in person.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I believe that a couple of things are true. It's mostly anecdotal opinion, but it works for me now.

First, I think that any objective person who did even casual research on the psychology of cults, the tactics of cult psychology and the common traits of cult like behavior would be alarmed. Both the extreme left and the extreme right exhibit many of these behaviors, although you're right, Bill in that they present differently depending upon the particular cult. While the extreme right doesn't seem to favor writing on their hands, for example, the right wing exhibits other cult like behaviors. For example, the right wing pushes a strong sense of us vs them mentality, which is a classic trait of a cult. The right wing endorses an "ends justify means" agenda. They use ridicule, shame and belittlement to dehumanize and devalue anyone outside their group. This OP is a perfect example of that.

Second, and this might be just blind optimism to keep me from giving up hope, is my belief that the most vocal and radical out there represent a vehement, zealous and vocal minority, and that most people in the USA remain reasonable and maintain perspective.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, Jessica Alba has pledged allegiance...to obama. Hmmmm...the pictures in this story, of cultists...er...obama supporters, writing on their hands and putting them over their hearts...I hope the "Dear Leader," is proud of them...

:lfao:

This one is out there even for you...

Talk about a cultist level of devotion

:lfao:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't liked a candidate for presidency for the last two elections.. They all suck royally. I dislike Obama and feel nothing at all for Romney. Neither candidate reflects my own personal political convictions.

It's interesting to me that people in Australia even think about American elections. We haven't had an inspired conservative candidate since Reagan.

well, the US president sneezes, the rest of the world gets the sniffles...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard, more than once, that anyone discussing politics had better never trash Reagan because "everybody" liked Reagan.

I lived in California and saw what Reagan did to that state and in my opinion, he kicked the country off in the very same direction. I remember the arbitrary crap with the hostages ... nothing but a flat-out insult to Carter for no purpose other than to make his foreign policy look crappy.

I haven't liked either Democratic nor Republican candidate enough to really make me want to vote for them since I've been old enough to vote - with two exceptions: Jerry Brown and Ralph Nader - purely because they both acted on corporate responsibility, reduced spending, created surplus and sought justice rather than power. Brown looks more to balance economic health, humanitarianism, business growth as well as personal protection rights, consumer fairness and, again, enforcement and responsibility. I had the opportunity to talk with him when he campaigned in the 90s. Much of the hippy-ness is mainly tied to his humanitarian acts, spiritual study and benevolence and humility. But he really does want to see a healthy business sector so long as it doesn't rob the people, break laws without prosecution, kill small business in court fees, and hires legal citizens.

I found this logical and necessary for success. Nader isn't as smart as Brown, but is closer to this balance than any other candidate I've seen.

It is not hard to see the emotional manipulation by both parties and I do honestly think one party is louder and nastier than the other ... not by much, tho.

Still waiting for massive campaign reform ....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Besides, I have never pledged to be any politicians "servant."

Does anyone remember this pledge to be a "Servant" to obama the first time around...check out this video at the 3:55 mark where all these cultists...er...supporters, pledge to be "servants," to obama...

You have to say, this is whacky behavior...

Can you say..."We are Borg."
Have to say, I finally took the 4 or so minutes to actually watch the video. I agree that the pledge to serve Barrack is a little odd, but overall, talk about much ado over nothing. 99% of that video are things that most of us would agree with, and the overall point of it was to find something about which you are passionate and advocate for it. In a way, the tea partiers, as an example, embody the spirit of this video.

People pledging to do things that largely involve taking personal responsibility and becoming more accountable and active within their local communities. In other words, things that most conservatives agree with. The call to action in this video isn't anything more than to mobilize, find something about which you are passionate and do something about it. It's 4 minutes of people pledging to do good things, and then 10 seconds at the end of them pledging to help the president.

Once again, I can see how this was spun, but it looks like more politics than anything else to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions