Obama to end Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does your head hurt from the overly tight tin-foil beenie?

and those mind reading 101 classes you took? get your money back dude

seriously. You are not smart enough to read my mind.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this one?

Attachments

• $bunny-pancake.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 121

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the original reasons for discrimination against homosexuals was that they were subject to blackmail if anyone found out about their sexual orientation. I'm glad that that is no longer a general concern.

I'm not in favor of social engineering via the military, but looking at the number of states that have passed gay marriage/civil union laws, and the number of companies offering domestic partner benefits, the point is, the military may now be falling behind society.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
looking at the number of states that have passed gay marriage/civil union laws,

everywhere else, every single time, it gets voted down

which i also think is crap. let them get married, let the poly's get married too. doesnt bother me

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
nothing works like a bunny witha pancake on it's head.

Do they have pancakes in england?

British pancakes are more like crepes, and served for dessert, or as part of a dinner, rather than breakfast.

They have pancakes similar to ours in other parts of Europe and Great Britain, they call them "griddle cakes" or some kind of scone, and I think they do have them for breakfast-I know that I did in Scotland, and they weren't bad, though they don't have maple syrup; they use jam.....

Bunnies, of course, are almost everywhere....:lfao:

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of people have the idea in this forum that not wanting openly gay people in the miltary is the same as not wanting racial minorities and the like in the military. I understand the arguement, but I think there is a difference. Homosexuality is a behavior, race is not. And while it could be argued that one doesn't choose his sexuality (Like any major public University's psychology department, thinking University of Washington for certain from personal knowledge) acting it out in a way that makes it clear you are a homosexual to everyone around you and offending people is definitely a choice. When in the military be quiet about your sexual orientation if its homosexual. It's a conservative organization, very macho, especially in branches like the Marine Corps. Just be quiet about it, not to hard to do I say.

OP
N

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of people have the idea in this forum that not wanting openly gay people in the miltary is the same as not wanting racial minorities and the like in the military. I understand the arguement, but I think there is a difference. Homosexuality is a behavior, race is not. And while it could be argued that one doesn't choose his sexuality (Like any major public University's psychology department, thinking University of Washington for certain from personal knowledge) acting it out in a way that makes it clear you are a homosexual to everyone around you and offending people is definitely a choice. When in the military be quiet about your sexual orientation if its homosexual. It's a conservative organization, very macho, especially in branches like the Marine Corps. Just be quiet about it, not to hard to do I say.

I think your heart is in the right place, but your view on homosexuality is not.

Not all homosexuals fit the common stereotypes we see in our media. Most certainly most homosexuals in the military, as well as any other field of study or work, don't act out on their sexual urges at work, because like the rest of humanity, they're decent human beings with respect for others.

Besides, there are some VERY macho gay males out there in the same respect that there are some VERY effeminate straight guys out there (think "metrosexual").

I think that to deny someone entrance to the military because of their homosexuality is wrong in the same way that denying someone entrance to the military because of their skin color is wrong. That's because that's a fundamental element as to who that person is. It's not a compulsive action or predatory nature that needs to be squashed; it's just that person.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is one WIDELY dispersed mammal

We didn't have rabbits in this country until the Normans brought them over after the Norman conquest. They were brought over and bred for food.
Griddle cakes are made by cooking on a griddle or flat pan similiar to a heavy frying pan on the top of a stove. The Scots will eat all sorts of things for breakfast, black pudding is one of the best!

It may be the history of our armed forces that enable it to absorb people of any type easily. The army was thought to be the scum of the earth until relatively recently. It wasn't a respectable thing to be in unless one was an officer. Until the late 1960s it was common for judges to give someone found guilty of a crime to be given the choice of prison or the army. The Navy is very old of course going way back to 900CE so there's little thats new to it, the RAF had women in from the very first day and has always been technical minded rather than discipline mad so it's a easy place to work if you are 'different', I know a chap, died recently, who was gay but had been an RAF pilot during the war and won the DFC. We owe him much. Did his fellow aircrew know he was gay? I don't know but do you think it would have mattered really if they had, life expectancy was 87 flying hours and priorities were sorted very quickly. It would have been a luxury that would have to wait for peacetime to worry whether fellow piolts fancied men or women, they'd be lucky if as many of them were only 19 or so if they ever found out what their sexuality was.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think your heart is in the right place, but your view on homosexuality is not.

Joab: My view of homosexuality is that it is a sin because the Bible clearly says it is. But were not a theocratic nation, however, the military is a very conservative institution, and those who are gay should be quiet about it.

Not all homosexuals fit the common stereotypes we see in our media. Most certainly most homosexuals in the military, as well as any other field of study or work, don't act out on their sexual urges at work, because like the rest of humanity, they're decent human beings with respect for others.

Joab: No they don't, but if there in the military they can be quiet about it. They should be quiet about it or kicked out.

Besides, there are some VERY macho gay males out there in the same respect that there are some VERY effeminate straight guys out there (think "metrosexual").

Joab: Likely true, but the gays should not act out their sexual preference in the military. The idea in the military is the eradication of the individual and the submission to the team. That is what boot camp tries to do. Be a team player and keep your homosexual like behavior in the closet, or any effeminate behavior from any male service member regardless of their sexual orientation.

I think that to deny someone entrance to the military because of their homosexuality is wrong in the same way that denying someone entrance to the military because of their skin color is wrong. That's because that's a fundamental element as to who that person is. It's not a compulsive action or predatory nature that needs to be squashed; it's just that person.

Joab: Again, the military is not an institution conducive to individuality. It is a place to conform and be a team player. The person may very well have a certain sexual orientation, but he can keep quiet about it. And he or she should if they are in the military.

Regarding race, in the marine corps everyone is the same color green. In the same way everyone should at least act straight.

OP
N

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand completely. The military is certainly not the place to be an individual.

What I'm trying to say is that homosexuals can and do "act right" in today's military.

However, don't military members go out and party like normal people? Fraternization is a common practice in the military (Just like college, but with uniforms). Airman1 can and will (due to alcohol/hormones/loneliness) hook up with Airman2. Does it really matter if they're both male? It's certainly okay if it's a straight couple. Would that fall into "acting right"?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's an understatement! Yes, in the macho, military enviroenment service members go out and party and fraternize and let loose with their heterosexual urges, no doubt about it. But I still think homosexuals in the military should be quiet about it. I think we will have to agree to disagree agreeably on this issue, have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions