O Soto Gari

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I teach this in a sequence of twelve progressive points.

1. Kumi Uchi: One hand high (right) lapel grab other hand (left) is low at oppisite elbow.

2. Step diagonal and forward with the left

3. Wide base of support with equal and low center of gravity

4. Three points of contact, two hands and leg that will displace

5. Push with the right pulling with the left

6. Displace with the right leg more like starting a motorcycle

7. Sink

8. Rotation Rotation Rotation

9. Stimulas, in this case, Boshiken (thumb strike) to the left side of uke's neck with your right

10. Kiai

11. Control distance to the floor

12. Effect timing to the floor

Just an opinion

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage
www.winmartialarts.com

OP
Keikai

Keikai

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
With the pull push action I usually twist on the elbow and roll the hand at the neck as well in order to unbalance the attacker to the point where they are unable to take their heels off the ground. This makes it impossible for them to regain their balance and step out of the throw.

With O Soto Gari we aim for the attacker to land in front of the defender at close to a right abgle to the defender, O Soto Otoshi where the attacker goes straight back and O Soto Guruma where we take both legs and they land beside the defender. How about yourselves?

YinYang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

[sarcasm] Thanks for posting the video of a martial artist in his prime physical condition [/sarcasim]

I honestly didnt know they made a size 23 black belt... So we learn new things each day!

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first learned the technique I learned it stiff legged. Later I learned it with a bend leg. Both work well depending on the set up

WesternCiv

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lots of ways to do it depending upon the situation and the way your teacher wants it done!

For training purposes we use more of a bent leg to the back of the knee - it's pretty much the softest and cleanest take down.

For a real life self defense application (on the street with shoes!) we are taught to aim lower - achilles area - with the back of the heel. As long as the balance is broken up top this will take the opponent down and hurt quite a bit!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
we are shown a variety of ways & each individual does it the best way that works for them.

jf

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me or was that O Soto Gari in the U-tube clip just ...... Sad? It looked more like a passive trip than a reap. Isn't the pivot point uke's hip? This should be a devastating throw, either with the jacket grip or with the forearm coming across the throat. When I first saw this demonstrated by Mr. Good I was shocked at what a violent throw it was, and promptly set out to learn it. What ever the dude in the vidy is doing it doesn't resemble the O Soto Gari I was taught.
lori

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I found a Vidy of real O Soto
This is how I was taught.
lori

Lbkickn

White Belt
Reaction score
We do Osoto gari
the version with a back kick and strike with a bent leg at the knee.

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found a Vidy of real O Soto
This is how I was taught.
lori

Yes, this is pretty much how I was taught, and how I teach. I teach it so you follow through though, not just leave your opponant stunned. I usually teach my students to reap hard, then drop the right knee into the mid-section and secure the right arm so you can twist it and turn the opponant onto their front with their arm up their back. It's usually one I recommend for restraint against aggressive opponants and soon calms them down. A good LE or security technique that doesn't leave much visual injury on the victim.

fightingpower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you do it with a bent leg its o soto Gake, the straight sweeping leg is O soto Gari. A very usefull technique, adopted by a number of styles!

Latest Discussions