NTSB Attempts To Dictate Cell Phone Ban

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link

A key federal safety agency called Tuesday for a widespread ban on cellphones in cars that would go beyond Connecticut's current law.

If enacted by the states, the landmark ban being promoted by the National Transportation Safety Board would prohibit drivers from usinghands-free devices and Bluetooth technology.

Connecticut currently allows the use of hands-free devices, but itpassed its cellphone ban in 2005 after seven years of often-bitter debates at the state Capitol. The measure was bottled up in the Senate for years before lawmakers finally passed the bill. Some lawmakers said that driving with a cellphone in your hand was just as dangerous as trying to drive while eating a slice of pizza. The pizza, though, was not illegal.

Don't these people have anything better to do? Sure, I can see having a fine against texting or talking without a handsfree device, but no phones at all...because they're too much of a distraction...come on. Whats next....banning talking to your passengers? Singing along with the radio?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dunno, California law currently states that it is illegal to use phones while driving, without a hands-free device, but I see people doing it all the time. It's one of the few things that makes me want to do violence on people. It's such a statement that "I don't give a **** about anybody else" and that's what peeves me about it. The law just gets ignored.

That doesn't really address what you are talking about, but it's my observation related to the topic.

Personally, I think people need to be a bit less well wired and connected. I go to my gym to train, and people there are yaking on the phone. I get especially peeved when they do so in the locker room, where it is specifically posted as not allowed. All phones today come with a camera as standard equipment, and I believe the real issue is making sure lockerroom photos don't end up on somebody's website somewhere. When I ask people to put the phone away, they act like I'm being unreasonable. Dumbshits.

that and it's just downright annoying that people can't seem to put the ****ing phone down for anything. If you just "gotta" take that call, then get the **** out of the gym and don't subject the rest of us to your self-important ********. Some of us go to the gym as a way of getting away from that crap.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dunno, California law currently states that it is illegal to use phones while driving, without a hands-free device, but I see people doing it all the time. It's one of the few things that makes me want to do violence on people. It's such a statement that "I don't give a **** about anybody else" and that's what peeves me about it. The law just gets ignored.

That doesn't really address what you are talking about, but it's my observation related to the topic.

Personally, I think people need to be a bit less well wired and connected. I go to my gym to train, and people there are yaking on the phone. I get especially peeved when they do so in the locker room, where it is specifically posted as not allowed. All phones today come with a camera as standard equipment, and I believe the real issue is making sure lockerroom photos don't end up on somebody's website somewhere. When I ask people to put the phone away, they act like I'm being unreasonable. Dumbshits.

that and it's just downright annoying that people can't seem to put the ****ing phone down for anything. If you just "gotta" take that call, then get the **** out of the gym and don't subject the rest of us to your self-important ********. Some of us go to the gym as a way of getting away from that crap.

Agreed! Here in CT, its illegal to use the phone unless you're using a handsfree device. Both of my SUVs have a bluetooth set up, so all my wife and I need to do is set our phones up, and we're good to go. :) Yes, I see people using the phone w.o the handsfree, all the time. And I also agree with those that can't seem to put the damn thing down while they're in line at the store, restaurant, etc.

So, that said, if you need to use it in the vehicle, at least use the bluetooth or something similar. Then again, its amazing how some people get so wrapped up, they lose focus. In other words, they can't multi task. I talk on the phone all the time when I'm driving, just like I talk with others that're in the vehicle with me, and I'm capable of paying attention to the main task...the road. IMO, whether they ban them or not, if people are that careless, a crash is going to happen regardless.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I used to HAVE to carry my phone, and answer, while working out. It sucked -- but it was part of my job. Now that I don't have to -- unless I'm using a feature like an interval timer, my phone stays in my locker. Some people do use their phones as MP3 players, or readers, as well... though I personally don't. I don't like being strung up with an MP3 player or something like that while I'm working out, but that's just my preference. I do wish people would limit or take phone conversations outside, though!

With regard to driving -- I don't think legislation is the effective way to go, unless every state is going to make it a primary offense. Even then, you have to make allowances for emergency calls, and you should define an emergency call effectively.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The CA Law exempts law enforcement. A fellow student is a LEO and frequently talks on the phone while on the laptop, and the radio while speeding to calls. But, if I use the phone with the radio off and at the speed limit, I am a danger?! These laws have more to do with ticket revenue than anything else, IMHO.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doesn't it drive you nuts, when you're in class, working out, and one of the parents phone's rings, and they start loudly chattering away?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The CA Law exempts law enforcement. A fellow student is a LEO and frequently talks on the phone while on the laptop, and the radio while speeding to calls. But, if I use the phone with the radio off and at the speed limit, I am a danger?! These laws have more to do with ticket revenue than anything else, IMHO.

You're wrong. There are plenty of laws that can be used to generate revenue, if that's what some jurisdiction wants to do. The cell phone laws are a sincere effort to combat a particularly pernicious form of distracted driving. But there's not really an easy solution... I think we've got a pretty good law here in Virginia. It essentially prohibits texting and reading or answering email while driving (not while legally parked) or to report an emergency. It exempts use of GPS devices. And it's a secondary violation, meaning that you have to be stopped for something else and essentially caught in the act. So, more or less, the texting actually has to be causing a problem.

But MD and DC have different laws, that prohibit using any phones other than a hands-free device. Like I said -- different laws in each state lead to a lot of confusion and chaos -- but I'm not a fan of laws that cannot really be expected to be obeyed or reasonably enforced. If someone gets away with it 8 times out of 10, then gets a ticket the 9th or 10th, they kind of figure the odds are in their favor. It doesn't stop the behavior; it just turns it into a game of "let's see if I can get away with it..."

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone gets away with it 8 times out of 10, then gets a ticket the 9th or 10th, they kind of figure the odds are in their favor. It doesn't stop the behavior; it just turns it into a game of "let's see if I can get away with it..."

ha! not always true! I used to j-walk daily on my way to work, at a place marked No Pedestrians, for over two years (many people do it at that location). Then I got a ticket from a motorcycle cop who was lying in wait for just such scofflaws as me. I got a ticket for almost $200. Now I don't j-walk anymore and I take the long way around.

That ticket was too much to even get one a year. Some of us do it until we get tagged, then we reconsider. I honestly didn't think the cops would actually give out a ticket for it.

I know, it wasn't really what you were getting at, but I thought I'd share.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I saw a stat that 3300 people die every year as a direct cause of cell phone use while driving. I can see passing a law to save lives. Sorry, your right to convenience is trumped by other's right to life, much like driving while under the influence is against the law. Certainly there are exceptions to be made, like LOEs or emergency services. It really isn't that difficult to pull over to talk on the phone, or **gasp* let it go to voice mail and return the call. When various experiments and studies show that cell phone usage while driving is as dangerous as drinking and driving, that says something. If more people used common sense, something like this wouldn't be neccessary, but as we all now, common sense just isn't that common.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I saw a stat that 3300 people die every year as a direct cause of cell phone use while driving. I can see passing a law to save lives. Sorry, your right to convenience is trumped by other's right to life, much like driving while under the influence is against the law. Certainly there are exceptions to be made, like LOEs or emergency services. It really isn't that difficult to pull over to talk on the phone, or **gasp* let it go to voice mail and return the call. When various experiments and studies show that cell phone usage while driving is as dangerous as drinking and driving, that says something. If more people used common sense, something like this wouldn't be neccessary, but as we all now, common sense just isn't that common.

To play devils advocate for a moment...we lose 4000-5000 motorcyclists per year on our roadways. That's an even larger number. Motorcyclists are 8x more likely to be involved in a fatality than their 4-wheeled counterparts. Why not start with a ban on motorcycles? Wouldn't that be a more effective way to save lives? Wouldn't that save more lives than banning cell phones? Doesn't saving lives trump one's choice of vehicle? If motorcycles are banned, then so would their registration and insurance. Any rebels who chose to ride after the can immediately be identified by the police. A ban on motorcycles would reduce ridership to near zero, pronto. However, a ban on cell phones would not necessarily drop cell phone use while driving to zero.

Does anyone truly believe a ban on cell phones will eliminate their use?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ban using cell phones. As long as you don't ban eating, drinking, shaving, putting on makeup, smoking, listening to the radio, using a nav system, or yelling at our kids we'll all still have plenty of things to concentrate on besides the road.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly! common sense should be used but like drink driving too many people think it doesn't apply to them, they can drive fine with a few pints inside them, they can drive perfectly well while texting on their mobiles or chatting to mates but the truth is ...they can't. They kill people, innocent people so while some may think it's taking your rights away, the rest of us think that it's saving lives which here it demonstrably is.

this is disturbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
To play devils advocate for a moment...we lose 4000-5000 motorcyclists per year on our roadways. That's an even larger number. Motorcyclists are 8x more likely to be involved in a fatality than their 4-wheeled counterparts. Why not start with a ban on motorcycles? Wouldn't that be a more effective way to save lives? Wouldn't that save more lives than banning cell phones? Doesn't saving lives trump one's choice of vehicle? If motorcycles are banned, then so would their registration and insurance. Any rebels who chose to ride after the can immediately be identified by the police. A ban on motorcycles would reduce ridership to near zero, pronto. However, a ban on cell phones would not necessarily drop cell phone use while driving to zero.

Does anyone truly believe a ban on cell phones will eliminate their use?

The difference being that most motorcycle fatalities are the person riding the motorcycle. You ride the motorcycle, you knowingly assume that risk. A majority of cell phone fatalities are not the drivers using the cell phone. It is inncoent people guilty of nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Banning cell phone use would no longer stop thier use than anti-drunk driving laws stop drunk driving. However, there would be set repurcussions if you are doing it. Eventually that would lower the incidents of it happening, lowering the death toll in the process.

Latest Discussions