Now I'm a Fan of Figure Skating

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not much of a sports fan, so I haven't followed the Winter Games in Vancouver that closely. One of the things I do like about sports and competition are those personal narratives that add meaning to an athlete's performance.

Canadian Olympic skater Joannie Rrochette's mother passed away suddenly of a heart attack on Sunday, just after her arrival in Vancouver to support her daughter. Rochette broke her personal best for points in competition last night, achieving third place in the opening round of the short program.

Here's the story...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...vers+emotional+performance/2606245/story.html

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heard about tha6t. and they were saying she wasnt sure if she would skate. I thought to myself, 'Girl you should skate. Skate for your mum' I guess she must have heard my telepathy :angel:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She just performed her free skate and....wow.

When she landed her final triple (salchow), I think everyone could hear her internally say "Yesss....."

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in her marks, but I'm on expert with the judging.

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rochette just got the bronze. Well done. A first medal in women's skating for Canada in some twenty years.

Carol, I'm not judge of this either. The gold and silver finalists were so off-the-hook good, it's hard place the others. What I noticed in Rochette's performance, compared to the other skaters, is sense of style that puts all the disparate elements together.

Anyhow, good on her.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Her Mom would have been proud.
:asian:

You know I just wrote those exact same words on my facebook before I visited here just now?

Who'da thunk it.....

anyway she really must have heard my telepathy

Our very brave, courageous young woman. :angel:

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our very brave, courageous young woman. :angel:
Alas, I fear she'll be tagged with dreary the title of "Canada's Sweetheart," completely overlooking the her guts and determination.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm glad she stuck with it and disappointed that I missed her performance.

Alas, I fear she'll be tagged with dreary the title of "Canada's Sweetheart," completely overlooking the her guts and determination.

The first google result for "Canada's Sweetheart"

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Olympics-...-takes-gold-Joannie-Rochette/story?id=9952365

Kim Yu-Na Takes Gold in Women's Figure Skating, Canada's Sweetheart Joannie Rochette Gets Bronze

But Joannie Rochette, who's now known as Canada's daughter and Vancouver's darling of the ice, turned in a valiant performance that snared the bronze medal.

Latest Discussions