Now I need to get started.

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, from my other thread, from your suggestions, I found a dojo a couple hrs away to start my Iaido.
Instructor said just bring yourself, loose clothes, he would have a Bokken for me to use and start with.
Was thinking would pants from from a Karate Gi and a sweat shirt sound good?

If so, I have a Black pair and this may sound stupid but, should I get a white pair due to the fact Black may have a meaning of higher proficiency or does it not matter in the Martial Arts.

Please don't ask where I have heard that from its just something in my head. LOL. I think I get that from my teen yrs of Karate training where I always had a white Gi and my instructors always had black pants with theirs.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Black is fine. Don’t worry about it.

We have people show up wearing whatever they want, jeans, sweat pants, T-Shirts. You’re just starting, no one thinks that you will know everything just yet.

The one thing you should always bring with you for iaido is knee pads. All the etiquette and a good chunk of the kata are done while in seiza, so use knee pads!!

Good luck.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The one thing you should always bring with you for iaido is knee pads. All the etiquette and a good chunk of the kata are done while in seiza, so use knee pads!!

Oh hell yes. I use those "Volt" (read: cheap) volleyball kneepads. They work fine.

Best regards,

-Mark

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good advice from the other posters too, when you get there, look around...see what everybody else is wearing. Some clubs can get pretty militant about everyone wearing the exact same outfit. Others have a much looser application of custom. Iaido uniforms can get costly as the hakama and jacket tend to be special order items, vs. karate style uniforms. For an initial investment this maybe cost prohibitive for some. I came to Iaido from Aikido so already had everything I needed. Essentially...when in Rome...

And yes, if you are training on hardwood floors, Knee pads are a must, fine line between being hard and stupid.

best in training.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to hold off on the knee pads and speak with the instructor first. My iaido instructor was against them, and told us if we used them, not to let him see them. Enjoy your iaido. It can be a lot of fun and it is a great way to meditate without having to contort yourself into a pretzel shape. I haven't seen your other post, what style of Iaido are you going to be studying?

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido

I believe on their web page it did mention knee pads.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, bring knee pads with you. In almost 13 years I have yet to meet anyone, from anywhere, who did not use knee pads.

Watch and ask questions. You'll find out very quickly if this is the place for you. If you do not feel comfortable, move onto the next one on your list.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You might want to hold off on the knee pads and speak with the instructor first. My iaido instructor was against them, and told us if we used them, not to let him see them. Enjoy your iaido. It can be a lot of fun and it is a great way to meditate without having to contort yourself into a pretzel shape. I haven't seen your other post, what style of Iaido are you going to be studying?

I’m just curious, but in all your others posts elsewhere you never mention training in iaido, yet know in your profile, it now lists iai as you primary art.

Cool we’re now up to about 7 of us who practice JSA!!

If you don’t mind I always have questions when I meet someone new who does iai, it’s such a small group of us, we all tend to know one another. What school do you practice? Where do you practice? Who is your sensei?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say I used to practice Mugai Ryu Iaido with Ken Pitchford from the Chicago Japanese Culture center. I practised with him for 6 years and I achieved the rank of sandan in the art. Pitchford Sensei was strictly against wearing knee pads, which he picked up training in Japan. There was a funny incident. Nakatane Sensei, the Soke of our Mugai ryu Branch came in with the head of MJER, I forget the gentlemans name now. We were all there, without knee pads on the tile floor of the Chicago Park district building when the Sensei of the MJER was demonstrating the Kata of MJER. In the middle of the demonstration, he adjusted his knee pads under his hakama. Well, it was funny to me at the time. I currently train in DTS kali. Mugai Ryu is a great style of iaido, and if you ever have a chance to do it you should. The kata are very direct. Nakatane Sensei said that Mugai Ryu was blue collar iaido because of its directness. You can also get a hold of Ken Pitchford Sensei. He trained in Japan for twenty years doing Mugai RYu Iaido and Haga School Kendo. His first iaido instructor was Dr. Gordon Warner. He has a lot of knowledge and really knew his iai.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep, I’ve heard of him, he knows his stuff.

I’ve practiced Mugai Ryu before and I’ll say the same thing here I’ve said a dozen times before…it’s all iaido. All iai is blue collar if you will, you go out and kill your opponents before they kill you. None of the flashy stuff at all.

Name the top iai sensei in MJER, MSR and ZNKR and I’ve probably had the privilege of practicing with them. Same goes for Niten and Jodo. EVERONE who goes down onto their knees uses knee pads. They all recognize that iaido is a hobby and not using knees pads will damage your knees.

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Picked up these knee pads they recommended on the site. Its coming up in a in a couple weeks, can't wait. Joe

ASIC Wrestling Lycra Kneepads

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Joe,
Another thing that you should make sure and bring to your practice is an empty cup. Don't think you know what is meant, don't try to interpret. I've had a lot of people that like to question and ask for the reasons behind what they're shown in their first class. It will make your beginning in iaido much easier if you simply try your best to do exactly what you're asked. The answers to most of the questions you'll have in your first few classes will become evident on their own after just a little while.
Good luck! Hope you end up enjoying it as much as I have!

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Joe,
Another thing that you should make sure and bring to your practice is an empty cup. Don't think you know what is meant, don't try to interpret. I've had a lot of people that like to question and ask for the reasons behind what they're shown in their first class. It will make your beginning in iaido much easier if you simply try your best to do exactly what you're asked. The answers to most of the questions you'll have in your first few classes will become evident on their own after just a little while.
Good luck! Hope you end up enjoying it as much as I have!

I think I know what you mean. Go in with nothing and fill your cup with knowledge there.

Or, they don't let you take bathroom breaks.....:xtrmshock

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or, they don't let you take bathroom breaks.....:xtrmshock
Which would get really rough if you go for beer after practice!

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which would get really rough if you go for beer after practice!

Taking the Misses with me to Boston, she will visit our son while I am at the dojo and of course, dinner that night. It works out well for me. I work PT at a Marriott Hotel so, room rates rock.
Looking forward to the whole weekend.

Latest Discussions