Not quite quitting part II

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I continue to go to tkd class. However my appearance is minimal. I help the kid with their chamber and hip rotation. But I only do Il - Sa Jang. I don't really help with the ITF hyungs, too much hard kicking for me.

However I am still there to help. I also do a lot of hand breaking. I don't want to lose what I learned. However, I am stagnate and will not try and belt up.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good on you, Matt! I'm sure the help is appreciated & it never hurts to work on your flexibility, too.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Iceman too - you can only do what you can do, and I'm sure that whatever you do is appreciated.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt I am personally glad you are hanging in and doing what you can, the whole TKD world needs to learn from you about being in there got the love of the art. You are a true instructor and wouls gladly be apart of any class you was doing, this is the true TKD spirit. Thank you for showing us the way.:asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite right, ladies and gentlemen. Like Kacey said, doing what you can and knowing your limits is a fundamental part of being a martial artist.

Setting such an example means a great deal to students, I can attest to that from personal experience wherein one of my iaido sensei (now sadly departed) would teach us whilst seated in a chair.

He was a kindly looking old man who used to walk with two crutches and you still wouldn't have liked to mess with him. My missus used to affectionately call him Sensei Yoda :).

I learned a great deal from him about the dignity of a swordsman and how you work to overcome as best you can the obstacles that are placed in your way. He showed me that mental strength and projection of 'prescence' are just as much a part of martial arts as double-spinning- back-flip-kicks - something that YouTuber's would do well to remember.

So, Matt, keep on keeping on (a lovely phrase I think). Those who learn from you are learning a valuable lesson indeed.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Matt keep up the good work and I personally hope that more people learn from your commitment!
icon14.gif