Non-Affiliated Schools

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO it may also depend on the affiliation that the school has. There are new groups starting up every day and with no central group to oversee them there will surely be more.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe explore a parallel course - what about the "all inclusive" organizations? As opposed to say a TKD organization focused on its one style and well recognized, there are those large organizations that seem to serve no purpose other than to exist so others can say they belong to an organization. Could someone correct me if I'm wrong and explain the benifits of this? I'm genuinely curious about it and I'd like to know how the MA community feels about it as a whole.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe explore a parallel course - what about the "all inclusive" organizations? As opposed to say a TKD organization focused on its one style and well recognized, there are those large organizations that seem to serve no purpose other than to exist so others can say they belong to an organization. Could someone correct me if I'm wrong and explain the benifits of this? I'm genuinely curious about it and I'd like to know how the MA community feels about it as a whole.

I belong to one of those organizations. I have no rank from them just membership. I feel it gives me a large community of different arts and practitioners to draw knowledge from. Seminars and camps are available to me through the org. that I may never have the opportunity to go to otherwise.

Like any large org. there are probably some certificate collectors in it

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like it better. I can go to any seminars I like. I can modify my material as I like (in fact my instructor encourages me to do so). We have a strong enough family at our school and I do not feel I need more than that. I have belonged to a few organizations in the past, but no longer feel it is needed.

But I will agree in some cases it can be a bad thing. I think it is a school by school situation.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you both for the information. A seminar system based through an open organization actually sounds fantastic to me. What a huge benefit.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shamless plug
A seminar system based through an open organization actually sounds fantastic to me. What a huge benefit.
thats one of the reasons for the Martialtalk meet and great every year

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
shamless plug

thats one of the reasons for the Martialtalk meet and great every year

and if I can ever coordinate a trip up that way you can bet I'll be there too. :)

EDIT: you know - it just occoured to me that I didn't explain why this mattered to me, so in the intrest...yadda yadda yadda...

I'm opening a school soon (next year) - just me - and there is no way I will be associated with the American Bando Association. There is no way it would work politically or ethically on my part so I have been wondering about the benefits of attaching myself to some sort of organization.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still, we need to clear up the types of oganaizations there are out there.
There seems to be three main type.
One is the type where the org is very involved in the day to day operations of the individual school. They require the schools to use certain standards and curriculums and are sticklers for fees for their services.
Second is the type that offers products (like patches and certificates), advice/info, and opportunity to network.
Third would be the type that is a name to associate yourself with, but offers nothing of substance.

To be honest, there are good and bad associated with each of those.

AoG

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Still, we need to clear up the types of oganaizations there are out there.
There seems to be three main type.
One is the type where the org is very involved in the day to day operations of the individual school. They require the schools to use certain standards and curriculums and are sticklers for fees for their services.
Second is the type that offers products (like patches and certificates), advice/info, and opportunity to network.
Third would be the type that is a name to associate yourself with, but offers nothing of substance.

To be honest, there are good and bad associated with each of those.

AoG

OK this is real food for thought. Do you perchance have examples of these three types of organizations? And do these three types exist in style specific AND open type orgs. or are you saying that open orgs have no real teaching standards?

Thanks for the knowledge.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK this is real food for thought. Do you perchance have examples of these three types of organizations? And do these three types exist in style specific AND open type orgs. or are you saying that open orgs have no real teaching standards?

Thanks for the knowledge.

An org that is involved in the requirements and promotions in a school would be the WTF and other big tkd associations. Now, I have never been a part of that org (I am not a tkd guy), but they seem to be pretty strict in what members schools should be teaching.

An org that offers patches, information, teaching suggestions, and networking, but does not have any input in curriculum is the Karate For Christ International (www.karateforchrist.com) I am using them as an example since I am a member.

Now, as for ones that offer a name and little to nothing more, there are hundreds. Google "martial arts associations" and you will come up countless results. Go through those and you will find hundreds that require a yearly fee, then don't offer anything past the name. I am not putting them down, however. It is tempting to pay an org $50 a year to use their name to make your school look more applealing to potentionial students. So in that way, they are a good thing.

Here, however is an eBay listing for membership into one: United Kingdom Martial Arts Association:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Martial-Arts-Bl...yZ101711QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AoG

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, unaffiliated organizations are that way because the Instructor quit or was kicked out for some reason. As some have said, usually due to money or ego. If you are not affiliated with any organization, there tends to be little to no oversight regarding what is taught, where the money goes, credentials of the Instructors and black belts etc. The organizations I have seen that are unaffiliated bear this out.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen good and bad both with it. Personally I have affiliated my system with both PKC and USKA because of the ethics and what they are doing to preserve traditional karate.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets get into a practical discussion for a sec.

If I start a school that teaches as it's core curriculum ABA style Bando, but do not wish to belong to that organization, what are my options? I'm talking specifics here - actual names of respected organizations that could fold my school into a protective, mutually beneficial umbrella.

Would there be a reason to do this other than peace of mind for beginner / prospective students? THere has been mention of seminars etc. through the organizations - a huge plus. What organization has a good history of such things?

How do you know that organization is good? Experience, word of mouth, etc.

Thanks for your time

Trad

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, unaffiliated organizations are that way because the Instructor quit or was kicked out for some reason. As some have said, usually due to money or ego. If you are not affiliated with any organization, there tends to be little to no oversight regarding what is taught, where the money goes, credentials of the Instructors and black belts etc. The organizations I have seen that are unaffiliated bear this out.

I have to disagree with this generalization. I come from a lone line of schools, each of which has no affiliations, except to eacother.
My teacher's school is not part of an org. His teacher is not part of an org. His teacher is part of a loose org. His teacher created that loose org. His teacher was Ed Parker.

These are very good schools that I have just mentioned.

It all comes down to the individual school and teacher.

AoG

Latest Discussions