No Training ... got laid off. Help!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. If she gets her 4th dan (which I know she will), she can test me AND get my kukki-cert (under KKW rules ... if I choose to do so). The old instructor doesn't even have to know. Without her 4th dan, she can still test me (but she can't get the cert for me ... or order it, that is).

We (or her) can still make it happen "under ground" ;)

It will happen, Laurie—I'll bet anything. It's a nice wrinkle that once she has her 4th, the whole transaction can be kept under the counter, so to speak. It's a little bit of hike to September, but not all that long...

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It will happen, Laurie—I'll bet anything. It's a nice wrinkle that once she has her 4th, the whole transaction can be kept under the counter, so to speak. It's a little bit of hike to September, but not all that long...

Yea, it is a hike until sept, but I'm in no rush. I still have a lot of work to do. I've been out of training (serious regular training) since June. So, I'll just work hard and have fun with it :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea, it is a hike until sept, but I'm in no rush. I still have a lot of work to do. I've been out of training (serious regular training) since June. So, I'll just work hard and have fun with it :)

icon14.gif
Very good way to look at it... and after all that anticipation, the accomplishment will be that much sweeter, probably. Much better, in a way, than being in the position of having an upcoming test that you just don't feel you can possibly get ready in time for, even though your instructor feels you're ready...

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
icon14.gif
Very good way to look at it... and after all that anticipation, the accomplishment will be that much sweeter, probably. Much better, in a way, than being in the position of having an upcoming test that you just don't feel you can possibly get ready in time for, even though your instructor feels you're ready...

I agree. I was kinda forced into my first 1st gup test. I knew I wasn't ready. I failed .... duurrrr I knew that. The second time, the feeling was just there and I worked my tail off. I passed.

But I know with my good friend, she will watch me every class. She won't really "test me." When she thinks I'm ready, I'll get my BB. Her hubby is my Jujitsu instructor (5th dan) and his instructor and hers (she's a 1st dan in jujitsu) did that. And they both have been through that route. She will just hand me my belt. Not without hard work, though. But unlike jujitsu, She needs her 4th dan to do that (not just testing, but getting the KKW cert).

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
K-Kid '75, from what I've read, it seems that you've really had a hard struggle in your martial arts journey, but you've shown your determination and perserverence. Really that's what it's all about. You're an inspiration to those lower ranking students you're helping to train I'm sure. I went through a similar experience some years ago when I was a 1st gup on the verge of going for my 1st BB. My Sabumnim let me help out at our dojang in exchange for not not charging me tuition until I got back on my feet and found a steady job in my industry. He was really cool about that, and I'm indebted to him, otherwise I would have had to quit my formal training. In the end it has worked out for me, and it will for you too.

Keep hanging tough and good luck to you. You'll get your 1st dan soon enough.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Cali. Long time no chat, bud. Nice to see you.

Thanks so much. My TSD instructor did that for me. I lost my job and he let me clean the dojang to pay for tuition. I was so thanksful that after I got a job, I kept cleaning for him.

Yep, it's been a tough road in TKD this last year, but I'm getting through it. Thanks to the MT crew for all your support. All the good advice helped.

Latest Discussions