No Training ... got laid off. Help!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

Well, this is the situation for me. I got laid off from my job. I can't afford to train at the dojang. What do I do? I can train on my own, but I'm new at the ITF TKD style, eventhough I have been training a few years (6 years). I don't wanna stop, but I can't afford training ... this sucks.

Have you guys been in this situation? What did you do? Or delt with it?

Please help.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You would be surprised at what you can afford. I would check the community education programs in your area. When I was a teenager, I took judo for next to nothing...I can't imagine that kind of thing is extant in your area.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Talk to your instructor. Some instructors will be willing to work with you about payment; some won't. Also, some facilities (especially YMCAs and community recreation centers) are less expensive to begin with, and some also provide scholarships based on income. But if you don't ask, you'll never know.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid please talk to your instructor maybe he or she will let you clean the dojang a couple of times a week for training most will especially since you was laid off.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently had to take some time off, although it wasn't for financial reasons. I didn't have a lot of time, but I tried to work on the basics, some conditioning, and stretching. Eventually my situation got so hectic, that I didn't have time for that.

The others had good suggestions about talking to your instructor and looking into different programs. I know my local community center, YMCA, and community college all have programs. They don't might as often as a regular MA school, but they are considerably cheaper.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hiya all.

Well, this is the situation for me. I got laid off from my job. I can't afford to train at the dojang. What do I do? I can train on my own, but I'm new at the ITF TKD style, eventhough I have been training a few years (6 years). I don't wanna stop, but I can't afford training ... this sucks.

Have you guys been in this situation? What did you do? Or delt with it?

Please help.

Hi Karatekid, this won't do at all... you're 1st gup, so close to your dan rank, there must be some way. Most teachers---and an MA instructor who's worth anything is a teacher first and foremost---hate for a student who obviously has the potential to success to not be successful for some stupid reason beyond their control. So do what the previous posters have advised and talk to your instructor---I know that, in his or her position, I'd go well out of my way to make it possible for someone as far along as you to take her dan test. And the advice about rec centers is good too---check these out. My sabumnim is one of the best TKD instructors in the midwest, and I came across him in a rec center program which he was doing for free---well, I guess the city budget was paying him something, but for his students, no cost at all. There must be something like that in Rochester... anyway, we're all rooting for you and hope you'll soon be on track with your training and ready to test for The Big BB...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Karatekid, this won't do at all... you're 1st gup, so close to your dan rank, there must be some way. Most teachers---and an MA instructor who's worth anything is a teacher first and foremost---hate for a student who obviously has the potential to success to not be successful for some stupid reason beyond their control. So do what the previous posters have advised and talk to your instructor---I know that, in his or her position, I'd go well out of my way to make it possible for someone as far along as you to take her dan test. And the advice about rec centers is good too---check these out. My sabumnim is one of the best TKD instructors in the midwest, and I came across him in a rec center program which he was doing for free---well, I guess the city budget was paying him something, but for his students, no cost at all. There must be something like that in Rochester... anyway, we're all rooting for you and hope you'll soon be on track with your training and ready to test for The Big BB...

Ditto all the other posters - talk to your instructor. See if you can work something out.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with these guys, Laurie. Talk to your instructor, I'm sure they will be able to help you in some way.

I'll keep you in my prayers for this to be a temporary situation.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Totally agree Laurie with what others have said-your instructor may very well accomodate your financial situation in order to keep a dedicated student.

These are difficult economic times for many people and if you are able to assist around the dojang (cleaning/office work/teaching, etc.), that may be sufficient "tuition" for your instructor.

Good Luck!

Miles

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
For sure talk to your instructor. Every one I've ever trained under would work out something if I had a bit of a hard month or so. My brother has his own school and I know for a fact he does this a lot. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with everyone who said talk to your instructor. If you've been training with him/her for any length of time and they know you are a dedicated student, I'm sure something could be worked out.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cannot add anything..The best answers have already been given.....Read and Heed..

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
As much as everyone loves their training and benefits from it, it is a luxury. It is better to immediately take care of your necessary needs (shelter, food, transportation) by finding a financial means (employment) before worrying about formal training.

After 6 years of training you should have enough knowledge to continue training on your own until you are employed. Put things in perspective.

R. McLain

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
All have been good answers. However, I would add that doing poomse/one step sparring/basics and continue with conditioning no matter what.

Afterall, if you don't use it you will lose it and that is the absolute worst thing you could do.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Afterall, if you don't use it you will lose it and that is the absolute worst thing you could do.

Especially because, if I'm remembering things right, karatekid has already been through some rough patches in her training a year or so back(?). It just seems such a waste to get so far along and then get hung up.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone here has said to talk to the instructor. You should also talk to the students and assistant instructors and try to build a workout group.

Also, go to www.meetup.com and find a workout group in your area.

Karatekid, what rank/age are you?

AoG

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
First things first. Stop and take a deep breath. Worrying is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't take you anywhere. You have been training to long to let this hiccup stop your training. Mnay masters have been through the same situation and they came out good in the end. You need money for the here and now. Try checking with a temp agency to see if you have a place to start working and making some kind of money. It may not be the best, but it is something. Next, get out there and start applying for jobs everywhere you can. You never know what might come up. In the meantime keep your skills sharp by training on your own. You may even be able to convince an assitant instructor to help your learning. They will get valuable teaching experience from this, so sell them on it. What industry are you in? Somebody on here might be able to help you out.

No retreat, no surrender.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As much as everyone loves their training and benefits from it, it is a luxury. It is better to immediately take care of your necessary needs (shelter, food, transportation) by finding a financial means (employment) before worrying about formal training.

After 6 years of training you should have enough knowledge to continue training on your own until you are employed. Put things in perspective.

R. McLain

Good point, sir. I'll deal with the necessary needs first, and train at home for now until I get a job.

All have been good answers. However, I would add that doing poomse/one step sparring/basics and continue with conditioning no matter what.

Also a good point. See above answer.

Especially because, if I'm remembering things right, karatekid has already been through some rough patches in her training a year or so back(?). It just seems such a waste to get so far along and then get hung up.

Yes, through out my training I have. But I keep plugging along somehow. Things work out somehow.

Everyone here has said to talk to the instructor. You should also talk to the students and assistant instructors and try to build a workout group.

Also, go to www.meetup.com and find a workout group in your area.

Karatekid, what rank/age are you?

AoG

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Anyways, I am 31, and I am a 1st gup TKD.

First things first. Stop and take a deep breath. Worrying is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't take you anywhere. You have been training to long to let this hiccup stop your training. Mnay masters have been through the same situation and they came out good in the end. You need money for the here and now. Try checking with a temp agency to see if you have a place to start working and making some kind of money. It may not be the best, but it is something. Next, get out there and start applying for jobs everywhere you can. You never know what might come up. In the meantime keep your skills sharp by training on your own. You may even be able to convince an assitant instructor to help your learning. They will get valuable teaching experience from this, so sell them on it. What industry are you in? Somebody on here might be able to help you out.

No retreat, no surrender.

That's the problem, searcher. It was a temp agency I was working for. They bounce me around a lot, I get laid off, they find me a new gig, and get laid off, ect. But your right. I should apply everywhere out right (not through an agency) and train at home. But if they do find me something again, cool. But I will still look on my own.

And as far as talking to my instructor, I emailed him, and explained my situation. I'll let you know what he says. If not, I'll teleport myself to Terry's dojang hehehehehehe. Thanks so much for your advice all. MT folks rock ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as far as talking to my instructor, I emailed him, and explained my situation. I'll let you know what he says. If not, I'll teleport myself to Terry's dojang hehehehehehe.

You've got the right attitude, karatekid. This too shall pass. Best of luck and please do keep us posted on how it turns out with your instructor, yes?