No Strength!!!! (or "Stop Sucking!!!")

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time of it !!! During the last year or so with my training, I have been using body strength in my taijutsu to make up for suck-*** body dynamic and movement/kukan. As a nidan in BBT/N, i would like to at least look like I'm not trying to embarass myself when called upon to demo. Also, having B/GJJ in my backgroung dosen't sem to help the fact that lately I've been moving like a pregnant yak. On crack.
My Shidoshi(s) tell me to "keep training" and "ride it out", but (with due love/respect to them), I'm starting to get real antsy, as warriors often operate in less-than-ideal situations (i.e. when injured, when tired, inclimate weather, when being pursued, having to take out an attacker, etc.).
As rank means almost nothing to me, I am not ashamed to say that there are times when I feel as though I don't know what the hell I'm doing, and that I need help. Any (serious) advise would be appreciated.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Slow down, relax and train. Just do not worry about it and try to be fluid, smooth and relaxed in your movement.
icon6.gif

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
It looks to me like you need to go back about a year and figure out what changed for you to start doing things differently.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you spend more time with your instructor and dedicate your schedule to more time for structured practice?

dumblucky

White Belt
Reaction score
K

For what its worth, I empathize. You sound as frustrated as I do when I’m pressing. I don’t know if taking some time off would help or not but there’s nothing wrong with a mental health day or two.

Otherwise, when I’ve run into a bad patch, I’ve always found it helpful to ramp up my solo training and getting back to basics; stretch, practicing moving through low kamae, sanshin, punching/kicking.

I’ve also found that it’s better for me to hit reasonable goals. If I say I’m going to do solo training five times a week and only hit two, the danger is that it’ll put me in a deeper mental hole. Lately, I’ve been lucky in that there is a gym across from my work and I can usually grab time during lunch or right after work. (Notionally, if I aim for 4-5 days and actually get to 3-4, I feel I’m doing all right. If I miss a day, I don’t try to make it up later. I just let it go). I have better luck doing a bit everyday but some people I train with prefer 2 long sessions a week.

Also, and this is my experience only, when I’m pressing I’m usually better off going through things slowly. When stretching, I make sure I hold the stretches for a slow count of thirty. When moving through kamae, it's a minimum count of 50. (Just pick three at a time) For sanshin, a ten count at the extreme ends of the movement and an eight count in the transition. When punching or kicking, I just work on one strike at a time (I’m sure you know we have more than the lunge punch). Throw 100 right, 100 left and repeat. When your form starts to break down stop of take a rest.

Your body will make specific adjustments to this type of training so if you fall into the habit of consistent solo training, you’ll have to change things up periodically. However, for me, slow training is usually pretty good at clearing out the cobwebs. Usually (after a couple weeks), I figure out that I’m too tense in the upper body and rediscover the feeling of moving from the point an inch or two under the belly button. I suspect leg strength has a lot to do with it.

Some other points (sorry if this is long winded, I’m almost done).

• If you do try this, work up to things. There have been posters in other boards that talk about throwing 1000 punches a day. While I agree with the concept, it takes time to build up to it. The first time I actually tried something like this, I did eight sanshin on a slow count before I had to stop to avoid the embarrassment of falling down.
• This type of training shouldn’t take away from dojo training. If you find yourself missing dojo training for solo training, re-evaluate. Solo training should make dojo training better/easier/more accessible. It shouldn’t replace it.
• Doing things slowly, can expose a lot of flaws in your movement. Make sure you are running questions past your teacher so you don't get into bad habits. For me, this was particularly true of punching.
• On the plus side, it can give you a good platform for asking specific, technical questions of your instructor.
• On a related note, pay attention to things you feel need work. I think part of training is identifying your own weak points and then working on them.

Finally, if you are still cross training, things change some. If you are still concentrating on the Bujinkan but keen on cross traing, I’d recommend doing at least 15- 20 min of sanshin or kamae work after every cross training session to keep the Bujinkan movements fresh in your system.

I hope that helps. And if anybody has any solo training ideas, I'd like to hear them.

-al

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In any style, we all have times when it seems like the principles and dynamics we've worked on are just "clicking", and we can do no wrong.

Unfortunately... in any style, we also hit times when NOTHING we do is right. It's normal, and it's incredibly frustrating. Your teachers have given you the best advice they can; shut up, keep training, and keep the ideal in mind. Eventually, you'll get through this phase.

Personally, I've often found that the struggling period amounts to my body/mind integrating some new element that, after awhile, leads to a big leap in skill or ability. So there is light at the end of the tunnel! (But, dagnabbit, it's a dark tunnel sometimes!)

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Spend more time with each technique.

I hear you on this one, as my technique can always benefit from some additional to detail. But when your NOT used to spending too much time one technique (per Soke's teaching style) , and later down the road you see this same technique, but presented with/as henka, the whole thing becomes one huge discombobulated mess, as the root technique hasen't even been firlmly grasped yet. Fustrating !!!!!

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can you spend more time with your instructor and dedicate your schedule to more time for structured practice?

Hey Carol.
I think that if i hope to see improvement, i guess that i just have to "Ninja Up" and seek that extra training time/attention. It's funny because i was reading Ben's Farwelle thread, and what he had to say about training with Nagato-Sensei. And to a minute extent, I can relate. I dont know WHY "my foot is supposed to be there", but Shidoshi would know better than me. So time needs to be spent training and reflecting as well. Frustrating!!!!

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Slow down, relax and train. Just do not worry about it and try to be fluid, smooth and relaxed in your movement.
icon6.gif
Bri-guy !

That is one of the BIGGEST Problem that I have. Slowing down and relaxing. I have a habit of, and been accused of " playing hot" (running hot chi during training). And, much to my chagrine, this has left me with more than a few slightly injured uke in my wake. an when not "playing hot", the "muscle" comes out in my Taijutsu, and Shidoshi is constantly reminding me to "slow down" and "take it easy". I don't do this to be an a**hole, its just that it seems that i'm trying to "force the technique to work to suit my "body style" (I say in all honesty and humility that i am one of the most, if not THE most "unique" person in Bujinkan, and therefor in Ninja-dome. If you saw me, you'd understand. Im a first of sorts. LOL!!!!!!!!), and that if i don't grasp this NOW, that I'll "lose" it, even though i know that i will see it again later down the road. I don't know, Brian. It just seems to build on each session, and I have a hard time "letting go". Frusrating!!!!!!

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It looks to me like you need to go back about a year and figure out what changed for you to start doing things differently.

Hey Tigg.

Believe me, I'm STILL trying to figure this one out, as earlier in my training, I used to almost NEVER struggle with this. But since shodan, this crap has shown up, and I dont know what to do about it. Like looking for a single drop of rain in the ocean.

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In any style, we all have times when it seems like the principles and dynamics we've worked on are just "clicking", and we can do no wrong.

Unfortunately... in any style, we also hit times when NOTHING we do is right. It's normal, and it's incredibly frustrating. Your teachers have given you the best advice they can; shut up, keep training, and keep the ideal in mind. Eventually, you'll get through this phase.

Personally, I've often found that the struggling period amounts to my body/mind integrating some new element that, after awhile, leads to a big leap in skill or ability. So there is light at the end of the tunnel! (But, dagnabbit, it's a dark tunnel sometimes!)

That's X-ACTLY what Shidoshi #1 said to me. And yes, that tunnel is a dark one, indead. It's just that i hope this IS a "normal" thing, and that in time, things will start to "click", It's just that I'm trying not to freak out at the present time, and to pick apart everything that i'm doning to get to the "meat" of it. But there are times when i feel a little discouragment at the progress that i'm making in doing this. Frusrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
K

For what its worth, I empathize. You sound as frustrated as I do when I’m pressing. I don’t know if taking some time off would help or not but there’s nothing wrong with a mental health day or two.

Otherwise, when I’ve run into a bad patch, I’ve always found it helpful to ramp up my solo training and getting back to basics; stretch, practicing moving through low kamae, sanshin, punching/kicking.

I’ve also found that it’s better for me to hit reasonable goals. If I say I’m going to do solo training five times a week and only hit two, the danger is that it’ll put me in a deeper mental hole. Lately, I’ve been lucky in that there is a gym across from my work and I can usually grab time during lunch or right after work. (Notionally, if I aim for 4-5 days and actually get to 3-4, I feel I’m doing all right. If I miss a day, I don’t try to make it up later. I just let it go). I have better luck doing a bit everyday but some people I train with prefer 2 long sessions a week.

Also, and this is my experience only, when I’m pressing I’m usually better off going through things slowly. When stretching, I make sure I hold the stretches for a slow count of thirty. When moving through kamae, it's a minimum count of 50. (Just pick three at a time) For sanshin, a ten count at the extreme ends of the movement and an eight count in the transition. When punching or kicking, I just work on one strike at a time (I’m sure you know we have more than the lunge punch). Throw 100 right, 100 left and repeat. When your form starts to break down stop of take a rest.

Your body will make specific adjustments to this type of training so if you fall into the habit of consistent solo training, you’ll have to change things up periodically. However, for me, slow training is usually pretty good at clearing out the cobwebs. Usually (after a couple weeks), I figure out that I’m too tense in the upper body and rediscover the feeling of moving from the point an inch or two under the belly button. I suspect leg strength has a lot to do with it.

Some other points (sorry if this is long winded, I’m almost done).

• If you do try this, work up to things. There have been posters in other boards that talk about throwing 1000 punches a day. While I agree with the concept, it takes time to build up to it. The first time I actually tried something like this, I did eight sanshin on a slow count before I had to stop to avoid the embarrassment of falling down.
• This type of training shouldn’t take away from dojo training. If you find yourself missing dojo training for solo training, re-evaluate. Solo training should make dojo training better/easier/more accessible. It shouldn’t replace it.
• Doing things slowly, can expose a lot of flaws in your movement. Make sure you are running questions past your teacher so you don't get into bad habits. For me, this was particularly true of punching.
• On the plus side, it can give you a good platform for asking specific, technical questions of your instructor.
• On a related note, pay attention to things you feel need work. I think part of training is identifying your own weak points and then working on them.

Finally, if you are still cross training, things change some. If you are still concentrating on the Bujinkan but keen on cross traing, I’d recommend doing at least 15- 20 min of sanshin or kamae work after every cross training session to keep the Bujinkan movements fresh in your system.

I hope that helps. And if anybody has any solo training ideas, I'd like to hear them.

-al

Yo, Al.

I know in Soke's book "Wisdom...." he talks on not neglecting solo training . I think that in supplementing my training that i need to take this a little more seriously as well. I really appreciate you sharing this, as well as the advise from all of the others on this "painful subject". This that you've given to me will be emplimented, and put to good use, believe me. (copying that right now.)
Arigato, buyu.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Tigg.

Believe me, I'm STILL trying to figure this one out, as earlier in my training, I used to almost NEVER struggle with this. But since shodan, this crap has shown up, and I dont know what to do about it. Like looking for a single drop of rain in the ocean.

Sounds like Shodan has some baggage attached that has thrown you off kilter. Could be a starting point for working things out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's X-ACTLY what Shidoshi #1 said to me. And yes, that tunnel is a dark one, indead. It's just that i hope this IS a "normal" thing, and that in time, things will start to "click", It's just that I'm trying not to freak out at the present time, and to pick apart everything that i'm doning to get to the "meat" of it. But there are times when i feel a little discouragment at the progress that i'm making in doing this. Frusrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One thing I've found to help me when I'm stalled or stuck like that is to go backwards.

Start at the bottom and "rebuild" everything. I'll use an example from my art; I'm sure BBT has recognizably similar elements. We have a punching routine or drill; I'll sometimes literally rebuild it from the start. I'll stop, and assess my stance, and make sure that's correct. I'll make sure I'm making the right shifts and leans, that my hands are each doing their job individually, then together, and even that my fist is correct. When I've done that -- I move from the basic stance to an actual fighting posture. And I'll look at the step; does it lead me into a solid stance? Was I moving the right direction; was I covered as I stepped in? Was I safe? Did I move my hands properly? And so on...

After 20+ years of training, I've hit that plateau or block many times. I've worked through it, and I've found myself falling back to spending more and more time on basics as my training has become more advanced. Make of this what you will...

But keep training!

benkyoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But when your NOT used to spending too much time one technique (per Soke's teaching style) , and later down the road you see this same technique, but presented with/as henka, the whole thing becomes one huge discombobulated mess, as the root technique hasen't even been firlmly grasped yet. Fustrating !!!!!

You just provided yourself the key to your answer...

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hear you on this one, as my technique can always benefit from some additional to detail. But when your NOT used to spending too much time one technique (per Soke's teaching style) , and later down the road you see this same technique, but presented with/as henka, the whole thing becomes one huge discombobulated mess, as the root technique hasen't even been firlmly grasped yet. Fustrating !!!!!

Soke's teaching style is not targeted towards people like you and me.
Train somewhere else if your instructors refuse to recognize that fact.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But when your NOT used to spending too much time one technique (per Soke's teaching style) , and later down the road you see this same technique, but presented with/as henka, the whole thing becomes one huge discombobulated mess, as the root technique hasen't even been firlmly grasped yet. Fustrating !!!!!

Well, he may be doing that purposefully... He is always saying capture the feeling of this...

Latest Discussions