No-contact Self Defense Jacket--Electrified Outerwear.

J

Jill666

What will they think of next.

I betcha it's 100% real. A crazy idea targeting the fearful and separate people from their money? Yup- sounds about right.

S

sweeper

doesn't sound like a good idea.. I mean think about the problems.. like if it rains.. If your freind sees you and gently touches you than gets shocked.. If you go to brush a hair out of your face and accidentlay brush your hand across your jacket.. if you are in a store and you accidentaly bump someone... etc.....

Also if you look at the videos it doesn't realy apear to do much.

Personaly I think it's just a visual effects project.

S

sweeper

maybe I shoulda followed this lik before I posted that :p

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,58914,00.html

Wired tends to be fairly good about reporting research projects.. Maybe it is real.. it would be fun to have one, get in a fight with one of those on *L*

But it doesn't look like it does much.. The videos don't realy show much reaction from the tester guy. Naturaly I would have to modify mine.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I think the little part at the bottom about it being funded by MIT's Council for the Arts explains it. It probably started as a joke/art project that someone later decided was marketable.

I wonder how well these would actually sell?

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read both of the articles. Yeah, I wondered about the person who's wearing it getting shocked. I also wonder if that might create static electricity with the woman's hair and who would want that? How many women want to wear the same jacket (as fashionable as it says it's supposed to be) every day? You probably wouldn't even have it with you if you need it or have time to use the key and charge it up in time. However, if it ends up saving just 1 woman's life, than it's worth it.

Robyn:asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BUT, what if, like so many other bogus concepts in personal defense, it instead puts women's (or men's) lives at risk.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
BUT, what if, like so many other bogus concepts in personal defense, it instead puts women's (or men's) lives at risk.

That's true. It could be dangerous to be more dependent on some object to save you instead of relying on your mind and skills. ("skills" if the person knows some sort of self defense)

Robyn :asian:

E

Elfan

JOKE

o well back to the hit them over the head and drag then back to the cave method

/JOKE

S

sweeper

you know, personaly I want to be shocked by the thing just to see what it's like :p

if it's a DC charge it shouldn't create all to much static because the curant shouldn't induce a changing electromagnetic field.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The No-contact Self Defense Jacket was mentioned in the 17 Nov. 2003 issue of Time (basically a "cool gifts for Xmas" segment).

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
To defeat it all you would need to do is throw a cup of water at the wearer's head.