inadequate in sparring

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been feeling kinda inadequate in my sparring abitities lately. I feel like i haven't been holding my own anymore. Does anyone asle ever go through this or is it just me? Any advise on how to get over this?

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by kenpo_cory
I've been feeling kinda inadequate in my sparring abitities lately. I feel like i haven't been holding my own anymore. Does anyone asle ever go through this or is it just me? Any advise on how to get over this?
It's probably just a lapse. I've gotten them once in a while. What it is most likely is mental. However, other factors would mean that you're too tired, or your diet needs to be changed.

I remember that if I ever had a lapse, or a plateau in anything from lifting to whatever, I would take a week off and get back into it. However, something may be bothering you mentally or emotionally, something that's just stuck in your mind.

C

chufeng

Everyone plateaus from time to time...
Just stick with your training...when it's time to make noticeable progress, it will just happen.

:asian:
chufeng

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
keep plugging away; you have to cross the plateau before you can start to climb again.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Everybody has bad days. Sometimes you hit a string of them together (I know I have). On a couple of my worst days, I've had my *** handed to me in sparring by people 2 or 3 belts lower than me (which is kinda funny when they're the people who are always asking you for sparring tips more than they ask anyone else).

Could be you're just tired. Could be you're mentally burned out. Could be you just need to stop thinking about it so much and just take a zen attitude toward sparring.

Let us know when you figure it out. :asian:

E

Eggman

Try to remember that sparring is just a game of tag and sometimes you are going to be it.

Y

yilisifu

Basics. Work your basics. You've probably hit a plateau as Chufeng noted. Don't give up. When your body and mind have assimilated everything, you'll be back on track.

G

gravity

Originally posted by Eggman
Try to remember that sparring is just a game of tag and sometimes you are going to be it.

I have to respectfully add that it depends on the type of sparring being conducted. I recently came back from Bangkok and trained in a pro Muay Thai camp and I can attest that those guys don't tag :D - each other I mean.....that should be tagging me, I'm fragile :rofl:

Have a good one

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_cory: you might want to first, take a couple of days off of sparring but continue to do some light working out, then when you come back when you spar concentrate on emphzise only one sparring princaple each time you spar, ie. emphzise working only counters to backfists, work on controling the distance, but whenever your oppenent throws a backfist, concertrate on 1. slipping and countering with a front hand to the ribs. 2. when the backfist is thrown, slip to the outside and throw a counter ridgehand to the head. and each w/o work on 1 offensive or defensive princaple. good luck train hard, train smart.

M

MartialArtist

Many times, (it occurs more times than you think with pros or people who put multiple hours daily), it may be a physical burn-out. Just rest for a while to get back up physically and stretch during that time period.

T

tonbo

Good suggestions, all around.

I would also recommend changing your mindset in sparring from time to time. If you feel like you are hitting the plateau, try changing your thinking for a bit: instead of working all your techniques, pick one thing to work on, and worry only about that. For example, don't worry about anything else except getting three backfists to the head (hitting your opponent, not receiving!!) during a match. Realize you will get hit in the meantime and don't worry about it.....just work your goal, and focus on that. It can be really refreshing, sometimes.

One thing I used in a recent match, just for fun, was to tell my partner what my goal was. Before the match started, I told her, "I'm going to hit you in the head 8 times". She laughed, and during the match, I proceeded to count out each time. It was fun, a challenge, and put a whole new spin on things.

Just something else to try...;)

Peace--

R

rmcrobertson

Just wanted to note--as somebody who got sidekicked in the face pretty good on Saturday--that I pretty much agree with what's been written. Sparring is silly anyway, but absolutely necessary--try not to take it excessively seriously, and just keep pluggin.'

Or to quote Chief Dan George, "Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn't."

OP
kenpo_cory

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions , I will definitely give em a try.

S

Shinzu

everyone has their down and outs. keep you head up and remember your training. things only get better with time.

T

the_kicking_fiend

I think you can try too hard sometimes in sparring and that messes you up. If your relaxed, with an open frsh mind I find my sparring is much better. Don't worry about trying to use one technique over and over, doing that will leave your mind unfocused on what your opponent is doing! I just find leave your mind fairly empty and react instinctively to what your opponent does. Then you're faster, sharper and will probably hold your own again! That's from my own experience anyway! :asian:

your friendly fiend,
d

E

ekkaia

what do you mean by inadequate? i've had problems with sparring recently as well. my gripe comes with the force i go at. i just can't bring myself to strike with much force and hurt the other person. apparently my hands are quite fast (this is what my sparring partners have said), so i usually just 'tap'. i even find myself drawing back with my fists so i don't actually connect with the head (very bad habit pulling shots i know...) we don't use equipment so i don't feel it necessary to pound the other person...

then the other day i come up against someone literally twice my size. 100kg (i'm 50) and he tried to pound the crap outta me! i'd never seen him spar or even touch hands with someone before, so i was just taking it easy and seeing what he had. at the time i didn't feel like he was trying to really hurt me, so i didn't get annoyed enough to go with a bit more force on him. i was just concentrating on myself and getting outta the way basically! i got a few of my tappy shots in, and in hindsight that's when he got aggressive. full weight behind his shoulder pushes and finally he got a punch in right to my mouth. shocked at the time, no bleeding or anything. i was ready to continue, hehe. (that didn't happen though, training bro got annoyed and sparred him instead, and dropped him :D ) later on my friends said he was going really hard on me and they wanted to take him on, haha. but how would/should one deal with such aggressive force in a sparring context? note the size difference, and my knee shots weren't acknowledged (he has bad knees, so i didn't go all the way through. and mind u, he'd back off a tiny bit and literally drive into me right afterwards). any thoughts? i've just come to the conclusion i shouldn't spar ppl like that, and the only way they learn is if i play dirty and kick their knees out :p :D

R

rmcrobertson

Yeah, I sympathize--just turned 50 too--and this is pretty much exactly how I got kicked in the face hard a couple of Saturdays ago.

The idea of smiling and passing over sparring the guy strikes me as good. However, sometimes you can't decently do that in classes. And I guess I think that as a black belt, we have a responsibility to teach...

For me, the problem is failing to act on what I know to be true. I knew this guy was a bit of a jerk--not consciously, but I could easily see that he was gonna be a problem because of stuff going on in the back of his head, and coming out in sparring--and I didn't initially act on what I knew to be true. Something big for me to learn, there...

Once I got nailed, though--well, I guess I thought, "If there are no rules, then there are no rules." Apparently I broke his cup, and there was other evil...I don't really recollect.

But I aslo think of two other issues in this context: a) problems big guys have learning the art; b) inadequate teaching.

Thanks.

K

Kirk

Well one thing I've learned from this thread is ... don't spar
people from outside your school. Kicking in the face and taking out the knees??? Here I was thinking sparring was a tool that you and your partner used to develop timing, and learning the proper gap necessary to use specific weapons.

Latest Discussions